Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The Attention Revolution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  5:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm sure many of you know of this already, but I wanted to bring it back. The Attention Revolution by Alan B. Wallace is a practical, hands-on guide to attaining shamatha, which is regarded as a prerequisite to many advanced insight related practices in Buddhism (such as Vippasyana). The meditations are 24 minutes long, and you slowly increase as you advanced through the 9 stages. There is a milestone for each stage for you to compare and see if you have attained it. It is basically breath watching meditation, letting the breath flow by itself and observing (you DO NOT manipulate it in any way). Anyway, I had to move from AYP because of excessive overload and this book has supported my new meditation routine for about half a year. If you want to know what differences there are between the two systems (not theoretical but experiential), feel free to message me.

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  12:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  2:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ak33, I read this book some months ago and I enjoyed it a lot.

Regarding this book, I always remember a post for which I am gratefull in other forum of a guy who recommended this book and the little variation that he added to the practice: to visualize in the front a small ball of light, which goes up one or two inches with the inhalation as it gets brighter, and goes down to the original position with the exhalation. The key is that the attention follows movement.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000