Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Yoga, Buddhism and Shamanism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  08:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone...

I was wondering if anyone had a perspective on Shamanic beliefs (e.g. Incan Shamans and the 9 rites of munay ki) and how they relate to buddhist practices and yogic enlightenment.

It would seem to me that they are two distinct paths to the same end, but I'm not sure. Also, I don't know anyone that has undergone the 9 rites, so its impossible for me to know how that process might impact your life.

Does anyone have a more expert knowledge or opinion on such things? Thanks!!

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  05:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bourgo,

This topic of attempting to link Shamanism with Yoga, Buddhism in particular Tantra has intrigued me for more than 10 years, still does in fact plus I was lucky to travel in many places to make comparison studies as well as some practices.

As for the Inca or Quechua rites, I was introduced a bit to these back in 2008 while staying in Argentina. Basically there are two types wether you live in mountain (mainly rocks) or plain (mainly plants), respectively called Alta Mesayok and Pampa Mesayok. So depending the type of external elements you have access then the rites will change from a practical point of view, myself just got a quick introduction and practice of Alta Mesayok, in particular with healing stones. However I must warn you that most of the left Inka or Quechua knowledge is lost, it is very hard to have access to complete teachings, the elders died or forgot, i'm afraid there is nothing one can do at least in argentina unless Peru. They do split in simple way the upper world, middle world (this plane of existence) and lower world then you have some coding through the Chakana cross mandala.

From what I've seen, to answer your quest could be more safe and efficient if you go after BonPo esoteric which has been now accepted in Tibet but mostly found in Nepal where the key point is that BonPo is based from ancient pre-buddha in central Asia, probably Tadjisktan with tracking up to 18,000 years. It started with pure shamanism then embraced tantra and finally dzogchen.

My point of meeting many shamans, this path is a friend and a foe because based on external practice where ego will grow via dual addiction to external ritual objects or allies. That is why many shamans enter into health issue, alcoholism, dark magic whereas say a tantrik-shaman solves that issue since he goes into internal practice (tantra) discovering he already has inside the allies, the objects with no ego separation. Now what is difficult, at least on my experience is to find tantrik-shaman able to go after non-dual or secret practice (dzogchen or advaita).

If you stick to buddhism tantra, then probably only the Nyingma do host practically the shamanism inside the tantra and dzogchen whereas the other tibetan school rejects shamanism. Maybe the best place to investigate more freely would be Nepal and eventually Buthan. As for hindu yogas, most strongly reject and classify shaman as dark magic with little tolerance.

The key question I feel is to conclude if shamanism is a special form of yoga, in my opinion yes but I could be wrong. For sure, only doing shaman will bring misfortune by not resolving deeper karmic blockages only manageable by tantra and beyond.

By the way, I was also bit exposed to voodoo shamanism, in fact very interesting rituals but again, one needs to pay special attention to only vodoo white practice and not dark practice (satanic, sorcery)

Even the kundalini is a serious trap, some think it is the ultimate whereas it is not because there are higher awareness so in a way, kundalini and shaman are not self-defined at all.
Go to Top of Page

maverick angel

France
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  07:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit maverick angel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bourgo, shamanism isn't really about enlightenment or a 'chosen' path. Typically, the spirits choose the person and put them through a whole bunch of phenomena like shamanic sickness in order to make them a shaman. The shaman must interact with the spirits in the various shaman worlds and in a sense embrace all the phenomena that the yogi is taught to ignore. Munay Ki rites are a new version for westerners coming from Quero tradition and I've heard very positive things about them, in a sense they are energetic transmisions like shaktipat. The Quero aren't really shamans, they don't use altered states or see spirits, they are more like mystics, closer to yogis and lamas than to shamans. I had a kundalini awakening combined with a shamanic awakening. I wrote a book about it, it's called 'A Shamanic Kundalini Awakening', you can find it on Amazon:)
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  02:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maverick angel
The shaman must interact with the spirits in the various shaman worlds and in a sense embrace all the phenomena that the yogi is taught to ignore.

I wonder if shamanism is not a very particular yogic path where it is the most direct ego-free initiation or awakening. There is no personal effort or initiation via human interface, it is from other worlds hence less-fueled senses or 5 five senses-free effect. However what i've noticed, many shamans get stuck with deeper layers effect which prevents self-realization so the initial trigger is stronger juice but brings stronger effects one needs to dissolve. One thing I Iike with shamanic yogas, it brings in no time lot stuff most yogis do not want to resolve or claim to be dark whereas these are just hidden deep layers which need to go through, the reason being it ends to directly descend the kundalini (dark light) as opposed to classic yoga first ascending the kundalini (white light). What is hard with shamanism, you are always alone with no physical teacher or guru but at the end, wether yoga or other path, it is all about re-connecting internally or as said many times "the guru is in you" at the end.
Go to Top of Page

maverick angel

France
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  05:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit maverick angel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
With me, I had a dream about an anaconda fighting a jaguar. The next day I had a full kundalini awakening to the crown chakra. This was a classic textbook awakening with no problems and remained permanent. After this though I went through a huge amount of phenomena that other K people didn't seem to have. I had a life changing open eyed vision, the 'dark stuff' was brought up as Spirit entered me inducing shamanic illness and Kali came inducing a massive purge, a power animal jumped into me, spirits came and showed me how to make drums it went on and on and still does. It took a few years to realise what was happening was shamanic, other people pointed this out to me but I denied it. I have to say that very few shamans I've met are K awakened. You can be K awakened without being a shaman and a shaman without being K awakened. There are two paths in shamanism, the path of medicine and the path of consciousness. You can practice the path of consciousness without the medicine but if you practice the medicine path without the path of consciousness this is where problems may arise and the shaman loses their way. I have to say though that there is a great beauty in the way that the shamanic spirits express divine truths through nature. In Peru they have a trinity, the serpent, the feline and the condor. This is actually an elegantly simple depiction of the chakra system and kundalini. The serpent is kundalini, the jaguar is you in the world and the condor is higher consciousness. In my dream, the jaguar was ego me fighting the kundalini anaconda that was beginning to rise:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000