New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  01:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reminder, David. Yes, it's warm salt water, around 1 teaspoon of salt to every 500ml of warm water.

Decon, I haven't tried enema. I wish I could I try, but it's not convenient to do it at my home. Shankprakshalana is a more thorough cleansing than enema, as it cleanses not just the colon, but the whole digestive system as salt water passes through it from the mouth to the anus. But it's more exhausting. For me, though, I find it rather refreshing, especially on the day after Shankprakshalana.

I don't have experience in enema. But I think if you want to combine it with fasting, it's suggestive to wait for some hours without food before you do enema. So that the colon is more empty, and then you clean its lining with water. Does it make sense?

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Mar 30 2006 02:36:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  10:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the use of fasting is to teach yourself that you are not your cravings. The part that is beyond the hunger is you.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  10:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"By contemplating on oneself, by eating sparingly, and by practicing Siddhasana for 12 years, the Yogi obtains success." -Hatha Yoga Pradipika

I'm coming to the opinion that 'eating sparingly' is up there in importance with exercise, stretching and pranayama. In that sense, it's a perfect companion to IAMing.

I'm getting back into the Warrior Diet I found on the nutrition forum of Dragondoor.com (just search "warrior diet") Essentially, it's about eating once a day.

I had gotten out of it before as I was surrounded by lots of people in the "Zone" type mindset, where you have to eat a solid meal 3-5 times a day so you don't spike your insulin levels. That's sort of the normally accepted view and so I didn't know if there would be long term ill effects of once a day eating. Now that I've read all the rat longevity studies, I'm convinced that fasting is very good for the body assuming one gets the proper nutrients of course.

The fasting reading says that actually eating nothing is good for steady insulin levels too. According to Dr. Furhman's book on fasting on amazon, the problem comes when you try to mix snacking on carbs while fasting--that can be enough to knock the body out of ketosis but not provide enough carb fuel. You can get lost in the middle. I don't know if I agree with that, but it does explain why a tiny snack and fasting don't mix for me. Just a small snack makes the fast difficult to maintain in my case.

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  12:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim'n wrote:
I think the use of fasting is to teach yourself that you are not your cravings. The part that is beyond the hunger is you.

It does give me a different view of cravings. At the end of the fast I go through a long list of things in my mind that I want to eat, and none of them seems like "enough". It's like the craving and the actual food are two different things.

Yoda wrote: . . ."I was surrounded by lots of people in the "Zone" type mindset, where you have to eat a solid meal 3-5 times a day so you don't spike your insulin levels."

I think the zone is very good nutritional advice, and I follow it often as I have hypoglycemia. It consists of the proper ratio of protein-carb-fat. It doesn't have to be a whole meal. You can eat one spoonful of the proper ratio, and it conforms to "the zone". If I am fasting to get rid of a disease, and it's particularly bad, I will do just that. Eat just an ounce of the proper ratio, then return to the fast for another day. It has very little relapse effect on the disease.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do think the Zone is a good diet strategy, it's the 3+ square meals a day I was responding to.

I just read in yesterday's paper that calorie restriction reverses aging in humans (reverses age related DNA damage in a 6 month study). Imo, that goes with the meridian/nadi cleaning that takes place with fasting.

Urine drinking anyone? Seriously, it's in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika. I often drink a bit in the shower just as a system check, and more if I'm feeling a cold coming on, but not enough to be therapeutic probably.

I'll have to combine it with fasting sometime to see what that's like.

I'm diggin eating 1x a day so far. I can do two iam sessions plus yoga stretching on a totally empty stomach so I feel that I can cover more ground per session. Plus, I enjoy eating more. Plus I could stand to loose a few pounds.

I'm blowing off any serious fasting aside from that. One website I found says that 40 day water fasts are healthy to do, but you have to go 21 days at least to gain real spiritual results. The writer didn't get into any more detail, but he knew about the whole breatherian claim and the sungazing thing, and he seemed experienced.

I know that my 2 day fast increased a sense of detachment and created a mild euphoria so I'm guessing that effect would deepen with greater duration and maybe 21 days would trigger some new sort of physiological functioning.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  11:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
>> Urine drinking anyone? Seriously, it's in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika.

There are lots of urine-drinkers here. Search on 'amaroli' on the forum. There is a lesson on it too.

