Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Lazy man seeks vegetarian food suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2014 :  06:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Just got back off shamanic retreat. I am feeling the need to keep the energy light. I want my food suffering-free.

Whether that mean being vegan, vegetarian, or only eating meat that is high welfare, I've yet to decide.

The only issue here is that I do follow some athletic endeavours, and despite eating lots of lentils and hemp protein, I have lost some muscle tone and strength. I may need to reintroduce eggs at the very least.

I have a million other things on mind at the moment as well, so am throwing this out to this community to offer some of their favourite vegan/vegetarian food and recipe suggestions for high protein, vital meals.

We are Love, We are One.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2014 :  2:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Jack

I find that replacing meat with cheese and/or eggs works for many common recipes e.g.
- kedgeree - take out the fish and add grated cheese on top (egg is already in the recipe)
- potatoes - replace the sausage with a mixture of vegetables, cheese and sometimes one/two fried eggs on top.
You can combine either of the above with veg rich in protein e.g. peas, beans - you probably know a good list of these.

I also drink large amounts of milk - it's great because it makes such an easy meal. Add muesli or bread and it's ready to go.

I used to be more of a vegetarian than I am now. Especially since my kundalini got going, I find that vegetarian food - even lots of eggs and dairy - is not enough, so I often fall back on chicken and fish.

One interesting discovery I made is that my muscles got visibly toned after increasing the cholesterol in my diet (more eggs, dairy and meat). No, it didn’t make me fatter, heighten my blood pressure or made me unhealthy in any way - on the contrary. I supposed there is a balance in everything. I used to have a diet very low in cholesterol (I was very health conscious) and I have to say higher intakes of cholesterol made me feel healthier - gave me extra energy as well as toning my muscles. It was quite striking - I noticed the effects within a few months from changing my diet. It makes sense when you think about it - cholesterol is the precursor of steroid hormones, which you need to build muscles.

I have never tried a vegan diet for more than a few weeks at a time, but I get the impression it's very low in cholesterol. If you've been vegan for a long time, that may explain your loss of muscle tone and strength. I'm not saying anyone should go to extremes, eating burgers and fast food, but I now believe a certain amount of cholesterol is good for you.

Sorry I can't give you recipes as such – I sort of make them up as I go along. I usually start with a carb basis (typically potatoes, rice or pasta) to which I add a selection of veg - whatever I happen to have at hand, then top it up with dairy and/or eggs, sometimes fish or chicken depending on how hungry I am.

Hope this helps.
All the best
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2014 :  2:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,
I have been vegetarian for about 30 yrs and trained in martial arts longer than that.I found that training hard still meant my muscle tone was fine. Using weights you can still bulk up. I suggest you avoid the carbs like potatoes and pasta but if you are still eating rice ensure you eat lentils in the same meal as they make for a complete protein.There are many easy meals available on the net. Kichidi is an easy one consisting of rice and lentils and recipes can be found in lots of places.Do a search for menus, there are loads of free resources.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2014 :  4:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Dave

Potatoes taste so good. What would be the reason for avoiding them?
And if pasta is not OK then bread is not OK either?
You've made me very curious
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2014 :  2:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blueraincoat,
Potatoes,bread pasta or any grains are simple carbs that act like sugar in the body contributing to high blood pressure, diabetes and other various problems.If you look on Dr Mercola.com and do a search you will find loads of info.Sugar is one of the worst thing we can consume now for obesity and health.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2014 :  12:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see, that's probably why I feel like combining pasta and potatoes with other veg. That seems to work for me - not sign of obesity or high blood pressure here. Sugars I seem to tolerate less and less as the years go by - I dislike confectionery and most deserts taste too sweet. I can feel the sugar rush they give me and do not enjoy the experience at all.
Thank you for explaining.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  11:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  09:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

Here's a recipe I love from a California Baby Limas pamphlet. You can add ingredients or omit. I'm in the US so measurements are in cups, Tbsp, etc.

3 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Clove Garlic, minced
3/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
5 C. Cooked Baby Lima Beans, drained
1 C. Chopped Tomatoes
1/3 C. Diced Red Onions
1/4 C Chopped Fresh Basil

Mix the first 6 ingredients, Add Beans, Tomatoes, Onions, and Basil. Makes5-6 Cups. I like it refrigerated, Eaten over a couple days. Now, I leave out the garlic and substitute wild chives for onions, since I'm pitta imbalanced.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  11:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carrots, basil, goat's cheese. Carry and eat sporadically.
Also, maybe a doughnut?
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  12:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum

Carrots, basil, goat's cheese. Carry and eat sporadically.
Also, maybe a doughnut?

This sounds yummy!!! Can I add peas and maybe drizzle some oil over it?

I took a cooking class in my younger days. We had an actual chef in our class. He stir-fried couscous, cherries, and cashews. It was one of the best dishes I've ever tasted.
Go to Top of Page

ekmau

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2014 :  10:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Jack!

I once got the best advice for diets from a lovely man from Haiti, a shaman who told us about his lesson in food.

A diet (vegetarian diet) need only consist of whole grains and vegetables. With this diet, you have everything you need - for being healthy, and pure. Wholegrains means rice, buckwheat, millet, quinoa that sort of thing, and vegetables steamed if possible, makes up the need in your apetite!

The reason being he said that every grain that sees the sunlight contains all the cosmic information in it that your body needs, and so in eating the se cosmically filled grains we are feeding our bodies exactly what they need…

good luck on your journey with vegetarian food!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000