Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Sadhana causing Acid Reflux
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  12:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Friends,

Please help me....! Whenever i do kriya pranayams or chant some strong mantras....i have to face the problem of acid reflux and so much heat is generated in the stomach. And when i stop my practices i get fine. I have changed my diet, lifestyle, and all the remedies bring little, no or temporary relief. I want to do more spiritual practices but can't even do my regular 30 - 40 mins routine without suffering with reflux after that. Trying to practice Khechari also aggreviates my problem.....Kindly advice what i should do.....! Thankyou so much...!

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  1:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anjali,

What is your sadhana routine? Can you please elaborate?

Thanks,
kami
Go to Top of Page

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  2:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,

Nowadays i have started the sadhna of Lord Shiva so I chant his mantra "Hroum". This creates so much good feeling inside and brings calmness but the side effect is what i mentioned above. Few months before this i used to do anulom vilom pranayam and kriya pranayams as given by Lahiri Mahasaya ji, which also created the same problem. but then i stopped kriya pranayams which gave me relief. But now its coming up on chanting this mantra.....
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  9:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anjali,
Thanks for sharing. I am not familiar with those specific practices. However, any time our sadhana causes discomfort, it is wise to cut back on it, perhaps in just the amount of time that you are doing this. When the symptoms subside, you can try increasing it again. Please read up the lesson on self-pacing on the left.

Also, if you haven't tried it, you may want to look into Manuka honey (available online). It is a honey specific to New Zealand and comes from tea tree blossoms. There is a quality standard to it, called UMF - at least 18 is preferable. This specific honey is very effective for acid reflux - just a couple of teaspoons twice daily. Many studies on its effectiveness (also for wound healing, etc)..

Hope this helps.

Love,
kami

Edited by - kami on Sep 06 2012 9:24:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  9:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kami for your reply.....! Kriya Pranayam is very similar to the spinal breathing given in AYP lessons. Yes, i always stop the sadhana when i have this trouble, but when i resume, it again comes back. May be my body is not capable enough....!

Thanks for letting me know about the Manuka honey remedy. I will definitely try this.

Thanks a lot for your help...!

In Divine Love
anjali
Go to Top of Page

machi

Belgium
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  04:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit machi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Acid reflux and heat in the stomach... This reminds me of the physical experiences following my manipura awakening. My body generated (and still does generate) considerable heat in the solar plexus region. This is sometimes accompanied with the feeling of acid reflux. In my case, however, this can happen at any time, that is to say, it is not limited to my sittings only. I suggest you review some of the typical kundalini symptoms to check whether your issues might be kundalini-induced. I would consider this since you state that changing foods, lifestyle and taking medicines don't alleviate the problem and there may be a connection between the reflux and your practice.
Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  06:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anjali

Thanks Kami for your reply.....! Kriya Pranayam is very similar to the spinal breathing given in AYP lessons. Yes, i always stop the sadhana when i have this trouble, but when i resume, it again comes back. May be my body is not capable enough....!

Anjali,
When you do go back to your practices, do you start with the full routine of 30-40 min of kriya?
If you don't take anything from AYP, I would suggest take the concept of self pacing with you into kriya. When you start back, start slowly and build up your practice over a few days / weeks till you find a time that is comfortable. It does not have to be a all or nothing you know? Rather than going full force for a day or two and having to stop a few days, do a little bit every day... That is always more effective than sporadic practices.

Wish you all the best!
Go to Top of Page

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  09:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Machi and Shanti for replying and your good wishes....!

Yes Machi, I think my symptoms are Kundalini induced.....but if this is the case then would it remain like this whole life...as u mentioned that your body still generates lot of heat in solar plexus region. And once Kundalini is awakened, is there no need to do the practices...?

Shanti, I used to practice just 12 to 14 kriyas first and meditated afterwards....It was going fine first but after few months i increased the number to double and then the problem started, then i came back to 12 kriyas, but there was no relief. Now if i do only one or two kriyas, I am in trouble so it makes me sad that i can't even do that much... knowing the importance and value of kriyas, i feel that time is flying and am not capable enough to utilize it.

In Divine Love
anjali
Go to Top of Page

machi

Belgium
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  10:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit machi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my case, kundalini has taken its seat in manipura. I'm continuing my practise with special emphasis on both manipura and anahata. I don't know how long my solar plexus will be on fire, but I don't see it as a discomfort, on the contrary. It feels as a special grace that constantly reminds me of my work. The same for the acid reflux. It's there often but it is never troublesome. It comes, it stays, it goes, it leaves. I see it as a special grace. For how long it will be there, I don't know... I'm only at manipura
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  12:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you are overloading (acid reflux being one of the symptoms for you) it means your system is trying to tell you you have a lot of whatever you are trying to cultivate (energy/stillness), so cutting back on time and just doing 1 kriya or none at all, just mediate for a few min.
Don't feel disappointed... reducing and/or not doing practices for a while does not mean you are going backwards, it just means you have more than you can handle, so just doing a basic minimum (which may just be resting during the practice time) will be enough for now. Self pacing is a part of the practice... your body/mind needs to integrate what it has and then you continue.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  1:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: BTW the nectar cycle (soma) http://www.aypsite.org/304.html can cause acid refux and other digestive discomforts...
It means good things are happening... but too much of a good thing can be bad... so again, self pacing is the way to go.....
Go to Top of Page

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  3:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks once again Machi and Shanti...!

