Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 How to proceed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uniath

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  11:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

Just a brief history: I’m a 26 years old university student but for a few years I’ve been kinda stuck with my life. Partying on the weekends and doing pretty much nothing in between. I had the feeling that I’m missing my purpose and therefore not really motivated to work or study. About six months ago I decided to take control of my life, that otherwise I would just waste it.

Still not knowing what to do, I ended up reading self-help material and eventually about the link between conscious and subconscious mind etc. That’s actually the reason I tried meditation in the first place, I realized that the change must come from within. If I learn to understand my mind I can achieve anything. For the first time in a long time, I got really motivated. There was so much I could do to improve my life and life of those around me.

So, I meditated for the first time about a month ago. I knew nothing about meditation, I was just trying some guided meditations on youtube, which had a very calming effect on me.

But then, two weeks later, I had this peaceful experience that really opened my eyes. I was meditating on binaural beats and at some point I just entered in this trance-like state. My eyelids were fluttering uncontrollably and heart was beating really loudly. Then I entered in this blissful place. I remember thinking that a newborn baby must feel this way; all stress and worries gone, just complete peacefulness. For a few hours after this experience I felt so relieved, all I could do was smile. At this point I knew that meditation will always be a part of my life. After that I had similar experience for a few times but not quite as profoundly.

Two days later I heard ringing in my ears for the first time. At the same day, during meditation, I felt this energy at my root chakra. It felt better than sex. I have had some other experiences too, but those are the highlights.

About the ringing sound. I find it very calming. It usually comes when it is quiet, but if I don’t concentrate on it, it goes away. I can also hear it anytime at will. It usually starts with left ear but if I concentrate on right ear I’ll hear it there too. I can kind of play with the sounds and balance the tones, even though both are at different high pitch frequencies. If I get both sounds to certain “harmony” I can actually hear a third sound, which seems to come from somewhere in between.

When I look at the sky and concentrate for a while I can see some sparkles of light like swirling and dancing around. I might have seen those when I was a child but haven’t paid any attention since. And I can also see some vibration in the air, it’s like drizzling(if that is the correct word).

All of this started after I had that blissful experience, so I have a feeling those are related. To sum it up, I feel more aware.

I’m not a religious man nor do I know any religious/spiritual people. So I don’t have anyone to talk to(at least anyone who would understand) and therefore I stumbled upon this forum. A lot has happened in a short period so I'm in a need of guidance. Would it be best to take a break, start AYP from the beginning or something else?

All help is appreciated. This all is so new to me, yet I’m very excited.

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  12:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi uniath, and welcome to the forum!

What an interesting start you've had with meditation

If the desire to meditate is there, then there's never a better time to start. I'd recommend reading the AYP lessons from the beginning. I started that way myself having never done any previous spiritual practices when I was at university around five years ago. Long story short it was the best decision I ever made

It sounds like you are already responding a lot to the practices you've done, so you may want to prepare yourself to take a measured approach and be ready to slow down if you feel any discomfort during the day or in your practices. There's a huge amount of help and guidance here for that sort of thing

The experiences you've described following your meditation (ringing in ears and energy sensations at the root, visual things happening) are all signs that there has been some arousal of kundalini in your body, in the AYP lessons it's referred to as the rise ecstatic conductivity. If this terminology is all new to you I'd suggest you do a little bit of reading about the subject, an introduction can be found here for kundalini http://www.aypsite.org/54.html and here for ecstatic conductivity: http://www.aypsite.org/169.html. It's important that this process happens slowly enough for the body to handle, hence the emphasis here on taking responsibility and cutting practices down as and when is appropriate.

Good luck and keep us posted

Edited by - Wafu on Jul 15 2014 12:39:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  2:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second that. AYP is a terrific system to cement spiritual progress and follow a road map. The forum can help you with any issues that may arise and give you a platform to share your journey. Slow and steady (self-pacing) is the key to prepare your body, mind, and spirit for the changes to come, uniath. I am nearing my first anniversary with AYP and experiencing wonder on a daily basis. Welcome!
Go to Top of Page

kriyaboy

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like you have had quite an awakening, uniath, and that is wonderful.

The ringing sound that you are hearing is referred to as nada in yoga. You may want to read more about it since it has captivated you so strongly. I would take it as a confirmation that you are on the right path.

I have tried using the binaural beats a few times and am personally not a fan of using that technique. It strikes me a bit like using drugs. It provides a strong, perhaps too strong external influence. I definitely second the others comments to begin instead with meditation.

