Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 AYP and ISHA Shambhavi Mahamudra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bowserlm

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  01:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if there was anyone on the forums who has experience with both the AYP practices and Shambhavi Mahamudra as taught by Sadhguru at Isha Foundation.

I took the Inner Engineering course with Sadhguru and was initiated into the practice. It's a powerful Kriya, and I was wondering if there is anyone who has any idea as to the yogic science behind it vs the AYP Deep Meditation and Spinal Breathing Pranayama.

For a little while as part of my morning routine I would wake up and do the Five Tibetan Rites just to get my system alive and working, and then I would sit for the Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya which takes about 35 minutes to do, including the preparatory asanas, and then I would do 10 minutes of AYP Spinal Breathing Pranayama and 20 minutes of Deep Meditation. All in all, this sequence took me nearly 2 hours to do in the morning before I was finished. Which is a bit too long, and still maintain some kind of a normal life.

After a while, I took out Shambhavi Mahamudra because that was the biggest Kriya, and the one I had to sort of psyche myself up to do. It's also a very difficult Kriya to do if you happen to be around other people in the morning, as there are some funny and bizarre aspects to it. I found that I wasn't able to maintain consistency of twice daily practice of it as Sadhguru stresses once it's initiated.

The AYP practices however, of SBP and DM are a little gentler it seems, and also a bit easier to just do anywhere under any circumstance. I find that much easier to deal with and maintain a consistent twice daily practice.

So -- my question for anyone who might be out there who has some kind of experience with Shambhavi Mahamudra and may have a little insight as well as to the Yogic science and physiology of what is going on, what can be said as far as the differences in practice, and most specifically the speed and efficiency of the purification going on, and of the higher functioning being activated?

Am I potentially missing out on a very powerful Kriya technique by leaving it out of my current practice, vs switching back to Shambhavi Mahamudra instead of the AYP techniques?

I'm curious because Shambhavi Mahamudra is Isha's flagship technique and the main one that Sadhguru travels the world teaching, which makes me think that it is a very powerful technique that I should consider finding a way to work into my lifestyle. Especially because I spent the time, money and energy to travel and learn the technique.

The thing that is confusing about all of this Kriya stuff is that it all seems to be doing the same thing, but in slightly different ways and with slightly different intensities and speeds. What's confusing though is that most of this stuff is supposed to be considered 'secret' and not talked about, and one is supposed to be 'initiated' into the practice, which makes cross-comparing notes with different practices and styles very difficult. That is why I thought to post here. What I like about the AYP approach in general is that it is a Do It Yourself approach to spirituality and higher functioning, which is very much my style. I've been self taught in anything I've done or been successful at. Being self taught though, I'm always on the lookout for ways to tweak or improve what I might be doing in order to make sure that I'm applying myself in the best ways. Which is why I'm asking about Shambhavi.

I don't want to willingly trade in a fast car (Shambhavi) for a slower more reliable sedan (AYP -- potentially) just because driving it is a little more outside of my comfort zone.

I appreciate any insight, and I apologize for the length of the post. These are many long standing questions that are now finding a home in one place.

Thanks guys! Namaste.

Edited by - AYPforum on Sep 13 2014 06:55:58 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  06:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  07:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bowserlm,

To be honest I can't comment much since I don't know your practices.
Regarding the usual Shambhavi Mudra, it helps me gather the energy in the head, but to be able to see Kuthasta besides Yoni Mudra I needed to add Thokar (close variant of Chin Pump)to my routine. So once you stabilize in your routine and add little by little the elements indicated in the AYP lessons, you may want to try Chin Pump. Then after some time you'll be able to compare the effect of both practices.

Edited by - Will Power on Sep 13 2014 07:31:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

dhyanaroop

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  09:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit dhyanaroop's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have successfully integrated Shambhavi Maha Mudra (SMM) in to my daily AYP practice. SMM is a modified version of the one taught in the Kriya Yoga tradition in which it is done with open eyes. You will find this technique in the AYP practice set too. Sadhguru used to teach it that way too but modified it finding that people have tough time dping it with eyes open. The current version is really powerful and opened up my kundalini in a matter of few weeks of practice.
Apply all precautions that Yogani suggets for SBP too. Always precede it with DM. My practice routine is to have SMM followed by SBP followed by Transcendental Meditation (TM). This works like a charm. The energy is intense. Your body is in perfect bliss and your mind is perfectly aligned with the senses. It is also easy to have energy overruns. So if you are feeling restless then cut back. Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  6:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi at all :)

Those being in contact with Jaggi Vasudevs teachings, he has expanded his aresenal of techniques and systems quite a lot. Would you like to elaborate a little on the additions and how they are regarded and placed in his sight? :)

There is his Inner Engineering which can be learned online via streams, but to make this IE complete the attendance to his SMM is needed in person.

Then he created Isha kriya, which can be learned online for free with which I had very very nice and very intense revelations about my self being god several years ago in the first two test sessions but had not continued with it. Reasons the moment I stopped with kriya yoga, Isha kriya itself did not do what it had done with the kriyas before.

Lately while browsing on youtube I saw that he has added a lot from hatha yoga, also going into physical fitness and 5 elements cleansing techniques etc.

Apart from that there is a shoonya meditation from him.

Here one can get an overview on the different things he teaches today: http://www.ishayoga.org/

Any hints are welcome!
Thanks and happy practice :)
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  08:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shambavi mahamudra is hatha yoga kriyas. It's not as powerful the type of Kriya ayp. Shambavi mahamudra is more about health( mental physical welling) . Kriya s that internalize focus in the spine work a lot faster and the effects are more noticeable . Its more about liberation
Go to Top of Page

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  08:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
CORRECT.
quote:
Originally posted by adishivayogi

Shambavi mahamudra is hatha yoga kriyas. It's not as powerful the type of Kriya ayp. Shambavi mahamudra is more about health( mental physical welling) . Kriya s that internalize focus in the spine work a lot faster and the effects are more noticeable . Its more about liberation

Go to Top of Page

nagabodhi

Venezuela
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  10:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I am new at the forum so I can't reply from the official AYP viewpoint.

Sambhavi mudra is a state, the real sambhavi mudra is spountaneous which is the goal of sambhavi mudra as a practice so there may be slighty different versions but the goal is the same.

Spontanous Sambhavi Mudra is experienced when the pulsation/radiance of Ajna has bloomed and the eyes don't blink. At advanced states the moon chakra (forehead) and crown chakra are awakened and the attention can go to those instead of the middle of eyebrows. This is the truly Shaiva way of meditation, where its considered that only Shiva the radiance at sahasrara (and not the ego) can wake up and master the kundalini.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000