AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Shambhavi Mudra Refinement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  1:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi Shambhavi Mudra Practitioners

I noticed something for the first time today in the Shambhavi lesson. I thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else might enjoy it (see italicized portion below).

Namaste

"First is a gentle furrowing of the brow, the point between the eyebrows. It is bringing the two eyebrows slightly toward the center. This is barely physical, mostly just an intention. It is only physical enough to allow feedback for a habit to form. Under normal circumstances it will not be visible to an outside observer. Maybe only a little in the beginning stage. With practice, you will find that this is really an internal movement reaching back into the center of your brain, pulling the center of your brain forward toward the point between the eyebrows."
http://www.aypsite.org/56.html

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2014 :  5:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The shift to inner seeing.

In the SBP lesson, Yogani writes "as the attention goes up and down in the spinal nerve with the breath, the eyes remain aimed up toward the point between the eyebrows."

I've had difficulty with this instruction. My eyes tend to go up and down with my attention. When the shift happened so that attention went up and down while they eyes stayed aimed upward, it was because of ongoing practice and because of a clear separation of inner seeing from outer seeing. Yogani explains it here:

"The eyes are physically going there, but our attention is going up and down in the spinal nerve. In fact, our physical eyes aren’t doing anything other than muscular. When they are going up to the point between the eyebrows, the eyes are physically stimulating the spinal nerve all the way back through the brain and all the way down through the spine to the perineum. We are using our eyes in a physical way to awaken the spinal nerve. Meanwhile, our vision (attention) is in and through the spinal nerve, easily going up and down inside. It is a new kind of seeing we are beginning, an inner seeing."

Instead of looking at my spinal nerve, I was looking "in and through the spinal nerve."
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2014 :  02:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's right! Glad you have "seen the light"

much love

Sey
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2014 :  9:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

The shift to inner seeing.

In the SBP lesson, Yogani writes "as the attention goes up and down in the spinal nerve with the breath, the eyes remain aimed up toward the point between the eyebrows."

I've had difficulty with this instruction. My eyes tend to go up and down with my attention. When the shift happened so that attention went up and down while they eyes stayed aimed upward, it was because of ongoing practice and because of a clear separation of inner seeing from outer seeing.

Hi bewell and All:

For anyone who needs help with separating what the eyes are doing physically in sambhavi and what the attention is doing internally during spinal breathing, there is an exercise in Lesson 131 that might be helpful. The lesson is called, "Coordinating sambhavi and spinal breathing."

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2014 :  9:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani for the link to the lesson.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  1:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lesson 131 is brilliant. I've been doing SBP for years, but still there is room for refinement. For me, a key concept in this lesson is "sensory feedback."

Edited by - bewell on Oct 30 2014 1:37:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000