Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Why is it not good to do SBP on the move?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neutrino

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  08:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I'm new to SBP having come from a qi gong background. It was quite difficult at first to conceptually accept the idea of running awareness up the spine without also bringing it down the front of the body, like in the microcosmic orbit. But so far I this practice and its simplicity seem to be very quickly beneficial.

I've read some posts here which advise against doing SBP outside of practice time. But I find myself doing it during the day, either standing, or sitting on the tube etc. In qi gong circles these things also tend to be contra-indicated, as they say it disperses qi if you are not stationary.

As practice time is never enough, I do find myself doing it e.g. on a car journey or tube ride with positive results. But I'd be interested to hear more experienced practitioner's advice!

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neutrino,
Welcome to the forum.
If you have a read of chapter 50 from the main lessons - it addresses a few of your concerns...
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  03:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino
As practice time is never enough, I do find myself doing it e.g. on a car journey or tube ride with positive results.

Riding in two tubes at the same time eh... journey within a journey.

I guess its the benefit of having a qi gong background.

What are your experiences (positive results) with this on the move SBP?

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  10:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neutrino,

I share your feelings. It may not be standard AYP, but meditation and SBP grow to become natural states (experienced throughout the day). If you can feel the energy, that means thath you have "quieted your mind". Quieting your mind is always helpful. Just watch to make sure that you don't have any "overload" issues.

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

Neutrino

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  12:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I just read chapter 50 - glad to see that in there, I don't remember that info from the book.

The results for me are the same as from doing SBP as normal - which is why I'm happy to continue. I tend to mostly do it seated if I'm on public transport, or even a quick 30 seconds if I'm sat at my desk etc. I have occasionally combined it with walking or moving around generally - even doing taiji, just experimenting at this stage really. Just introducing a thought of one cycle seems beneficial too, even though I'm not doing it 'correctly'.

The interesting thing for me is the subtlety of the focus in SBP. I've practiced the microcosmic orbit and various nei gung methods, but this is very subtle. So far it's been very nice, maybe because awareness is so lightly employed. In qi gong, they talk about qi being led by yi (intent), although more often than not, the training starts with the gross body, moving on to qi and then eventually yi.

Horses for courses, perhaps, but I'm definitely into 'less is more' these days!

I've already learnt a lot from this forum, it seems a really good place...

Edited by - Neutrino on Jun 25 2011 2:40:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000