Shanti, You are right......I have to go for self pacing only...!

Actually i was also thinking what you are saying.....that may be my system can't take more....its enough for me now to handle...but was not sure....so you confirmed it and am satisfied now. Thankyou for making me understand....!

Machi you are really great that you take all troubles as special grace from God. I am inspired by you...that we should accept whatever God gives us....may be the sufferings or troubles come our way as a stepping stone to higher understanding or we have to get some lesson from it.

Thanks to both of you from bottom of my heart for guiding and helping me...!
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  3:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anjali,

Also meant to add this - spiritual practices, in general, increase certain doshas (Ayurvedic terms), particularly if we don't pay enough attention to diet and exercise. Excessive pranayama can lead to "heat" as mentioned by Machi, which is excess of Pitta/Vata. This happened to me recently, when I began having terrible headaches, broke out in a rash and had digestive problems. Like you, I cut back on certain practices that I suspected caused this, increased aerobic exercise, became more conscious of consuming pitta-pacifying foods, and took some herbs (Shatavari, Haritaki and Turmeric were recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor) and the symptoms abated in two weeks. In hindsight, those were Kundalini related symptoms.

Also know that we become "sensitive" to the practices we may have been doing without problems for months/years. For example, I can no longer practice spinal bastrika, despite having practiced this without any problems for many years. If I really want to do it, I have to be super conscious about exercising daily and eating differently or else I get into some pesky issues like mentioned. After arguing against this for so long, I've come to agree with Yogani and all the wise ones here - less is indeed more

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  6:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Kami,

Its really helpful to know that this is pitta related dosha in Ayurvedic terms. I don't exercise much so now i have to pay attention to Pita pacifying diet and start some exercies. You are right that we become "senstive" to the practices and you need altogether different diet and lifestyle to match with that and sometimes its hard to get into that so i also agree that less is indeed more....!

Thankyou so much for this info....I will try to adapt pitta pacifying diet and do some exercises.....!

Best Wishes
anjali
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  10:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anjali,

Please try and get some palm jaggery and use it in your food. Apart from regular intake of acidophilus (yogurt) related stuff. If you are able to do amaroli that will be the best.

if you make a porridge with palm jaggery and have it for a week, you should definitely see a difference. No drinking or smoking during this time though. Let me know if you are willing to try and what happened.
Go to Top of Page

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  09:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sivasambho,

I will try your advice of having jaggery in food or porridge.......though jaggery creates heat in my body but i will try.

For Amaroli, its little difficult but i will try.....!
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  10:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anjali

Thanks Sivasambho,

I will try your advice of having jaggery in food or porridge.......though jaggery creates heat in my body but i will try.

For Amaroli, its little difficult but i will try.....!

Hi Anjali,

Palm jaggery should not create heat. There is regular jaggery which will certainly do that. Please ask for "palm jaggery"... It is really cooling and helps ultimately your nervous system to relax a bit.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  12:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anjali,

I can tell you from personal experience that Amaroli (starting with just a few drops under the tongue, and gradually increasing till any allergic symptoms start, and then reducing to stay below this threshold), Nauli, and drinking plenty of water (at least two liters daily)is a sure-shot remedy. The other beneficial effects of this has been incalculable.And practices on an empty stomach !

Krish
Go to Top of Page

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  1:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Krish,

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I will try them......!

Thankyou!
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2014 :  8:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anjali

Now i am having similar symptoms and are caused by the Kundilini as my body is generating lot of heat. Also there is Soma and Amrita as well. As Shanti said it very well too much of good thing is not good either. Could you pls tell me what really helped in this case as i am having excess acid reflex as well. I am trying to cut down on practices as well.

Thanks a lot

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

anjali

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  2:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pkj,

Please pay attention on your diet. Cut down spicy, fried, processed and stale food. Drink more water.

Self pacing and cutting down in your practices helps a lot.

Try taking more time in exhaling.

Nowadays am practicing bhramari pranayam which helps.

Try visualizing shower of cool water coming down from top and giving cooling effect to your whole body inside and outside.

please let me know if this helps.....!

Best Wishes
anjali
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  09:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anjali

Thanks a lot for the help. I have tried Amraloli little bit and it helps great. Only thing want to make sure does not over do it.
Also i am trying Pitta pacifying diet as well.

Thanks

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

rahul2630

India
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  08:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When correctly done, your chest will expand when you breathe in and deflate when you breathe out. Continue doing and see changes
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2014 :  5:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
probarbly a hiatus hernia
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  11:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of "meaty" advice in this thread; Anjali you are a lucky soul!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000