Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 How to go to India and not waste time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

no.thing

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  12:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm going to India and need help finding interesting and worthwhile things to do! I want to learn yoga beyond the basics. What does that mean? I want to dig down deep into the philosophy and practice of yoga and related systems like tantra and ayurveda. I don't want to do anything cult-like or watered-down. Help? AYP has been a big inspiration and fully contemporary teachings like AYP that are authentic yet with minimum mumbo-jumbo are what appeal to me...

I'll have about three months (March, April, and May) and am probably going to be in northern India for most of that time, but I can go anywhere. I've done the whole yoga ashram thing and it was great, but I think that looking for individual teachers who know their stuff is going to be more fruitful this time. So far, the below activities/events/people have made the short list of stuff I'm going to try to make it to.

Tantra lectures in Varanasi with Mark Dyczkowsi
http://markdkashi.com/

Vagyoga kundalini meditation course in Varanasi
http://www.vagyoga.co.in/

Dasa Maha Vidya camp in Coimbatore
http://srilalithambika.wordpress.com/

Saundarya Lahari retreat at Rikhia Peeth, Jharkhand
http://www.rikhiapeeth.net/p/events...-for_22.html

Plus, I do Iyengar yoga so I've got some events and retreats related to that planned, but I guess it's more the philosophical/meditation stuff I'm asking about here. Has anyone had any experience with the above, or does anybody have any suggestions for stuff I should do or people I should see? Basically, I'm really trying not to waste these three precious months of time!!

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  8:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi no.thing,

there is a man, named OWK, he learned vagyoga from a master there in Varanasi, practiced it for 1 year with extreme intensity and experienced a very strong kundalini awakening followed by a permanent awakening. Ah ok following your link, he learned exactly from that man! I think you should not miss him.

Can't comment on the other ones, but personally if I had the chance to go to India, I'd visit Jaggi Vasudevs concecrated places, especially the dhyana linga. Also the mercury linga of Gurunath in Pune would be a place that would attract me very much.

In Puri one could visit the Karar ashram and Yogeshwarananda.

Mhh there are so many coming from India. Arunachala and Raman Maharshi's places!! :)

Others might have good ideas aswell :)

Peace
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  11:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Shirdi to Sai Babas mahasamadhi. Energies are awesome.
Nashik to the Pandu Lena caves and at the bottom of the hill is the Hemisphere with a large Buddha statue in. The vibrations when silently chanting is amazing.
Regards,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

no.thing

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  3:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Holy and riptiz. I'm definitely going to try to make it to the Vagyoga course. Might try to make it Tamil Nadu too as it sounds like there are some worthwhile sites there.

Let me know if anybody has more suggestions for courses that must be taken, teachers that must be seen, etc.
Go to Top of Page

RamRam

Spain
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2014 :  3:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello No.thing!

You probably went back home from your trip? What have you found? I have now the query you had then. Looking for worthy places to study the path of power, so particularly interested in tantric yoga but also kundalini, and better if in an ashram setting, even better if the ashram is not in the heart of the madness of Varanasi, but more towards the countryside.

Please let us know of your finding and experiences!

Pranams,

Ramdas
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2014 :  9:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not OP,but if i may suggest two persons in India.

If you would be interested in Kriya Yoga(one coming from Yogiraj Shamachurun Lahiri Mahasaya),then you could get Kriyadiksha in Kolkata,from Sri Ashoke Kumar Chatterjee or in Kashi from Sri Shibendu Lahiri.
Both are as close as possible to teachings of Lahiri Baba.
Go to Top of Page

Blaskhyrk

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2014 :  08:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful to know and useful tips you are giving, there cannot be any wasted second in India. I Thank all of you.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2014 :  09:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Imhe i would recommend amritaputi while sri amma is there... And mount arunachal/sri ramanasram. Best not to go alone. I might make a trip this year... Be at the new years at amritapuri to have amma's darshan.. Then head off to sri ramanasram... Still not fully decided but considering it... I've missed mother india...
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2014 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read that people were happy with this buddhist monastery for retreats.
If you look into the web link and then in the section "Plan your retreat", click on daily schedule and see. It's really intense!
http://www.panditarama-lumbini.info/

04.00 Wake Up
04.30 - 05.00 Walking meditation
05.00 - 06.00 Sitting Meditation
06.00 - 07.00 Breakfast
07.00 - 08.00 Sitting Meditation
08.00 - 09.00 Walking Meditation
09.00 - 10.00 Sitting Meditation
10.00 - 11.00 Walking Meditation
11.00 - 12.00 Lunch
12.00 - 12.30 Rest
12.30 - 13.00 Walking Meditation
13.00 - 14.00 Sitting Meditation
14.00 - 15.00 Walking Meditation
15.00 - 16.30 Sitting Meditation
16.30 - 17.30 Walking Meditation
17.30 - 19.00 Dhamma Talk
19.00 - 20.00 Juice & Walking
20.00 - 21.00 Sitting Meditation
21.00 - 22.00 Walking Meditation

Interviews will be conducted
Sun. - Fri. 08.00 - 11.00
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2014 :  9:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my friendly suggestion:
Go and have a good time. Talk to people. Be willing to look stupid. Masters are not always in temples.
Go to Top of Page

Blaskhyrk

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  1:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is the true spirit! :)
Go to Top of Page

Purohit

India
43 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  11:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Ananda,

I have planned a trip to Ramana ashram in the last week of November. Any specific reasons why you have suggested for someone not to travel alone.

I have assumed you are speaking for people coming from outside the country.

Would also appreciate any guidance/suggestion about the ashram and arunachala hill as i believe you have been there earlier. It will be my first trip to Arunachala.Plan to travel to Ashram from chennai for a 3 day stay at Ramana ashram( have received stay confirmation).

Best Regards
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000