New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  4:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Did it ever strike you that some opera music has a lot of inner silence to it? This area sends me into a trance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkcEdTpbP9E

And the first two lines are perfect for whispering to my ishta
"For the glory of adoring you
I will love you..."

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  5:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not musically inclined, never have been, until the conductivity. Now it registers at times in my heart center. I closed my eyes, emptied my being, and listened to your selection. Certain notes he hit strummed my bliss; I should add "attend an opera" to my bucket list! Thanks for Giving BR!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  5:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend listening to a selection of opera areas in the first stage.
When you've found out what voice range you resonate with and which composers you prefer, you will be in a position to choose an opera.
I think sitting though a whole opera is something for the seasoned opera fan
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  5:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
wonderful ,i have always loved lucianos voice, tenderness with strentgh and clarity never listened to much opera but i know when it hits the soul it goes deep .at the momment i am learning to play the bansuri with a nepali teacher and his love of music and the insights he gives me through his teaching relates so much to my practice ,what really hits my soul are the devotional raags ,they speak to me like the gita did and set me on the path to freedom.peace and love to you thankyou for sharing this part of your life
Go to Top of Page

NewbieGG

Bulgaria
52 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  04:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not just the opera , I suspect it is particular voice frequency that resonates with you , I found it in a few pop-songs some oldies or some of these new-age melody mantras on youtube :)

Check these two .When I first heard them it was like butterfly started to move in my forehead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swbvAIHViMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfCM_I4tS6c

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  06:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is not just the opera , I suspect it is particular voice frequency that resonates with you

Absolutely, Newbie, thanks for the kirtan. My kundalini teacher often plays kirtan in class and the combination of chanting and poses often sends me to higher realms.

I recall once, as a child, weeping at a live gospel choir.

Edited by - Dogboy on Nov 29 2014 06:34:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  09:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kumar ul islam
have always loved lucianos voice

Me too!
Just tried some bansuri music on youtube. The instrument makes a wonderful rich sound. Enjoy your lessons!

GG, thank you for the links. Beautiful!
You've got a point about voice frequency. There is also something about long notes and wide-breadth tunes that appeals to me. I find it frequently in opera.

Dogboy, you're a softie

Love to you all
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  10:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, thank you for opening this topic, it means a lot to me because music is the vehicle where I experienced spirituality (without even realizing it), long before beginning yoga. In fact, only after having spiritual experiences in yoga I understood that they were related to what I had been feeling when listening to music or by playing myself.

Music/sound is vibrating energy, and maybe this is why our nervous systems reacts to it easily.

I am very sensitive to some specific sounds. When a musician hits them, I just dive inside myself and experience bliss states similar to SBP and DM. It goes to a point that I must avoid to concentrate on such sounds when I am with other people, because I immediately switch to bliss state, often even cry because the feelings are so intense. This is beautiful when I am alone at home or in my car. Not so when I am on a bus or having dinner with friends...

Opera music is beautiful but it's not the kimd of music I tend to react with bliss to. It's more the blues, specially vocals and guitars. And baroque music too. Also, I noticed that I react to single notes played with full intent and attention, as if the intense vibration hits some inner string in me.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  11:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Magnanimous. Epic. Thank you for posting.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  12:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus
music is the vehicle where I experienced spirituality (without even realizing it), long before beginning yoga.

I completely relate to that.
When I was a teenager, my parents use to take me to the opera. After each show, I'd be left with a tune, which I'd repeat in my mind over and over again, while walking back home. And I'd get this floaty blissful feeling. That was mantra meditation, I am now sure of it.

Absolutely, music/sound is vibrating energy and the way you experience it is wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  1:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, Bodhi, Bodhi! Magnanimous? Epic? You can't just drop big words like that without qualifying them.

How can I explain this? It's like effusively complimenting a woman on her new dress when in fact you had not once lifted your nose out of the newspaper you were reading when she entered the room. What was it you liked about her dress? What was it you liked about our posts?

Do you see what I mean? (And I’m only putting this icon in because I can't find a wagging finger)
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  1:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha ha ha!
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  1:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Listen to this small clip of the Divine Sound and you will get the resonation. https://sites.google.com/site/dhyan...omdasji/home

L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  5:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Ah, Bodhi, Bodhi! Magnanimous? Epic? You can't just drop big words like that without qualifying them.

How can I explain this? It's like effusively complimenting a woman on her new dress when in fact you had not once lifted your nose out of the newspaper you were reading when she entered the room. What was it you liked about her dress? What was it you liked about our posts?

Do you see what I mean? (And I’m only putting this icon in because I can't find a wagging finger)

Well, well, well...let me articulate and give those adjectives some more weight!

His voice carries a magnanimous tone that is strongly masculine yet gentle. Though I don't understand the foreign language, the bravado in his enunciation nevertheless suggests an epic event is unfolding, and he clearly is embracing the majesty of the moment will full devotion and, dare I say, mastery.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  06:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@riptiz
Hi Dave
Thank you for the link. Synchronizing the brain hemispheres... very interesting.
Is Dhyanyogi Omdasji your guru?

@Bodhi Tree
So you are making fun of my favourite music! I did wonder when you first posted the magnificent epithets. Now it's clear you have crossed the line , I have to tell you I will not talk to you again, not until you produce a more suitable answer - that is appropriately sensitive, contrite and apologetic. And sincere.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  10:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've got something better for you than my words. My words could never elevate you to the altitude you so desire. However, this one is soaring with ecstacy, and may succeed where I have failed:

Music of the Night - Michael Crawford: http://youtu.be/F-GXo10hfKI
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  1:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blue Raincoat,
Yes Dhyanyogiomdasji is my sadguru. We are visiting the ashram in Ahmedabad again Dec 27th.We will be staying 2 weeks this time and will be carrying out an 11 day anustan once there.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  2:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Bodhi Tree
Thank you Bodhi, that is a beautiful song and you are thoroughly forgiven
You did mean the magnanimous epithets after all, didn't you?

@riptiz
Have a great time on your trip to India! Hope it yields a lot of progress
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  4:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

@Bodhi Tree
Thank you Bodhi, that is a beautiful song and you are thoroughly forgiven
You did mean the magnanimous epithets after all, didn't you?

Guilty as charged, and thank you.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  4:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was only pulling your leg (well, you gave me the opportunity ).
I know you're a good soul.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  5:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  05:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Pavarotti - I am a big fan as well.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  06:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Sey
He's great, isn't he?!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  09:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of Pavarotti, I've just remembered this episode from his biography:
At the time when he had just about finished his operatic studies and was giving his first recitals, he developed a nodule on his vocal cords, which appeared to make a musical career impossible.
He had to give it all up - the years of training and his dreams of a musical career. After he relinquished it all, the nodule disappeared, and - in his own words - "Everything I had learned came together with my natural voice to make the sound I had been struggling so hard to achieve"

I wonder if this episode took the ego out of his career. It is possible that he saw every bit of singing he did after this to be a privilege.

I remembered this story because there has been a shift in my attitude to my yoga practice recently. After years of seeing it as mostly a discipline, these days I see it mostly as a privilege. Every sitting is a gift. If I make progress, it is because I am allowed to – not a result of something I do.

Don't know if I'm putting it very well. I hope it makes sense

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jan 10 2015 09:44:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  12:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  10:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I wonder if this episode took the ego out of his career. It is possible that he saw every bit of singing he did after this to be a privilege.

Wow, beautifully put. Yes, every bit a gift. Even our gratitude is a gift, just given. Thanks for sharing this.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000