Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 what is yoga at the first place?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nitant

India
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  07:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Everyone talks about different forms of yoga like kriya, bhikti, karma, jnana, mantra, hattha and so on. I wonder to know the actual meaning of yoga... Why are these practices called yoga?

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 08 2014 08:37:20 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nitant,
there is a lesson that deals with the question of what is yoga: Lesson 11.
Also, lesson 430 might be useful to read.

All the best.
Go to Top of Page

Nitant

India
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  01:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The lesson explain only the literal meaning of yoga... Why are there so many forms of yoga?
How each form is different from other? Which form of yoga is the best? All that is not mentioned anywhere in either of the lessons.

Please help me understand topic... thanks
Go to Top of Page

Nitant

India
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  01:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also - I want to understand the purpose of a religion... Why is a religion required by any civilisation?
Is there any connection between yoga and religion or they are simply two independent streams.. I can appreciate AYP more if true purpose of the yoga is understood well.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  02:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
there are many yoga schools because there are many tastes,the seeker will follow the yoga that appeals to him and have tangeable results on his nervous system and personal experience
noting that in the end all aspects of yoga are interconnected .For example if a seeker start with hatha yoga , later he will be attracted to karma yoga , jnana yoga...
Bhakti (longing ) is the cornerstone , it will lead you through the journey
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2014 :  10:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nitant

Also - I want to understand the purpose of a religion... Why is a religion required by any civilisation?
Is there any connection between yoga and religion or they are simply two independent streams.. I can appreciate AYP more if true purpose of the yoga is understood well.

Its a very good question and depends greatly on your personal definition of religion.

Its up to the individual to decide if there are links between Yoga and religion. Everyone is different and will combine or segregate according to how they are guided.

AYP in its simplest form requires no religion-although it could be argued that practices are a ritual of sorts in which the outcome can never be known or confirmed which indicates a type of faith.

With time and practice you will answer these questions for yourself. You will discover the source by unifying with it. There will not be a you and an it and awareness of a separate self will cease at that point. What this unity signifies is often called God, though man can only have a concept of a creator and in unity no description will exist. It is like drop of water rejoining a limitless sea. This works its way through to everyday living and begins to expand the boundaries of the self image and so all though and all action are indelibly altered in very different ways for everyone. This is the unfolding.

So regardless of subscribing to Christian, Jewish, Hindu or any other religious sect this will transcend all of them whilst combining with the best elements of all of them. This becomes the foundation for true knowledge beyond mere memory or supposition. I find wisdom hides in them all but you have to clear your ears and eyes to appreciate it and ignore what others tell you it means.

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  06:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well said Karl.
quote:
Originally posted by Nitant
I wonder to know the actual meaning of yoga... Why are these practices called yoga?
It took me years of practice before I understood the meaning and purpose of yoga. Even now it seems that the meaning continues to change slowly, as I progress with my practice.
I agree with Karl, only personal experience will really answer your question. At words level, Lesson 11 is the best explanation anyone can give you.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Aug 08 2015 09:51:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  11:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well said, Blue
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  5:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
when the sun eclipses the moon
when the earth accepts the raindrop from the cloud
when we desire only love

all paths lead to me
and as each approaches me do i accept them.krishna to arjuna

Go to Top of Page

RotonSan

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  1:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same question in mind. Here I got some answers...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000