Yoga, Career and Money
 Future career change
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  6:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hiya everyone, I hope your all feeling bliss and ecstasy :)

I'm a bit scared right now.

My parents have gone away for a few days and i'm in deep contemplation (the house is empty)

I've been praying and practicing meditation and i'm having a realisation.

For ages i've been talking about getting ttraining in Reiki seichem and yoga and i'd also like to teach meditation.

I kno i'll never make much money but i'd be so happy.

I'm nervous about this life changing decision. I'm not that much of a confident person so i need to develop, but at the same time if i stick around doing the rubbish office job much longer i don't know what will happen.

I really need the strength to follow this through.

Joseph

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  9:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Joseph,

The best way to make a career change like that is to start doing them in your spare time. While doing your regular job, learn Reiki and do yoga. That way there is nothing scary about it, and you can fine tune exactly what your new career will consist of as you go.
You will probably find you are really good at some aspect of it, and also you will probably change some of it as you go.
You will also start to be around other people interested in these things, and eventually build some clients, and you will know the best time to drop your old job.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  3:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish
be around other people interested in these things, and eventually build some clients, and you will know the best time to drop your old job.

I do agree. For example, a yoga RYT (TT Course, 200 hrs due to Yoga Alliance standard) costs quite a big amount and gives quite a small stepping stone (a sheet of paper or a Pdf file alone doesn't make a teacher).
The first step toward action is learning about the real situation, to see if there are people around who are ready to pay for your service. Some of my very best teachers have been spare-time or part-time teachers; that enabled them to focus on yoga itself rather than the busines side of things.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  02:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Joseph
i work in a bank and i teach hatha yoga 3 times a week...

my advice to u is too keep your office job...and use your annual holiday to get a reiki or yoga certification
then when you finish the certification start by giving classes part time...

then when the time is right you will naturally drop the job (like ether said)....meanwhile the situation will be good cause like Hatha said ", you will be focused on yoga and NOT the business side of it
so go step by step do not throw yourself into the unknown
best of luck
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  12:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  06:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the sound advice per above. Also might be worth considering trying to get a better office job instead of the rubbish one. Surely your future yoga students deserve a teacher who's not grumpy coming out of the office. Another option (my preferred one) is to organize weekly or biweekly AYP sessions at your workplace, or annual big workshops. Best of luck, Lili
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  1:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had many similar moments/times where I have wondered what I should do with regards to career; finding one that would not have a negative effect, or if possible, even a positive effect on my Sadhana (still umming and arrring but think I have decided for now). I wonder whether they even have to be connected. All you need work for is for money to maintain your physical form to enable you to do your practice (unless you want more). Just as long as you apply the principles of Karma Yoga to your work, it doesn't matter what you do.

I would also agree with the all the advice given so far. But would also like to point out:

"The bank manager is just as holy as the yoga teacher." A quote from when I saw Mooji (very applicable to you Maheswari ).

Though obviously, it can appear to the body/mind/ego that there are some jobs that are more conducive to awakening than others and from a separate ego perspective maybe this is the case; though of course all is Brahman, nothing is more Brahman than anything else; though still, whilst we are not self realised perhaps some work is better for us (individually) to be doing.

I asked Mooji for some advice regarding this kind of stuff. "If all is perfect etc, if all is Holy, if we are to just live, then how do I decide future goals/which way to go/which way to move?" His answer was (from memory [will update if I find to be incorrect {have it on tape}]). "You are life. Follow your heart."

No matter what you do it is all about how it is done, serving The Self/God in all, whilst concurrently working without attachment or aversion to outcome.

Yogani does cover this but I have found this resource useful for instructions RE: Karma Yoga: http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/fourpaths.html

Like my very wise Buddy says, it is all very simple. A lot of stuff can just come down to remembering to work/be without attachment or aversion to any outcome.

Just some words that popped up when reading this. Hope they help.

P.S (I just did a Yoga teacher training course and from previously looking into combining work with God/Yoga etc have looked at a few different possibilities/pathways (RE work), if you want to know more then feel free to email me, or if you would like me to post any suggestions just let me know).

Love
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  2:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"The bank manager is just as holy as the yoga teacher." A quote from when I saw Mooji (very applicable to you Maheswari ).

cool but i will be contented with one enlightenment not two
checked the link you suggested....did you do TTC in Sivananda ahsram?....did mine in Canada....
thx for sharing
Love
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  10:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 11jono11

...Just as long as you apply the principles of Karma Yoga to your work, it doesn't matter what you do...

That's key. The feeling of Flow & immersion, of doing it well, is more important than money or social status. Knowledge professions or arts for example are good for that, but not necessary: either way, you never get Flow as a pill, or as a diploma.

quote:
...it can appear to the body/mind/ego that there are some jobs that are more conducive to awakening than others and from a separate ego perspective maybe this is the case...

There might be some, but far too often they just upgrade an ego to an even bigger fancier one, with the glam of a "spiritual" surface...

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Aug 19 2011 10:58:37 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000