Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Multitasking Practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  3:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering about the Tibetan thang where they do simultaneous practices like doing different mantras at the same time (mentally) and while doing various different visualization practices all while doing prostrations or writing letters, and normal life etc.

At one point I was striving to do a multitasking silent mantra practice 24/7 just during normal daily life with mixed results. On the negative side, it took too much effort and sort of bogged me down. On the positive side, it did inject a certain nice vibe to life. After about a year, I shelved it.

Perhaps, as one develops their mentation then this sort of practice becomes much more effortless and natural.

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 07 2007 09:55:57 AM

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  3:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yoda,

I don't think I could ever manage multiple mantras at the same time.

But in a similar vein, I've often wanted to try some kind of 'walking meditation' for when I am out walking, or doing a mindless task where I can separate my thoughts from the task. I was afraid to use my AYP mantra for that though---wanted to reserve it specifically for my twice daily meditations.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  4:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woooh.. I can barely get the hang of doing one thing right.. multitasking.. hummm... nope could not do it with meditation..
Kathy, before AYP I would repeat my guru mantra all day... The problem with repeating a mantra all the time and not just during meditation is..(as Yogani points out in his Deep Meditation book).. it becomes a "mantra habit"... and the thoughts think it if fine to be there along with the mantra during meditation... It took me the longest to get over this habit.. Unlearing somthing that was a part of me for a long time was not easy... So if you have not started it.. maybe you would want to stay away from it.

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 30 2006 9:09:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  5:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're right Shanti. That's exactly what I was thinking too, so I never used that for a walking meditation. Don't really want to use the sutras either...

But I like the idea of a mantra for walking and mind-less activities. Seems like it would bring more peace and quiet..calming to the mind.

Light and Love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  7:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,

Excellent point.

Thanks,
Yoda
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  7:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Yogani recommends saving the mantra exclusively for meditation time.

it's best to just try to be as aware as possible of all your senses when doing "mind-less activities". They shouldn't be mindless.

If you want something to think about all day that really makes a difference, try talking to God all day as if he/she were with you doing your activities!
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  04:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you put all your attention on the activity you are engaged in it ceases to be mindless and becomes a form of meditation.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  10:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard said:
If you put all your attention on the activity you are engaged in it ceases to be mindless and becomes a form of meditation
and Ether said:
it's best to just try to be as aware as possible of all your senses when doing "mind-less activities". They shouldn't be mindless.

This brings to mind the old monk on that TV series "Kung Fu" with David Carridine. The monk spent his days making a seemingly worthless piece of sculpture out of tiny mosaic pieces. It always seemed to amaze Grasshopper that this monk seemed so happy and joyful doing what seemed to be such a mundane and useless task.
Therein lay the lesson.
By being in the here and now with anything, it is transformed into something joyful, just by virtue of the fact that we are fully aware in the moment.
Deep meditation and developing the witness makes this easy, maybe it just takes a mental adjustment to make it so.

A walking meditation I found very easy and useful is to count the number of steps for each inbreath and also for the outbreath. Extend the number of steps as far as you can without being uncomfortable.
I have found this to be very powerful, but as Yogani would say - be careful of it in relation to self-pacing, because it would be an additional practice to mantra meditation.

Hope this helps
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  11:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
but as Yogani would say - be careful of it in relation to self-pacing, because it would be an additional practice to mantra meditation.

Well Louis.. If Yogani says this.. its because he is right.. I have a bad habit of counting my inbreath and outbreath....Causes trouble during Shamyama.. when I drop the word and get into the "mind blank" mode.. I find myself counting my breath... Anything that is wrong.. I have learnt to do really well...
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  11:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Louis, thank you for the walking mediation suggestion. I've long wanted to try that and didn't really know where to start with it...

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  09:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000