AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 self inquiry/witness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  02:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

Can you please explain to me just exactly what self inquiry is? I realise I could look this up, but I wanted fresh answers from you folks.
And another topic that I am sort of puzzled about, but beginning to understand is the silent witness. Is this located at the third eye, or is it generalised? I can sense its presense, but not at all times. Any input?

Thanks,
nirmal

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  4:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nirmal,

for me personally, at this stage, self-inquiry means:

Observing (and labeling) of all physical and mental phenomena, as they occur, in their true nature.

By observing physical and mental phenomena I mean attentively 'looking' at whatever content there is in my mind right now, paying attention to one thing at a time, namely the one that is prominent right now (not choosing actively.)

By labeling I mean constantly and repetitively reminding myself of what I am looking at.

By in their true nature I mean without thinking.

When doing this, things start to reveal their deeper nature after a little while.

Edited by - mimirom on Apr 30 2011 5:01:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nirmal

Can you please explain to me just exactly what self inquiry is? I realise I could look this up,

Hi Nirmal,

I like your question very much.

For me, asking "Who am I?" is something I do between sits during daily life and it helps me to be present in the present moment in relation to what is here now. The more there is growing inner silence, the more there is that generalized sense of witness consciousness, the sort that helps me move through situations in life intuitively.

Love, peace, and light,

Be
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Everything melting in Awareness

May I suggest reading the book "Awareness" by Father Anthony De Mello.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi everyone,

Can you please explain to me just exactly what self inquiry is? I realise I could look this up, but I wanted fresh answers from you folks.

Hi Nirmal,
Self Inquiry techniques are practices that help us see how our mind works and go beyond the mind. Depending on what stage we are at in our path, we can do different kinds of self inquiry.
The best way to know what kind of self inquiry will work is to read this lesson Lesson 327 – The Evolutionary Stages of Mind

When you go through that lesson you will see, there are 5 stages of the mind:
Pre-Witnessing
Witnessing
Discrimination
Dispassion
Unity

As we continue cultivating inner silence and purifying our nervous system though our practices, we will move through the above stages of the mind.

Adding any self inquiry technique in the pre-witness stage is going to result in trying to understand the mind with the mind, which Yogani calls a non-relational self inquiry. At this point, self inquiry is more an exercise in playing mind games. At this stage we can add some self inquiry techniques with the help of another person(therapist, friend, self inquiry teacher). Some of these techniques would be "The Work" by Byron Katie, "REBT" (Rational emotive behavior therapy) by Albert Ellis, Real Love by Greg Baer. Most of these will work when done with someone who knows the technique and can help us see the pitfalls of the mind. If we are ready to accept and see these pitfalls, we can get some relief from the suffering we cause ourselves with thinking.

Then once we are in the witness stage, we can see that there is a "mind" making things happen in our life. This stage, we still cannot separate "our self" from our mind, but we can see how the mind is keeping all our suffering in place. This is when we start doing inquiry from within, from stillness, this is what Yogani calls relational self-inquiry. At this stage we can practice self inquiry techniques like "The Work" by Byron Katie, "REBT" (Rational emotive behavior therapy) by Albert Ellis, Real Love by Greg Baer on our own to start separating the mind from the self. This is a great place to start samyama too.

The next is the Discrimination stage. Here we are more rooted in stillness.
At this point we can take the mind level inquiry techniques and drop them in silence (that is why it is great to start samyama in the witness stage, we have enough silence in the witness satge to start the more mechanical process of picking a sutra and dropping it in silence). For example the work has a final step of 'Embracing Reality"... this is the hardest step at the pre-witness level, it gets a bit easier at the witness level, but in the discrimination stage, we can embrace the reality by just dropping it in stillness. In fact most of those self inquiry techniques become refined and practices like the work becomes a case of asking "is it true?" dropping in stillness and at times the answers arising from stillness without even having to go through the full process.
This is also a great time to work with the 'gap technique", because now we have enough stillness to to be able to catch the gap between thoughts. The "neti neti technique" - not this, not this... as we can again let go in stillness whatever thoughts/ideas may be arising.
It is a great stage to really work with samyama, becasue now samyama is getting more and more powerful with the increased level of silence. We can start incorporating samyama with prayer and healing and self inquiry, etc.
This is also a great point to start the "Who Am I" inquiry. Now more answers are coming from stillness.
There is more from Yogani in this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/350.html