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  07:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
Yoda said:
I know that my 2 day fast increased a sense of detachment and created a mild euphoria so I'm guessing that effect would deepen with greater duration and maybe 21 days would trigger some new sort of physiological functioning.

I did a 6 day fast on grapes and water, a few years back along with a group of people.
It was quit a learning for me. The first two and a half days were the most difficult, this is where the cravings and emotional eating were hammering at my door.
Once the body is empty of food apparently the cravings dissapear. So the important thing is not to eat anything, even snacks, as they will restart the cravings. Don't know why the grapes do not act like food in that way but I was able to eat as many as I wanted.

After day 3 the body started feeling lighter and on day 5 I went to my tai chi class and boy was it powerful. No conductivity for me, but just the feeling of being all energy and feeling the smooth resistance of love chi in every movement.
When I went to bed that night I could'nt feel my physicallity, when I joined my fingers all I felt was energy.
I had to stop it on day 6 because I work in dangerous environments and have to be well grounded.

Two others in the group went on and completed 30 days. One of which says it had a permanent effect on his eating habits. He said he no longer felt emotional cravings, whereas previously he would devour a packet of biscuits if he was feeling emotional.

So that's by bit on fasting
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  7:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,
This grape and water fasting.. can wine be substituted for grapes???
I would like to know some more on this fast. In India.. some women around this time of the year do a 21 day fast on fruits and water alone.. which actually ended on Wed. but I had not heard of a grape fasting. So is this something done in Ireland, or something to do with religion or some group you belong to? Was the purpose of this fast spiritual, religious, therapeutic, or just a whim? Did the guys loose a lot of weight.. or did it not matter? Did you not feel weak and fatigued and dizzy.. so all these feelings you had were they just your body protesting or did it really increase your energy level?
Sorry for so many questions.. Just saw 3 bags of grapes in my fridge.. so I was just wondering....
-Shweta.

Edited by - Shanti on Apr 07 2006 9:59:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  06:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shweta (lovely name)

This grape and water fasting.. can wine be substituted for grapes???

I think this has been well tried and tested, and on an ongoing basis in Irish pubs

Did we do it on a whim - yes . Not my whim but the whim of a healer who was facilitating a group of us on a healing course. He said he had a dream and that we should all go on a grape fast (subject to clearance from our doctor) for one week.
It was all done in a jovial maner as were the instructions, we were laughing and serious at the same time, if you know what I mean.

It was do do with spiritual clensing, getting in touch with our cravings, our emotional eating habits and tetoxing.

The two people that did the 30 days did loose some weight. Both were in their twenties and quite fit, the weight loss was not excessive.

Is it done in Ireland - only in the pubs, as stated above

Sometimes I felt a little weak and had to be careful about getting up too quickly from a chair. Slow methodical movements were the order of the day and the application of mindfulness and awareness in everything that I did - this was my safeguard in operating in my job environment, it was my grounding.

The girl that did the 30 days was operating a playschool with about 20 children at the time and managed to hold all this together, she did loose some weight but said her awareness and energy work with qi gong was amazing.
The chap that did it was unemployed with lots of spare time, he would also practice a lot of yoga and meditation. He managed quite well.

I think the grapes should be purple grapes and the water should be pure. Tap water with chlorine and/or flourine is not recommended.
The grapes apparently have a good tetox effect (including the pips) and also supply nutrients.

For more info on see
http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/GrapeCure.html
and
http://www.althealth.co.uk/services...fasting1.php

The best of luck and make sure you ok it with your doctor
Louis

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are funny Louis. I thought Irish pubs were more about grains.. not fruits.. Oh well shows how much I know..

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was curious.. will try it some day.. not sure I could give up my cup of tea in the morning yet!!!
-Shweta.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  11:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Shweta, we do have a reputation for falling around the place slubbering pints of Guinness and saying the rosary. Times are changing however and the sophisticated european set now partake of the grape in abundant merryment
The rosary, which I was always very fond of, is being replaced with meditation and yoga. - have to get promoting AYP.

