Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 DM producing more overload than SBP+DM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

galen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2014 :  3:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all.

I overloaded a few weeks ago when I tried using the first mantra enhancement. It produced a terrific headache for about four days, with a mild headache that hasn't ever really gone away. I've been trying to get back to a stable routine ever since, but have had a lot of trouble doing so. Part of the trouble is that self-pacing advice usually takes the form of "cut back to just DM" and it seems that when I try DM alone even for 5 minutes produces bad side effects. The headache gets worse and I get a lot of tension in my jaw, shoulders, and neck. Sometimes it feels like my brain is dried out.

It seems that adding SBP to an overloading DM routine helps to balance things -- although I haven't yet found a routine that feels stable, DM alone is definitely not stable. I find this a bit confusing, since from what I understand SBP brings more energy up, which should exacerbate overload, not calm it. Perhaps this is where theoretical "understanding" of yoga falls short and direct experience is what matters.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be very glad to hear them.

Thank you!

galen

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2014 :  7:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Add some Solar Centering (link in left side menu) to direct energy from pooling in your head.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  03:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, not sure where you got that you need to stop with spinal breathing:
quote:
Another thing you can try is some light spinal breathing before meditation (5 minutes or so), as given in the lessons. This can help smooth out meditation. Spinal breathing is very good for balancing unruly energies in the nervous system, which includes mind and emotions. Finally, you can also try some light asanas, bending and stretching, (5-10 minutes) before spinal breathing and meditation. Maybe only spinal breathing will help at this stage. Maybe only asanas. Maybe both. Maybe neither. You will only know by trying.
- from lesson 160

Also,
quote:
Spinal breathing offers the possibility of balancing all of these things more quickly and progressively. Kundalini symptoms (probably what these things are) usually are caused by shakti energy coming up into the nervous system without enough counter-balancing by shiva energy coming down. Spinal breathing can correct this, and then progress can go very fast with much less chance of uncomfortable kundalini symptoms. Maybe try 5 minutes of spinal breathing before meditation and see how it goes for a few days. If it doesn't help, or if it aggravates the symptoms, then back off. If it helps, then give it a few weeks of stable practice and then consider going to 10 minutes of spinal breathing.
- from lesson 200

I put in bold the part that I thought was most relevant to your post. As you can see there, it clearly states that the SBP is to balance the upward flow with the downward flow.

Good luck!

Edited by - Mykal K on Jun 27 2014 03:58:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Zanyan

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  1:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Galen,

I initially came to AYP with overload symptoms. After reading the forums and lessons and getting info like Mykal has quoted above, I decided to add SBPto my DM routine very early on in my AYP practices, and it did smooth out the overload symptoms without a doubt. One of the symptoms was intense pressure in the head, especially at the crown and ajna centers. As a caveat, prior to finding AYP I had had many years of experience with breath meditation under my belt, including the witness state and rising inner silence - I don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I'd put it out there just in case.

Love,
Laura

Edited by - Zanyan on Jun 27 2014 1:31:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

galen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2014 :  12:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mykal K

Hi, not sure where you got that you need to stop with spinal breathing:

Hmm, I think I got it from reading various people in the forum discussing how SBP can bring energy up to the head, where it can get stuck if there are blockages that don't allow it to descend again. But you're right -- there's nothing about that in the lessons that I can find.

I'll try solar centering and see if that helps things out.

And thanks for sharing your experience, Laura.

Love to all of you,

galen
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2014 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by galen

when I try DM alone even for 5 minutes produces bad side effects.

What happens if you do just mindfulness meditation i.e. with no mantra at all? Do you still get those side effects?
If it were me in this position I'd try asanas followed by SBP and mindfulness meditation.

Also when I feel I get into overload mode, fasting helps me (brown rice fast does it for me) - it seems to clear the 'jams in the pipes'. I'm aware this goes against Yogani's teaching – whereby fasting is yet another practice and can add to overload - so it might be just me reacting well to it in overload situations. Please take this idea as food for thought. If you have not experimented with fasting before, it is probably not the time to begin during this rough patch.

I hope you get this problem sorted out soon. Let us know how you get on

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 04 2014 10:44:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

galen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  11:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

quote:

when I try DM alone even for 5 minutes produces bad side effects.

What happens if you do just mindfulness meditation i.e. with no mantra at all? Do you still get those side effects?
If it were me in this position I'd try asanas followed by SBP and mindfulness meditation.

Yes, at this point even five minutes of SBP and five minutes of breath meditation gives me a headache. I'm going to just stick with my light asana routine twice a day for a couple weeks and then see if I can add SBP with breath meditation back in.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  1:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will suggest just try 5 minute of mindful meditation without the SBP. In my case just the mindful meditation helps as sometimes SBP does overload the system. I will suggest just do the mindful meditation without forcing the breath.

All the best

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

galen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  05:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by pkj

I will suggest just try 5 minute of mindful meditation without the SBP. In my case just the mindful meditation helps as sometimes SBP does overload the system. I will suggest just do the mindful meditation without forcing the breath.

Thanks -- I'll give that a try when I start adding practices back in.

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  07:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Yes, at this point even five minutes of SBP and five minutes of breath meditation gives me a headache.

By mindfulness meditation I meant no mantra and no breath either. Yogani does not describe it separately, but he says that when a strong sensation or emotion comes up in meditation, let your attention be with that sensation/emotion. You might well become aware of the headache when you turn your attention inward - after all the headache is in there somewhere (I used to cure headaches - when i had them - by facing them/'plunging' into them but that's probably not everyone's cup of tea). So yes, sticking with asanas is probably the easiest way to cross this difficult patch.
Good luck and let us know how how things progress.
Go to Top of Page

galen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  11:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

quote:
Yes, at this point even five minutes of SBP and five minutes of breath meditation gives me a headache.

By mindfulness meditation I meant no mantra and no breath either. Yogani does not describe it separately, but he says that when a strong sensation or emotion comes up in meditation, let your attention be with that sensation/emotion.

Yes, I think this is the meditation to start with when I resume my sitting practices.

quote:

You might well become aware of the headache when you turn your attention inward - after all the headache is in there somewhere (I used to cure headaches - when i had them - by facing them/'plunging' into them but that's probably not everyone's cup of tea).

The headaches typically don't arise during practice, but accumulate over the course of the day, often accompanied by an escalating and seemingly unrelaxable tension in my jaw.

quote:

Good luck and let us know how how things progress.

Thanks for your advice -- I certainly will!
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  10:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you do any asanas?
Go to Top of Page

galen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  06:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jonesboy

Do you do any asanas?

I do a short asana routine twice a day. At the moment that's all I'm doing. Here's the routine:

1. Head and shoulder rolls
2. Heart-centering warmup
3. Janushirshasana
4. Parivrtta Janushirshasana
5. Badhakonasana
6. Cat/cow
7. Camel (or sometimes sphinx if my lower back is feeling wonky)
8. Shoulder stand
9. Spinal twist
10. Shavasana
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2014 :  5:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Galen

I just posted another post regarding the overloading. This may help as well.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=14490

Good luck

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  10:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely try solar centering. I stopped practice for year due to intense pressure in my third eye area. Solar centering solved this problem for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000