Dispassion is when we can now let go in stillness naturally. Here, samayama becomes a natural practice. When there is discomfort, we pick it up and let it go in stillness and without making it a formal practice. "Who Am I" kind of self inquiry takes on a life of its own and becomes more about naturally moving away from the association with body/mind and getting in touch with awareness. It is more about becoming the screen (awareness) on which the movie of life is playing.

Unity is when we live samyama. Now, there is complete trust and letting go happening every moment. There is not a doing, there is only living. The mind may still poke it's head through the doors, but there is awareness of what is going on at all times. Now self inquiry is not a practice, it is a way of life. You are the screen... nothing is not you... it is all one... it is experiencing the duality in the "one"... the non-dual.

None of these are distinct phases, they overlap with the stage before and after them and at times it may feel like moving from one to another and moving back. But when you are in discrimination, you cannot go back to the pre-witness stage permanently, or when you are in dispassion you cannot go back to the witness stage permanently, as long as you are continuing with your practices.

quote:

And another topic that I am sort of puzzled about, but beginning to understand is the silent witness. Is this located at the third eye, or is it generalised? I can sense its presense, but not at all times.

The silent witness is not another... it is like you are watching yourself. It is not located anywhere.
http://www.aypsite.org/157.html
What is inner silence? It has many names in the traditions: sat-chit-ananda, the Self, the witness, unconditioned awareness, the void, emptiness, Father God, Shiva, samadhi, Tao, and so on... In the lessons we often call it pure bliss consciousness. So many names for what amounts to nothingness. But the nothingness is alive. It is aware. It is everywhere. And it is somehow blissful within itself. It is the "I" in you and me that remains constant. It is the universal "I" that expresses as all that we see, yet remains mostly hidden within, except to those who have cultivated Self-awareness through yoga. Success in that cultivation brings a state of freedom from the ups and downs of this world, even as we continue to be involved in our everyday activities.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  10:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: The practices I mentioned above are the ones I have worked with. There are many many other practices. The best way to judge if we are ready for a practice, if it makes us go, what are they talking about? or our mind makes a picture of what it may feel like to experience this and that... we are not ready for it. When we are ready for a practice and we try it, it feels like something we were waiting for... feels natural although it may be clunky and may take time to "get it"... it will not feel like something "out there".
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  12:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti, When I asked that question I knew it was stupid, I had read somewhere about that...duh...

In spite of my ignorance, I still feel ready to begin self inquiry. Even have felt this way for some time, but didn´t know what to call it.

Thanks to all for your replies!

Love,
nirmal
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  02:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nirmal ..there are NO stupid questions
simply put....Self enquiry is discrimination b/w the real and the unreal...read the book "Be as you are/David Godman"
it is useless to locate the silent witness just be this witness...
Love

Edited by - maheswari on May 13 2011 02:44:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys,

After reading so much material, I believe my mind has been getting in the way of my mind!

I think part of the reason for the silly question comes from knowing about the corona radiata (1,000petal lotus) as the seat of divine light. I think I got it a little bit confused!

I am aware that silent witness is of the mind; detatched and non-judjudgmental.

Yesterday self inquiry began kind of spontaneously. I started asking myself if I Really, Really wanted Enlightenment. Was I willing to do Anything to make significant progress towards it. I´ve been asking myself that ever since then.

nirmal
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  09:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I forgot to mention in case you´ve forgotten too, is that the corona radiata is located in the pineal gland in the brain.
n.
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

I received input from self enquiry, and I really do desire enlightenment, whatever that is. Awakening certainly comes first.

So now that I know, I can move forward with renewd vigor and conviction in my practices. Practices with no expectations,but with dedication.

nirmal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000