Yes, very partial to the cup of tea meself, to be sure

Louis
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  12:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
very partial to the cup of tea meself, to be sure

Not sure about that today Louis.. I think I am giving up caffeine..
quote:
we do have a reputation for falling around the place slubbering pints of Guinness and saying the rosary

Well my grandma was British.. I have heard a lot about the Irish from her.. so I am sure I don't have the whole picture.. if you know what I mean
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  1:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sparkle said:
we do have a reputation for falling around the place slubbering pints of Guinness and saying the rosary

Shanti your British grandmother is right --- always trust the prejudices of older generations --- all the stereotypes about the Irish are correct. I spend all my time slubbering pints of Guinness, saying the rosary, and contributing to AYP only in the small spaces between rosary and guinness.

Can't you see excess alcohol and blind dogmatic belief written between the lines in everything I say and do?

Edited by - david_obsidian on Apr 08 2006 1:04:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David you are funny... so you are into the grain fasting huh??
quote:

Can't you see excess alcohol and blind dogmatic belief written between the lines in everything I say and do?

Actually.. other than a few things you hear that were never said and once when you were talking to yourself... I would have never guessed you were between your "slubbering pints of Guinness and saying the rosary"

Edited by - Shanti on Apr 08 2006 1:31:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  5:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Hello Folks,
any one knowledgable of why some one would fast for 40 days? why not 43 or 39?
I have just read that 15 days is the magic number, and not to go to 16. Not that I ever got past 2, or could do it, but for a householder there was no resson...

Any thoughts on this?

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  8:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Frank,

I think the 40 day fast comes from this and maybe other quotes of the bible:

Moses Exodus 34:28:

And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

But I don't think I would be able to fast that long.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  8:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Louis and David.. had my first sip of a meal today..Guinness.. Well all I am going to say is it is an acquired taste
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  9:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
[quote]Originally posted by weaver

Moses Exodus 34:28:{/quote]

Hello Weaver,
thanks for the note... yes, this is the 'gold standard' for fasting.
Now every thing I have read on this suggests the following: the 'mind' is nourished by food/earth, energy /prana by water, and speech made of agni/fire. The different food-stuffs we take in then nourish this parts. So, as time goes on during a fast and one does not eat, then the mind is therefore less crisp/alert and the memory fades. W/O water, energy fades and does vak or congruity of speech - that is, one gets drawn more into silence. So, Jesus' 40-40 days and nights is truly remarkable.
So , I wonder why 40? I look 'up' and turn to some Jyotish info and come up empty handed for explanation. If it were 15 or 16 days, I can discern the meaning... 0r 30 days (a lunar month), but the 40 has me baffled for the spiritual reason. There must be more to it then meets the eye... Even if there were something to 10 X 4 perhaps??? just fishing for ideas.

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank,

Here are some thorough discussions of the significance of 40 days:

http://www.creation-answers.com/forty.htm
http://www.oricom.ca/sdesr/nu40.htm

Edited by - weaver on Apr 08 2006 10:17:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
quote:
Originally posted by weaver

the significance of 40 days:

http://www.creation-answers.com/forty.htm

Hello Weaver,
way cool... 1 down 149 more questions to solve. this is really interesting from a jyotish perspective. In Vedic-Jyotish ( science of light) we use 360 to discern a year. So, 360/40 is 9.
Nine is very significant number, as it defines 9 grahas ( roughly planets, but really means that which holds/binds). As in this site you gave [thank you again <<< >>> ] its clear that 9 is signifcant too. I will leave it here for now, and go kick around a few more things on this site. Not many are Jyotish-interested, so I am just flapp'n my gum's.

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  3:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Weaver has cracked the case.

Some additional thoughts:

I think it was in Dr Fuhrman's book on fasting that he said that 40 days is the maximum length a healthy person with normal fat deposits can fast without causing damage.

A professor of Hebrew religion I know believes that 40 days/years in the Hebrew scriptures was their code for "a long time."
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  12:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  08:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A must read for any fasters:

http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/pd...100years.pdf

If the link ever dies, google or wiki Luigi Cornaro "Discourses on the sober life" (How to live 100 years)

Totally cool.

Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  6:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing that Luigi Cornaro (linked in the above post) claims is that fasting improves one's singing voice. I've noticed on the days that I do fast that this seems to be the case. I hope Luigi is right that there's a long term cumulative effect. That'd be cool! He says that due to fasting, his voice is better in his 80s than it was in his 30s.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal fasting update: I've been on and off eating every other day for the last few months. Right now, I'm following the eatQOD.com alternating day protocol by drinking tomato juice on my fasting days. My guess is that this might be more sustainable and easy than the strict fasting every other day.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000