Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Is there an "unenlightenment"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  7:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have a couple of questions that directly relate to each other, and I was wondering if anyone could offer some personal insight on either one of them.

Here’s the first question: How did form begin? By this, I mean, how or why did consciousness manifest into living physical form? We are all in essence pure consciousness, but how did we enter this dreamlike state of illusion of separation? How did we go from consciousness to unconsciousness with that first incarnation into form?

Here’s the second question: Once a human awakens to pure consciousness, is it possible for him or her to return to the dreamlike state of unconsciousness again? Is there an unenlightenment?

The first question doesn’t really matter as it pertains to the process of human awakening, but the second seems to be important—at least to my mind it does! If I wake up, could I end up going back to sleep?

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  8:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Mr. Meditator,

I have a Self Realization Fellowship and APY background.

Paramahansa Yogananda went into great detail about how Spirit via Divine fiat manifested as thought initially in the causal dimension, then light in the astral dimension and then poop in the physical dimension.

Some of Yogananda's disciples talk of many dimensions and planes between the main three.

Nirbikalpa Samadhi attained while leaving the body (Samadhi where our consciousness is present in every atom of creation constantly, no matter what our body's consciousness is doing...even dying) gets you to a astral heaven where Swami Sri Yukteswar and Yogananda continue to teach us (SRF tradition).

In theory the first manifestation of Spirit is Divine Mother, the feeling, the love in creation...before thought. I don't quit get that but sometimes I do. (Hopefully others here will give better Yoga details). The dumb ass logic of most men is so simply trumped by the honest emotions of loving women in the drama of life!

Autobiography of a Yogi is a good source for many answers to these type of questions. And Yogananda's other books.

I've gazed for decades into the eyes of some of Yogananda's direct disciples at SRF services and in a few personal consultations, but I find Yogani's practical advice and attitude more real and practical for me.

Edit: Wrote "Hindu" but meant "Yoga".

Edited by - BillinL.A. on Apr 12 2014 11:05:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  8:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So many, many times Yogananda quoted Jesus Christ saying:

He that shall overcome, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God: and he shall go no more out.

...and specified that Nirbikalpa Samadhi at death frees you from further incarnations...in the physical realm. Yogananda refered to this so many times in his writings as I remember.

A very concrete explanation Mr. Meditator about reincarnation from Yogananda.

Again, Yogani's no scenery practical effort towards enlightenment attitude has helped me more.

Edited punctuation.

Edited by - BillinL.A. on Apr 12 2014 11:10:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2014 :  11:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, BillinL.A. Thanks for sharing!

I'm a big fan of Yogananda, since reading his autobiography really inspired me to get into yoga. I didn't realize he had written so much about this subject. I'll be sure to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2014 :  03:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Mr.Meditator,

"The One became many for the sake of reunion through Love." Unfortunately I am unable to find the source for that statement but it is somewhere in the Upanishads. The idea that incarnation is at odds with consciousness is the insidious influence of gnostic dualism which pervades the religions of both east and west. This is the basic philosophy, "Spirit is good, matter is bad" to put it simply, or as BillinLA said, "poop in the physical dimension." It is prominent in Yogananda's teachings and my main disagreement with SRF (although SRF is a good kriya school nonetheless and helped me very much on my path).

The classical tantric schools like AYP and HOY, by contrast, celebrate the manifestation of Spirit in and through matter and in our physical incarnations, male and female. For Love! Form does not necessarily = unconsciousness. Obviously, based on the experience of many yogis, consciousness IS possible in form and is kind of the whole point of incarnation. Incarnation was not a mistake. God knew what He/She was doing.

In regard to your second question, who is waking? who is going back to sleep?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2014 :  11:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the above, and yes unenlightenment is possible for a couple reasons. It is not a one time permanent change. It is more of a path that gets better with time, but we always have free choice to get off the path.

This is the reason we got unenlightened to begin with.
The physical world gives the illusion of being real and we believed the illusion and became attached.

This is why you see great "enlightened" gurus making big mistakes sometimes. They always have free choice.
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2014 :  08:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to each of you for your input, Radharani and Etherfish.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000