Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Sleep reduction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Astavakra

Austria
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  11:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Astavakra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends in Sadhana,

since my little kids were born and due to the urge of bringing home money, my time for Sadhana has continuously be taken from time to sleep ...

still i need about 7 hours ...

please give me any suggestion (except polyphasic sleep) how to be able to reduce to 5 hours about ...

thanks a lot in advance
Astavakra

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  09:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Astavakra, welcome to the forum
I have not heard of any quick solution to this problem. Yoga practice does, in time, reduce the length of time we need for sleep, but I don't think you can rush it. Perhaps somebody more advanced than me will be able to advise.
In the meantime, I hope you will manage to keep things in balance and get the rest you need.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  12:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Even when advancing the time for sleep does not really reduce, only when advanced to a substantial degree 6 hours may work, then perhaps 5.

When your practice routine has mantric elements, then this will have the greatest effect on decreasing the need for sleep or in better words, to compensate lack of sleep. Still your body will be thankful if it is allowed to sleep for as long as it needs :P

The kind of work you do also has a great influence on the need of sleep. If possible, attune your working environment and content in a way that more life energy is in it, examples given:

If the work is mainly inside buildings, try to transfer elements from it to the outisde where you have more bodily motions, more fresh air and contact with the sun.

If working inside is unavoidable, look for a place at a big window where you will see the sun, trees, nature etc.

If that is also not possible, bring in some trees and plants into the office rooms, working rooms etc. Communicate with those who can decide on changes to check for air quality and ways to optimize it, like humidity, oxygen rate, etc.

Whenever possible take your breaks in places where life is flowing :)

Besides all of this, you may need to optimize the food you eat and the water you drink aswell, from those that take away your energy to those that give you energy.

A special hint for you, you can look into the topic of ketogenesis, ketosis and keton bodies, which if applied correctly will provide you with unfluctuating and continuous energy the whole day. I had intentions to write more about it in these forums, but am still in testing different aspects of it. In general the results so far were very good (= Still you will need sleep, but your energy supply will always be nr.1 :)

Peace and happy practice despite all demands of daily life! :)

Edited by - Holy on Sep 28 2014 1:00:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  01:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I've been tight on time, I've practiced in the bathroom stall at work. (In fact, at my last job I practiced in the bathroom stall pretty regularly since I had enough down time).

i don't think it would be wise to reduce your sleep even further in order to meditate, if your body tells you you need more sleep. You will likely just end up sleeping through your meditation.

The only other option I could think of is if you took up Insight meditation practices, which can be performed outside of sitting meditation while doing any activity. Insight practices are very effective, and make an excellent adjunct and/or addition to sitting meditation. Technically, SBP could be considered a form of insight practice, as the mind rests in the awareness of movement, enhancing its perceptivity (while also clearing out pathways). And Insight is about enhancing the perceptivity and awareness of mind through being mindful of movement and change. An excellent and free book on Insight meditation is "Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha." http://integrateddaniel.info/book/

The "noting" technique is particularly potent, and was reminiscent to me of samyama, and the way that I practice the "I am" mantra.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000