But the key point I would make is that as exciting as some of these experiences may be, the measure of progress is always how well you are able to integrate them into your life. From your description, it sounds like it has been somewhat aimless in recent years. Let this new awakening be an inspiration to find general purpose in your everyday life.

Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2014 :  11:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i recommend looking into other spinal breathing methods as well (ennio's online book, jc stevens book, ayp, KYI kriya). but fundamentally its all spinal breathing(not so nuch KYI). this is a very important practise. also dont forgetabout meditating. dm works for some people for sure, the experinces and how it affects their daily life's is proof to that. but to others such as myself it was more me sitting i na spaced out feeling kinda half way asleep for half a year. concentration, melting in omkar, and mental kriya is what works for me. Omkar is wwhat many refer to the tones as. focusing on omkar shifts identity to spirit
Go to Top of Page

uniath

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2014 :  11:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your responses!

I actually began AYP a few days before my first message, so it’s been 1,5 weeks now. I’ve read lessons 10-110 and glanced through the rest of them. I’m doing my best to take things slowly, currently doing 10min pranayama and 20min deep meditation twice a day.

From my short experience, these sounds are a good indicator to the deepness of meditation. The deeper I am, the more intensive it gets. Fluttering eyelids and racing heartbeat are too, but it seems that my nervous system is slowly getting used to this and therefore those physical symptoms are lessening. Or something

A few things that’s been happening since my previous post:

Progress with DM has been quite significant, inner silence has been increasing during meditation and I feel like I’m close to getting to that blissful stage mentioned in the first post. Still getting used to pranayama, I’ve felt some kundalini movement but it’s been very subtle.

Visual stuff when I close my eyes, especially in the morning when I’m still sleepy and lying in bed. Objects, symbols and faces in varying colors. Some are extremely detailed. This is new to me since I used to see nothing and if I visualize something, I don’t actually see it. Not this way, I just have the “thought” of it.

I’ve noticed that meditation comes to me quite naturally. When 20min is up I would just like to continue and during 5min rest I tend to get deeper in meditation... don’t know if this is good and serves the purpose of “resting”.

I tried meditating on the sounds, but it seems to cause some sensations at the crown. So I decided to leave it for now and stick with mantra, seems safer. I actually read about this thing called “higher balance method” and that everyone can hear those sounds if one just pays attention. Seriously, there is too much information available nowadays, getting an information overload here. Google it if interested, I would like to hear your thoughts about it.

Ohh, a funny thing. I just read about kechari mudra. Apparently I have been doing it since I was a child. I can reach stage 3 with no effort. Maybe even stage 4, I have a freakishly long tongue. I’ll leave it for now, not going to do it during meditation for a looong time. I tried yoni mudra for a few seconds and it already felt too powerful ;) Self-pacing…

Just a one question. I see a lot of similarities between samyama and manifestations/affirmations that, as far as I know, even have some scientific backup. It’s all about affecting the subconscious mind, right? And when it’s done with enough inner silence, there’s no ego on the way. The difference seems to be, that with samyama you don’t have a specific goal in mind. Anyways, can one use samyama to get rid of bad habits like procrastination, lack of discipline etc? To be honest, that’s why I began meditating in the first place… even though a lot has happened, I’m still unhappy and stuck. But I see a brighter future!

Overall: Feeling pretty good, not going to rush things, trying to cut on doing too much research about stuff and focusing on daily life instead. Well, my finger slipped and I ordered Autobiography of a Yogi but after I have read that..
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2014 :  06:21:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello uniath

It's great you've made a start on the AYP lessons/practices!

quote:
Originally posted by uniath
currently doing 10min pranayama and 20min deep meditation twice a day.

Be careful, you have taken two very powerful techniques in one go. If you had not done mantra meditation before taking up AYP, it would be prudent to let it bed in for a few months before taking up spinal breathing pranayama. If you had quick results with other types of meditation, that could indicate you may be more sensitive than other people, which means a little practice goes a long way.

quote:
Originally posted by uniath

Can one use samyama to get rid of bad habits like procrastination, lack of discipline etc?

Meditation will develop your inner silence/witness. When you have enough of that, intentions will seem to translate straight into actions - naturally and effortlessly - you just think the intention and the mind and body will follow. Meditate regularly for a few months and procrastination /lack of discipline should become less of an issue. You might notice it happening after a few weeks.

Good luck and proceed safely! Slow and steady does it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000