AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Self Pacing: Troubleshooting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  6:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

Last Monday I decided to try twice daily practices because I'd been feeling pretty good for a while. I do 3-5 minutes spb, 10 minutes mantra, then maybe samyama for a couple minutes if I'm feeling solid.

I did it for three days, and Wednesday night overload started. I made a post last week about the crown really opening up that night.

Well, the symptoms seemed pretty regular at first: an inner vertigo or tumbling feeling, rushing prana in and outside the body, bubbling prana (all the prana very pronounced and more tangible than material objects), stormy emotions, etc.

Well, I seemed to be in the clear Thursday and Friday after no practices. But then Saturday (still no practices) things changed up. Started getting really weird and overwhelming emotions coming up. Strange feelings of apathy. Started to feel unimaginably fatigued.

Sunday, the emotions calmed down but the tiredness became more pronounced. Today I feel like I can barely function. I'm not accomplishing anything even though I've been active all day. Everything feels very dense.

Now, this set of symptoms seems really strange, and its been four days since I stopped practices. I'm not sure that its the twice daily for three days that did it.

I've also been taking some prescribed TCM herbs that have helped tremendously, but I've been taking those for two weeks and never felt an effect the first week.

I also noticed the full moon was yesterday and I'm not so sure that didn't pack a punch.

As of today, I'm feeling pretty wrecked. Everything is so dense and dead. I feel like I could probably go into practices and find samadhi pretty quickly, but I'm not feeling blissful here in the moment. I'm scared to start practicing again, this feels very dangerous.

I'm looking for some advice on what I might do, maybe someone sees something about this situation that I do not.

Should I continue to leave practices undone? I shouldn't stop the herbs because they are to be taken continually, but I also don't want to keep overloading myself if that is it. Also, if its the full moon its effects should lessen pretty quick. Feeling pretty confused about all this.

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  6:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to add, and maybe just plain forgot, I started taking a liver health supplement on Thursday.. With dandelion, milk thistle and some other things. I wonder if this could be the culprit?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  04:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello TNT
the full moon was on Saturday and its effects (symptoms like you described) start few days before and remain few days after
stop or reduces preactices for the time being....then in few days see what your inner intuition tells you to do
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  06:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

Hello TNT
the full moon was on Saturday and its effects (symptoms like you described) start few days before and remain few days after
stop or reduces preactices for the time being....then in few days see what your inner intuition tells you to do

Hi maheswari, as of last Wednesday, I have stopped practes as mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2014 :  9:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tonightsthenight,

what you describe happens here aswell when practices happen and then not happen for some days, things get denser. It is like being on a bicycle, you accelerate, then hold that speed and travel around. Then somehow lets say you have overdone the bicycling and you stop, the bycicle starts to slow down and you feel resistance, natural physics so to speak and it will not stop until the bike stops and you have to continue walking again. Or Relaxing :D

Just keep the momentum the way it can continue smoothly. I know it is not so easy with DM, it needs highest level skills. Asanas and physical activity can help to keep things smooth while cycling around ;)

It is all about the ratio of mantra to hatha,

peace friend and enjoy the ride! :)
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2014 :  11:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Holy thanks

I'm back on practices, but still not feeling myself. Basically I don't feel like anyone. Daily life is fine mostly, and self inquiry\mindfulness is fruitful. I wake up and have no idea who I am or who I thought I was, its all very weird.

Life either feels very dense or very ethereal. I feel uncomfortable but symptoms are not similar to overload. I feel too much prana out of the body. I think its severe overload, not sure when it will abate. Not so much due to practices but the TCM formula I mentioned above.

The weird thing is I can function fine in daily life. But when I sit or I'm alone the symptoms are extremely uncomfortable.. Emotions I cannot understand. Not human emotions.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2014 :  7:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TTN,

I hope you're feeling better today

I absolutely second Maheswari's advice. Give yourself a break if you feel inclined. For me, the inquiry challenge is to underachieve (a friend had to point that out to me for it to sink in). So yeah, take it easy.

And be happy

Tom
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2014 :  10:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TTN,

Can relate to some of this. For two weeks, I felt like the body was going to die. Nothing could explain it and nothing I've ever experienced. Even after stopping practices, it did not improve; nor with herbs, heavier diet or exercise (which isn't fun with intense fatigue). Every fiber ached and sagged, while the mind remained still and free and joyful - contradictions galore. I could not sleep for absolutely no reason - no anxieties or dreams or worries; just the body not resting. Don't feel energetic symptoms anymore either, so it was not like K raging through the body. Yogani advised a simple thing - balance. At the time I didn't know what he meant, since I had stopped all practices. He said subtly that it was not about practices. As it always happens, I "got" his wise words a day later - my life was overloaded. I had taken on too much - too much amidst big openings. Since going off on a year long retreat in the mountains is not an option, I have had to do other things - rest more, reduce needless activities (like being constantly connected via texting, social media etc), put more things at work and home on the back burner for a little while, not take on more things to do, and to simply allow the integration of the openings. It is starting to work. I feel a bit better (no doubt the moon cycle had its part to play). A bit more solitude and rest and it will pass. I've resumed practices with no difference noted in these effects.

Self pacing is not always about cutting back on practices and/or energy related. It is about pacing in all aspects of life to allow for the shifts within to catch up with daily life (or vice versa).

Perhaps balance is what is needed in your life too?

Much love.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2014 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Kami you are genius. Thanks!

I am feeling better and better after stopping the formula.

I did feel and look dead. I've taken on a lot in the recent past and been too ambitious in daily life.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2014 :  1:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not me, TTN. Please thank Yogani.

Glad you are feeling better.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  11:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy
what you describe happens here aswell when practices happen and then not happen

I think this is right. And it's something I only recently noticed, myself.

We are instructed to do twice-daily practices to keep the momentum of it all going at a more or less steady rate. If we drop to once-daily (or stop for several days), momentum slows, then quickens at the next practice. This cycle of quickening and slowing seems to be quite problematic. It creates exactly the symptoms described in this thread: the torpor, the weird "my-body's-depressed-but-I'm-not" effect. I'm pretty sure of this.

I understand how we get to this point. We experience some overdoing symptoms, and we scale back...and scale back...and finally we resort to one single practice session per day, or even skip days. That way we at least get one substantial practice session, which seems better than two very short sessions, because we want to experience the depth of a longer session. Also, we kind of want to get it all over with, and once-per-day makes it pretty easy.

But Yogani's right. Two short ones beats one longer one. It's absolutely right. I don't know why it took me so long to realize.

If you're not currently practicing 2x/day, try it (at half the timings), plus engage as much as possible in the world. See what that does!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jun 17 2014 4:23:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  10:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, I'm actually so sure about that last posting of mine. I think inconsistent practice (including 1x/day practice) is a factor, but not the root cause.

I'm not a huge fan of the Biology of Kundalini web site, which has lots of what strikes me as pseudo-science. But I think this one page does a remarkable job of describing the experience discussed in this thread. It appears the writer has little of practical value to say re: fixing it, aside from "engage, engage, engage". But just reading can be pretty illuminating. I'd highly recommend it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000