AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Free Movement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  08:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
One thing I've noticed with the rise of energy in my body, is that the energy wants to move. True, the energy can move regardless of whether my body is moving, but nevertheless, the ecstatic compulsions that arise prompt me to do something with my body. Often that can be running a few miles, picking up my guitar, singing, dancing, walking, or whatever I have learned as a mode of physical activity.

However, in recent years, there has been an inclination to reach beyond what is seemingly learned. This spontaneity--this unscripted improvisation--allows me to develop a new relationship with energy and space that particularly helps with unwinding constrictions and easing symptoms of overload. There is a combination of relief and expression, which brings about freedom. That's why I call it free movement.

This usually happens when I am alone, but with friends that meditate and understand the dynamic quality of stillness in action, we do it together.

This is nothing original to me, and the word kriya has been used to describe such phenomenon. But I find it worthwhile to mention in a more American context, meaning that we are drawing from a melting pot of options that influence the flow. On that note, my free movement can turn out to be a collage of Qi Gong, Tai Chi, a spastic flailing of the limbs, martial arts-type shadow boxing, or more graceful, butterfly-like flutterings of the arms and legs. It just depends on the mood.

I just wanted to share this broad, umbrella technique because I know many people are struggling with overload, and this has helped me tremendously. Also curious to see if this kind of spontaneity is arising in other practitioners, so please chime in if such channeled wildness is bubbling up for you.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  09:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bodhi!
Now I can fully justify my chronic restlessness. I've always had it, sitting at desks, in front of computers. Yoga was the only thing that could cure it.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Dec 12 2014 09:28:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  10:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
my free movement can turn out to be a collage of Qi Gong, Tai Chi, a spastic flailing of the limbs, martial arts-type shadow boxing, or more graceful, butterfly-like flutterings of the arms and legs. It just depends on the mood.

Intention of expressing energy outwardly is important. My arousal sessions are very much based on free movement: a blend of asanas, dancing, flailing, and posing, all done in the spirit of surrender to the flow and play. I believe channeling energy outwardly, "samyama style", curtails buildup and overload symptoms, given I'll experienced little of it, in spite of the intensity of the practice.

Edited by - Dogboy on Dec 12 2014 10:01:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  9:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So glad to hear, BlueRaincoat. We have a wonderful disorder, don't we? This bhakti...maybe we'll have to call it...BGW...Bhakti Gone Wild. Then they'll have to concoct a pharmaceutical drug to treat it, but they will be oh-so-dismayed when they discover that the ecstatic fever is untreatable.

@Dogboy
Samyama style! Love it. I think you coined a killer term for a surfboard brand name. Shall we market it together?
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  9:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If your yogic powers continue to grow, watch out for the Ha-Do-Ken!

Street Fighter II style.

I also do the same mix up frequently. I also love to do free-form Chi Gong-like swimming in he shallow warm pool in the gym, which includes gator rolls, sinking, turning, crouching, and floating. Good stuff.

Edited by - Anima on Dec 13 2014 9:55:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  9:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL! God, I used to love playing Street Fighter II, and yes, Ken and Ryu were my two favorite characters to fight with. Nothing better than the blue ball of fire coming out of the hands.

Gator rolls! Now that's one I'll have to try.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  4:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000