New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  02:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely worth a shot.
I am using my $1 Chinese ESD wrist straps and they seem to be working well. I could be imagining it, but I think I am getting a feel for when I am well grounded. I can't feel as it is happening, but hours later, I get this feeling of a little heavy, but simple and happy. It seems to quiet my mind. That may be a side effect of DM in conjunction with grounding, but I get this very quiet feeling that there is nothing worth thinking about; just relax. That's got to be healing in itself.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  1:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I received 2 days ago the ESD mat, let's see how it goes. I use it under my laptop, where I can be in touch with it for many hours at work
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  1:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I got some esd straps in the post also.

Ether, I tried a continuity test to make sure it was all connected but found there is no continuity between the strap and the crocodile clip at the other end of the wire. I have three straps and it's the same on them all. It doesn't seem right, any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  2:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say ask the seller for a new one if their explanation doesn't satisfy you
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  6:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

I got some esd straps in the post also.

Ether, I tried a continuity test to make sure it was all connected but found there is no continuity between the strap and the crocodile clip at the other end of the wire. I have three straps and it's the same on them all. It doesn't seem right, any ideas?

It's probably OK. You need a sensitive ohm meter, not a continuity tester, that can measure through the resistor.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  7:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ether and Will Power

As soon as I put it on my wrist earlier I could feel something. At first I thought - this is probably placebo. I took it of and put it on a few times and there was a difference.
Then I just felt like resting with it and lay down for an hour. There is definitely something going on. Looking forward to sleeping a night with it.
It will probably ware off as I get used to it, but for the moment it is having a very "grounding" effect A bit like hugging a tree.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  08:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Savasana should be grounding. ...no?
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  5:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thanks Ether and Will Power

As soon as I put it on my wrist earlier I could feel something. At first I thought - this is probably placebo. I took it of and put it on a few times and there was a difference.
Then I just felt like resting with it and lay down for an hour. There is definitely something going on. Looking forward to sleeping a night with it.
It will probably ware off as I get used to it, but for the moment it is having a very "grounding" effect A bit like hugging a tree.

I tried the wrist band that night and didn't get to sleep. Had energy through me from the wrist band for hours. Eventually I took it off and got to sleep.
I tested everything and it seems to be ok.
Tried a different plug socket last night and it was fine, no energy felt and had a good night sleep. I could definitely feel a charge from the other socket but the readings on a meter are exactly the same on the two sockets tried.
Beats me, any ideas?

maheswari, I think the idea is that even doing savasna you can still be insulated from physical contact with the earth and that is the purpose of the earth wire or strap.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  6:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are so many tiny things that can be wrong with the ground in your electrical system, unless it's a new house. I would suspect bad grounding on the first one. The ground could be connected to the neutral. Everything would seem to test normal, but a small electrical leakage would be present, and babies could get shocked. Normal test procedures won't show such things; you'd have to drive a new earthing rod outside to use as a reference, and a super sensitive meter, and then it would only happen when certain other things in the house are running.
That's why I would use the electrical system only as a last resort. Most electricians wouldn't even know what I'm taking about, or how to test for it. But then, if you are driving a new rod for the test, you could use that clean ground for grounding and ignore the electrical system!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  07:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Ether
It's amazing how versatile this forum is.
I think I can tap onto a copper pipe which is the rising main, that should do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  07:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that should be very good.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  11:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't watched the documentary. I read through the posts and looked up the wrist straps. I don't understand what the pincher clip at the end is to be attached to. I 'm in an apartment on the second floor.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  8:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The clip is attached to a wire that is grounded. It is best to run it out a window directly into the earth. If that is not possible, you can have an electrician hook it to something that he says is grounded, sometimes the third prong on your wall outlet, or just the plate screw, or sometimes a metal plumbing pipe.
Go to Top of Page

American Baba

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  10:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just came across a website on Earthing that looks worthy of sharing for anyone interested in the topic. It appears to be well-organized, offers lots of information and provides free copies of peer reviewed studies on the matter.

Here’s the link: http://earthinginstitute.net/
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  9:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Quick update having been "earthing" for more than a month now...

I have found that I can not handle having the patch directly on my new (metal) elbow. I don't know if it's because it is a metal joint but the patch on the elbow absolutely increases the amount of pain I feel (while wearing the patch) substantially. That said, putting the patch on the sole of my foot has resulted in nothing but good results. I need less sleep, have more energy, and feel clearer and more balanced in general. Very subjective results, but they do feel related to the earthing practice.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  9:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to resurrect this thread because I watched this entire film last night. (It's been posted again on YouTube for free).

I've always done barefoot grounding sporadically as a natural pleasure, but after watching the movie, I'm inspired to make it more habitual, like daily meditation. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping due to excess energy bursts, so last night before bedtime, I went outside barefoot, laid down on the grass, and also touched/hugged some trees. I ended up sleeping really well and felt refreshed in the morning.

In addition to receiving from the Earth, I think I also give off my excess energy to the Earth, which is fantastic.

Highly recommend this movie and the practice of grounding/earthing so that the skin may stay in everyday contact with the flesh of our planet.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  05:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would really appreciate to read some new report from this community about those grounding tools since the last report (it was Carson's on december 2013). Any user experience during 2014 and 2015?

I consider buying an earthing kit but I am not convinced so far, mostly concerning long terms effects of such a practice.

Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  1:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I stopped using the ESD mat under my laptop (which I connected to the earth connection of the plug on the wall) since it seemed that it wasn't working (in winter with the pullover I could feel static electricity and it didn't dissapear with the contact of the ESD mat).
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  8:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the discussions of basic recommended yoga practice here in the world of AYP, I have read that one should do 10 to 15 minutes of asana for grounding, then 5 minutes SBP, then 15 or 20 of DM. This Documentary thread has been speaking of electrical grounding of the human body to earth (through convenient and grounded pieces of metal). This measure is very familiar to any electrical engineer (like me), technician, or electrician. Even more so for me, since I worked in designing grounding and shielding to isolate sensitive equipment and systems from noise

So, is the use of the term "grounding" here, which refers to physically making an electrical connection between the human body and earth, the same as what is intended when we say that asana provides grounding that is beneficial before practicing SBP twice-daily? One usage is quite literal from my point of view, and the other seems figurative if not just plain obscure.

Is it the effect of electrical grounding that is desired? ESD grounding (with the 1 megohm strap) has the purpose of enabling random and small amounts of electric charge that the body may pick up to be conducted safety to Earth where they vanish effectively in the vast reserve of electrical charge that the Earth provides. The body can pick up charge from literally an uncountable number of natural and man-made environmental sources and occurrences. If they affect the nervous system (as an electrical engineer I cannot tell you anything about that) I could see them affecting sensitive yogis/yoginis. If this hypothetical effect is what we want as yogis, maybe that resolves the problem in my understanding.

But is AYP really saying that practicing asana in a random, non-natural environment grounds the body to the Earth?

BTW, we engineers are not taught about this stuff at University. Technical grounding, yes. Yoga grounding, no.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  2:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kensbikes:

"Grounding" really has two definitions in this discussion:

1. Of the "electrical" kind, which is what the subject documentary is about, and professes to be. This is not an AYP assertion, just interesting information being shared.

2. Of the yogic energetic kind, which is about calming the inner spiritual (kundalini) energies and related symptoms, particularly when there is excessive flow.

The second can be aided by the first, but also includes measures that are not necessarily "electrical grounding," such as asanas (which are sometimes grounding and sometimes not), spinal breathing pranayama (ditto), exercise, social activity/service, temporary heavier diet, Ayurveda measures, and other things discussed in Lesson 69 and elsewhere in the lessons.

In AYP, we are most concerned with methods for grounding/calming the spiritual energies, which may or may not have an identifiable electrical component.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2015 :  08:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

I would really appreciate to read some new report from this community about those grounding tools since the last report (it was Carson's on december 2013). Any user experience during 2014 and 2015?

I consider buying an earthing kit but I am not convinced so far, mostly concerning long terms effects of such a practice.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Ecdyonurus,

I only have a second to respond but the most recent update I've given regarding Earthing was on episode 12 of Trip1 and my podcast here: http://seekanddestroypodcast.com/?page_id=2

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2015 :  09:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson, thanks for that second.

By the way: Actually, I already downloaded all of your podcasts including the one you linked. Used to listen to them on my iPhone, but the app now censored them... no idea how they manage to check podcasts with explicit "lyrics"...
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2015 :  8:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

Hi Carson, thanks for that second.

By the way: Actually, I already downloaded all of your podcasts including the one you linked. Used to listen to them on my iPhone, but the app now censored them... no idea how they manage to check podcasts with explicit "lyrics"...

Wow! Strange... I had no idea that was possible. Itunes probably doesn't "check" the podcasts though, we are labeled as Explicit Lyrics (accurately) by ourselves as I believe if you don't, and they *do* find out, your content is pulled.

Regarding earthing patches.... long story short, they work. Longer version is that there are a lot of variables involved that are going to determine how effective they are at treating any specific issue. Where the patch is placed (ie. sole of the foot, middle of the forehead etc) has a large impact on the results you will feel. The largest variable though is probably the human system. Everyone's "matrix of obstructions," to borrow the AYP verbiage, is different and it is probably the largest factor as to how the earthing patches will be experienced. I used them on and off for a couple of years and they were helping until they weren't anymore. Then I stopped using them. I would say that if energy grounding is a problem for you (ie, headaches, mania, emotional instability, electronic interference, sleep issues, dramatic energy fluctuations etc) then the patches will likely help somewhat. My only suggestion would be to remain diligent in staying aware of the effects and stopping when the patches begin to aggravate more than assist (which is what happened to me).

Hope this helps.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  04:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson, thank you for your reply - very helpful!
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  08:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thanks Ether
I see there is another video further down the page which I'm half way through, its one and a half hours long and then there is the written stuff.
Very interesting, having a grounded room sounds great, do you know how to go about making one.
When I think about the comfortable materials, like wood, carpet, mattresses etc., they are all insulators. Do you know of any easy ways to ground a floor that won't be too cold in winter or a mattress?
I'm thinking of meditating on a sheet of tinfoil connected to a wire going to earth to see if it feels different.

On the question of grounded plumbing, I think it is a regulation in the UK and Ireland and maybe Europe that all taps and fittings where there is water have to be earthed. The mains voltage here is 230volts whereas in USA it is 110V, as far as I know and therefore less need for earthing.

In the USA it is also required to properly ground the plumbing. The 120 volt standard is quite dangerous, even though it is about half the voltage of the EU systems.

The threshold of safety is taken as 48 volts, at least for DC systems. But overall it's best not to connect your body to the "+" side of any power system.
The good thing about making your own ground connection is that you can know it is done correctly. No questions like, "are the pipes actually in connection and free of improper connections to the power supply? Is the ground wire (third or green wire) actually connected to ground?" If you connect it yourself then you know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000