Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Ishta Lost and Found
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  11:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Allow me to tell you about my long lost ishta.

As a mere babe I was gifted a stuffed elephant from a great auntie. As I was unable to say 'elephant' it became known as Ellie. For the first six years of my life Ellie was my constant companion; he was my first 'show & tell' in kindergarten. As I grew, I grew away from Ellie, who became no more than a guardian of my pillow, a knick-knack on a shelf; by the time I had become a teenager, he had disappeared altogether.

Fast forward thirty-six years. Two years after the death of my father, my mother decided to downsize, sell the house and move to a retirement community. As the house was is a desirable neighborhood, my wife and I decided to sell our house and buy my childhood home. My parents had a hard time throwing anything out, and it took months to empty out the basement and all the storage areas. Lo and behold, behind a chimney stack that ran through an upstairs closet, I found my old companion Ellie.

Ellie had not aged well: he was blind and stained, and his head wobbled about on his frail neck. I gave him a bleach bath and petitioned my wife to give him some eyes. From her button stash, I chose two black textured buttons and, just for fun, a multicolored one for his third eye. I tucked Ellie into a cloth drawstring bag and stored him in my sock drawer.

Fast forward three more years, to last year when I discovered AYP and started meditation. I decided to usurp an underutilized nook on the top floor for a meditation space, set up a yoga mat and bolster, hang my chakra and Buddist prayer flags and set up an alter for all my yoga talismans. Soon after, my asana teacher told our class the story of Lord Ganesha, the devoted son of Parvati and deity created by her to be the gatekeeper at the muladharah chakra; the shield to protect the divine secret from unripe minds. I realized I had my very own Lord Ganesha, and promoted him from guarding my socks to lord over my yoga nook.

A few weeks ago, in the midst of an energetic meditation, the image of my Ellie Ganesha flashed into my mind, followed immediately by the sensation of love spilling from my chest like a lava flow. My reaction startled me so much I passed on samyama and went directly into rest, all the while feeling the hallowed presence of Ellie Ganesha over my right shoulder. After rest, I turned and gathered Ellie into my arms and nestled him like a newborn. As soon as my face pressed against his, I fell into a kundalini coma, an energy state so intense it stole my breath and sent my heart rate into overdrive. I held on to Ellie and we ride that wave together until it runs it's course; his mottled cotton flesh absorbing my tears of joy. For you see, it was not Ellie that was lost and blind all those years; it was I.

I have instructed my wife that when my time comes, Ellie Ganesha is to accompany me into the crematory fire so we will be together for eternity.

If you wish to see Ellie Ganesha, click on my profile picture!

Edited by - Dogboy on Nov 07 2014 05:36:09 AM

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  01:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing, Dogboy. Nothing like starting the day with a shower of divine tingles down the spine!
Go to Top of Page

orangesky

Germany
39 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  06:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful story, Dogboy! And Ellie Ganesha in constant crown samadhi with this massive crown chakra, lol.... good idea, great picture......
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  07:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So sweet...

Big hug to you and to Ellie.

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  09:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OMG... that is the sweetest story evva!!!

I have an Ellie of my own.. his name is Paul... a doll... my BFF since I was 3... he knows more about me than anyone else... and has lived through all my tears... not just at 3.. even at 21 . As a child my grandma and I would share him.. kinda like joint custody.. she would keep him for a year and then over summer I would visit her and bring him back home. So He is very special. When I came to the US I had left him behind in India, my mom brought him back to me one year. He too was in bad shape... got him fixed up and he sits in my bedroom.. still watching over me.

quote:
I have instructed my wife that when my time comes, Ellie Ganesha is to accompany me into the crematory fire so we will be together for eternity.

I wouldn't want to interfere with your wishes... but maybe leave Ellie with someone you love... that way your presence and protection will be with that person even after you are gone. The one I will give my Paul to isn't here yet... but will be.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  09:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Had the same idea, Shanti: my Ellie (45 years old) now sleeps in my son's bed.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  12:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti & Ecdyonurus,

quote:
I wouldn't want to interfere with your wishes... but maybe leave Ellie with someone you love... that way your presence and protection will be with that person even after you are gone.

