Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama during the day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2014 :  5:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was reading the AYP Samyama book - Very exciting and fascinating! Although I have not been practicing the formal Samyama as in AYP, I have been trying to adopt a ‘let go’ approach in day-to-day life – letting go of any negativity – not necessarily world hunger or poverty, but small incidents and memories that felt hurting. And I wonder if I can replace this ‘let go’ practice with Samyama. For example, I felt frustrated at a situation or was hurt by someone, can I practice Samyama to dissolve that particular incident?

In fact I tried that yesterday and the result was good – I sat in silence for a few minutes - tried to pick up the incident faintly, perhaps not as faintly as advisable, yet – and then went back to silence. The difference here is that the objective here is very specific, rather than a sutra such as ‘obstructions’, which seems very broad and abstract. Also, while trying to pick up the sutra at the edge of silence, I saw images and/or words or people associated with that incident popping up and I tried to sort of dump them into silence. I am not sure if Samyama can be practiced at this ‘small scale’ - or is it perhaps advisable to apply to only larger somewhat universal ‘values’ or sutras, like those suggested in the book?

I noticed in the forum people talking about living in 24/7 Samyama – I guess that is effortlessly happening to them in the background – I am not talking about that, I haven’t reached there yet! What I am talking is purposefully doing Samyama to dissolve petty but often lingering hurtful incidents during the day. And of course this may not be structured in time, occurring at random points during the day - no sutras involved, just incidents or images that are bothering you.

I recall the mention of transferring emotional energy toward Bhakti and the example of being stuck in a traffic jam in lesson 340 (http://www.aypsite.org/340.html), as a tool to deal with day-to-day frustrations, but not sure if that is connected to Samyama. Samyama seems more appealing since it has a concrete procedure which we can try to follow.

And, another thing,when I am in silence just before picking the thought, I feel like being inside a vacuum bubble, and I can sort of 'see' the thoughts/images outside of the bubble, waiting to enter into. I don't know if this stage is truly 'silence' but that is my pre-thought or pre-sutra phase. Since I know I need to pick up the 'sutra' or thought soon, they are already waiting outside. The silence period post-sutra is more pure, where I can let go into silence. Not sure if this is OK. Perhaps just the clunky stage in the beginning?

Just wanted to share these and the excitement of having tried Samyama; would love to hear any feedback. Thank you!

With a lot of Bhakti rising this week, just couldn't resist the temptation to post another question:), Thank you Yogani, AYP and everyone for this wonderful forum.

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2014 :  7:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2014 :  10:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DV :)

Good stuff and just a couple of points if you don't mind.

When we look at an emotional upset I think there are two types. The lesser type is something we can just let go of, like someone cutting us of while driving. The other type is the kind that really bothers us that seems to last all day.

Let's talk about the second more difficult kind first. For that I really like the teachings of Michael Brown.
http://www.thepresenceportal.com/Ar...Part%20I.htm
and
http://www.thepresenceportal.com/Ar...eriences.htm

What Michael teaches us is to be with the emotion in our emotional body. Don't worry about the story or the why just be with the feeling in your body. This helps to quite the mind, losen the grip it has on us and it can integrate the emotional upset. I have also used this when dealing with overloads. This is a powerful technique.

Samyama can be practiced in a large or small scale. What I find Samyama doing is teaching the mind. Just look at the practice. We take the inkling of a thought and let it go. We don't think about it we return to silence. We are teaching ourselves how to let go. How to let anything go into silence and not bring it back as a mind story. Now think how with continued practice and silence filling your day how effective this practice becomes. How everything that attaches becomes easier and easier to let go into our built up/expanding silence.

Here is a great article on how to use Samyama and Self Inquiry.
http://livingunbound.net/lessons-re...elf-inquiry/

You are doing Great!
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2014 :  5:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jonesboy,

Thank you so much for taking time to reply and for all the resources!! I guess being on this form and being helped by all of you is truly a spiritual opening

Your words are certainly reassuring, as far as my Samyama questions are concerned. I'll read the links you mentioned.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2014 :  03:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To add to the excellent points made by Jonesboy, it is important to note, however, that Learning to let go is only one aspect of Samyama and can be used in situations as you described above. The other aspect of Samyama brings back out into our lives the value words we have dropped into our silence as Stillness in Action. In the end it is all boils down to this - stillness in action in our daily lives.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2014 :  5:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dv2014

i also try to do the Samyama during the day to surrender and let go when the issues becomes too much to handle. Agree with most of the points made by Soy and Jonesboy.

Jonesboy, thanks for the nice links. It is really helpful.

Enjoying the ride

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2014 :  10:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both, Sey and PKJ. Sey: thanks for the pointer to Samyama on positive aspects.

Blessed to be in the company of you all
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000