AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama: the more, the merrier?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  6:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If a group of people are releasing the same list of sutras (i.e. the recommended ones by AYP), does that amplify the essence of the sutras, by virtue of common attention on those particular words?

For example, if I am touching upon "radiance" and releasing that desire with a calm mind, are the effects of my samyama boosted by other practitioners who are doing the same exact thing (possibly at the same exact time)? Or is it completely dependent on my individual obstructions?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  06:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, interesting question Bodhi. and very difficult to prove either answer.
My take on group practices, including Samyama, is that each practitioner becomes more effective in his/her practice by virtue of being in a group that does the same thing. the mind or lets say nervous system of each person in the group, by some kind of resonance, manages to get deeper into the practice.
Others may have different opinions and I would not argue - this is typical belief territory. I can't imagine how a scientific experiment might look like that could prove either of the two possibilities you've outlined.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  09:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Our fellowship and sharing of the sutras and practices are producing more desire towards our path, by this amplification alone we change we grow our love is deeper, your words have already transformed me the exsperiment is us right now my words and your reaction so i send love forgiveness and peace to you both .
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  09:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your good wishes Kumar.

quote:
Originally posted by kumar ul islam
your words have already transformed me the experiment is us right now my words and your reaction

That is fair - we are all conducting our own personal experiments.

Love, forgiveness and peace to you too
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  4:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I resonate with the "more is merrier" aspect of Samyama practice. The AYP samyama sutras are welcoming to others, and conducive to community building.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  8:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, BlueRaincoat, kumar, and bewell.

How cool would it be if there was a delicate instrument that could measure the "radiance" of beings? There already is an instrument of course--the mind--but if they had a Ghostbusters-type gizmo that could sense the subtle vibrations, that would be pretty neat.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  12:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The instrument you talk of must've your smile bodhi
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  5:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  1:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely.

We may not levitate the Pentagon, but something important is being lifted already!

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2014 :  4:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum

Definitely.

We may not levitate the Pentagon, but something important is being lifted already!

Let's not rule that out though!
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2014 :  7:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just reading this I remembered a page in the Power of Now where Tolle (author) talks about this very issue:

"Group work can be helpful for intensifying the light of your presence. A group of people coming together in a state of presence generates a collective energy field of great intensity. It not only raises the degree of presence of each member of the group but also helps to free the collective human consciousness from its current state of mind dominance. This will make the state of presence increasingly more accessible to individuals."

Can't find the rest of the quote, but I think he says right afterwards that one should not come to rely on group work in place of individual practice.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2014 :  8:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. Thanks for the quote. Definitely makes sense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000