Yes, this is perhaps a preferred option for some, but not for me. I have two daughters; my eleven year old is autistic and is attached to and hoards an odd assortment of items (broken sunglasses, pens, scraps of paper for example) and has a talent for breaking things. My typical thirteen year old is attached to her friends, her phone, her clothes, the mall...if may be years before she would accept such a gift willingly and understand the depth of my attachment to Ellie. I lost Ellie at a similar age under a similar mindset. Not to mention the state of her room! Ellie would be carried away in the riptide of clothing on the floor!

Besides I plan to live to 100 (); in another forty + years, we will both be looking worse for wear so the funeral pyre may be our best solution. We came in together, we should go out together, in a blaze of glory!
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  1:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  1:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good Dogboy! I wouldn't give my Paul to my kids either

Like I said "The one I will give my Paul to isn't here yet... but will be"... I have felt her presence in my future. So maybe you will find that someone as well... especially if you are planning on living to be a 100.

Much Love to Ellie and You! Give him a hug from me.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  7:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Such a lovely post, Dogboy! Made me tear up

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  8:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a sweet story! and the photo is adorable.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  4:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

and, just for fun, a multicolored one for his third eye.

Yes! Now THAT is style!
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  8:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A very cool story.

Thank you Dogboy
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  8:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for sharing, my friends. The greatest gift is rediscovering love from a perspective of a child, how honest and pure and overwhelming it can be. I wasn't searching for my beloved, but it found me ripe and ready for the taking; Ellie broke down the door to my heart and set up camp. Looks like I've got a roommate!
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  01:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I realized I had my very own Lord Ganesha, and promoted him from guarding my socks to lord over my yoga nook.

Maybe he promoted you

He's beautiful!

Edited by - Anima on Nov 09 2014 02:46:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  12:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  08:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Heart-warming. Thank you for sharing Dogboy
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2014 :  05:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Dogboy

Allow me to tell you about my long lost ishta.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story Dogboy! I feel so happy to find this AYP site, exploring all those lessons and reactions. Sometimes I wish that I found this years ago but on the other hand it is good that I learned a lot all by myself. There are no expectations anymore now I know that everything happens when it is time. Love
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2014 :  07:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your comments. A small detail I left out: Ellie Ganesha has a small bell sewn inside his right ear. Each time I lift him up he greets me which makes my heart sing. Every now and again I lay him on my bolster and rest my hands on him and we enter the silence together. I cannot truly express the depth of gratitude I have for ecstatic kinship I share with the Yoga's Gatekeeper.

Love and great yoga to all .

Edited by - Dogboy on Nov 27 2014 07:18:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  10:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been more than six months from this original post; the gift of Ellie Ganesha (click my profile picture to meet him) has deepened my yoga in unexpected ways, so I thought I'd update.

It was quite apparent bonding again with Ellie has opened my heart chakra immensely. In high energetic states I seem to be able to "offload" energy merely by conjuring his image and it registers there, like a release valve. My sits are all now high energy affairs; very throat and third eye centric, and in the past couple of months, nascent crown activity. Guru Inyou has advised one sit daily because of Less/More. And now by the conclusion of a session with "I thought, what am I?", there is the sensation of the "energetic Yoni" (as AYP member Juan described in a Tanta posting) for my answer; as if I am being downloaded with code; as if I am androgynous.

And as I come out of rest, I reach for Ellie Ganesha, remove his pine cone lotus, and cup him to my chest, and bury my face in his neck. It is almost as if I can smell my childhood there; all my human baggage is forgotten and I am bared, free, and filled with love to share. What a sight that must be, a middle aged man nussling a stuffed animal! And now telling the world about it! it is a shameless reminder to be playful, to be loyal; A reminder that yoga is intertwined in everything, if only your button eyes could see; if only you are open enough, pure enough, to hear the tinkling bell in your ear.

To be able to physically interact with my ishta has been the greatest blessing of all, for when there is contact, my energetic residue seems grounded, and thus far, keeping overload at bay. I encourage all to search for your ishta, whatever image, concept, or form that resonates with you in your heart center, if for nothing else, as a self pacing tool at your disposal.

Edited by - Dogboy on Jun 16 2015 10:19:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2015 :  09:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

if only your button eyes could see; if only you are open enough, pure enough, to hear the tinkling bell in your ear.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000