Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Hariharananda Techniques
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

threearrows

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  01:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I know there are a few people on this forum that are familiar with Hariharananda yoga and pranayama techniques.

Could someone please point me to a resource that elaborates on the pranayama, etc. techniques the Hariharananda lineage teaches in more detail...or, if not, please elaborate on them?

Best,
james

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The only source that I know of to provide details is the Ennio Nimis web site. Hariharanada's group is secrective, and will not openly discuss.
If you want the most up to date version of his Kriya, I suggest you contact and attend their 1st kriya initiation.
Go to Top of Page

kriyawit

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  4:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As a Kriyavan of this lineage and a friend of Ennio Nimis I can tell you for a fact that Ennio does not reveal their technique in his book.

Arjuna speaks truly KYI will not discuss the technique nor should they this is something that has to be learned and they are more than willing to teach everyone in person.

Just so you know initiation cost is $150.00 U.S. Dollars. This is usually performed over a period of two full days.

For example Friday evening mandatory introductory event that is free to the public to attend. After the event one can communicate with the Swamis and or teachers of the lineage and ask whatever is on your mind as a Former SRF Kriyaban I had allot of doubts concerning Kriya groups.

Sat Morning one on one Kriya initiation in person not a mass initiation from a stadium for those who are interested, bring 5 fruits and 5 flowers as part of the initiation. This is followed by instruction and demonstration of the 7 / 8 total Kriya techniques in first initiation.

This is followed by guided practice.

Break for lunch return and more instruction followed by more guided practice.

The next morning Sunday morning is started with a question and answer session a review of the techniques and a guided practice of all techniques.

Break for lunch return for more review Another guided practice of all techniques followed by a final Question and answer session.

All in all $150.00 is a small sum to contribute for this kind of training in person no book can ever match. Besides that it is a great opportunity to make new friends with a common interest. I can not speak highly enough of this organization and trust me as a former SRF Kriyaban that is saying something.

FYI for those who do go to become initiated be prepaired to be pretty tired Saturday and Sunday evening this is a very powerful event and you will sleep like a log afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  8:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing Kriyawit!

After 30 years of on and off practice of SRF techniques I find my twice a day sitting practices the last two months supercharged now using the AYP techniques...and still feel devotion to SRF.

So I gotta ask if you prefer the Hariharananda pranayama techniques over the SRF ones?...have you read the AYP lessons and tried the AYP Spinal Breathing and all the modifications?

As you are a friend of Ennio Nimis I'm curious and would respect your opinion.

Edited by - BillinL.A. on Apr 09 2013 8:54:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

kriyawit

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  12:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

Thanks for sharing Kriyawit!

After 30 years of on and off practice of SRF techniques I find my twice a day sitting practices the last two months supercharged now using the AYP techniques...and still feel devotion to SRF.

So I gotta ask if you prefer the Hariharananda pranayama techniques over the SRF ones?...have you read the AYP lessons and tried the AYP Spinal Breathing and all the modifications?

As you are a friend of Ennio Nimis I'm curious and would respect your opinion.

Hello. In the spirit of friendship and good natured sharing Ennio has given to me I will answer your questions and add more than you asked for. Consider this my introduction and a contribution to this site that is so full of information. The Kriya I practice is from a lineage that like most asks one not to attempt to teach or share the actual methods so I do not, My life experiences in sadhana however are mine to share as is any other part of my life.

Everyone is welcomed by Kriya Yoga Institute to take initiation and be taught one on one. No one is excluded as they view God is within everyone so whom shall be excluded? This initiation and being taught in person with constant attention and correction of technique being given is done over the coarse of a Friday evening in a public lecture of sorts open to all and then over the coarse of two full days a Sat & Sunday usually.

Initiation for me was a profound experience that could never be considered acceptable to miss now that I have had it. My Heart center literally opened and tears of joy streamed down my face without cease for over two hours while others were taking initiation and I felt no embarrassment. Swami Atmavidyananda who initiated me knew what was happening and commented with good nature Quote: Anahata's Green Fire has a smokey quality that makes the eyes water does it not? This he did with a warm smile of true affection and kind knowing.

I was once an SRF affiliated Kriyaban. I started with SRF at age 17 and knew at the time what Yogananda had created had been altered by the influence of Mormon styled Christianity being blended with Hinduism into a religion and a Church that was not for me. Yogananda did the West a service but what survived his passing is for someone other than myself. I have always had great affection for the Kriya line of Gurus but not SRF.

From SRF I obtained Kriya technique knowledge and knew the minute I learned it that this was not the correct method or perhaps at-least not for me. I was greatly disappointed with a certainty that was impossible to have. It was there non-the-less. Whom else may I truly speak for?

Now this body is in it's mid 40's I purchased Yogani's advanced lessons back in 2007 and found his spinal breathing technique to be very similar to what SRF teaches not identical but close. SRF as you are likely aware has changed the main Kriya Pranayama 3 to 4 times over the years, so depending on who taught you and what political line they were towing at the time I am hardly surprised to read what you have shared.

The technique as currently taught in this year 2012 & 2013 with Initiation from / given by Swami Atmavidyananda to myself in 2012 by the organization KYI ( Kriya Yoga Institute ) Hariharananda left behind has seen it's fair share of modifications as well. The technique currently taught is extremely powerful and completely unlike anything listed on this site. The technique is actually 7 Kriyas 8 counting everything all told that one practices twice daily once bare minimum.

The actual Technique of Kriya Pranayama is so different from what I call the consensus based Kriya Pranayama that closely resembles the spinal breathing exercise that it is truly questionable as to weather what they teach is even Kriya as it is known by all other avenues, or Kriya at all.

In private conversation Ennio ( who is also a Kriyavan of this lineage ) we discussed this very matter and I highly suspect what KYI is teaching is a modification made by Swami SriYukteswar and further modified into its current distillation of strong 144 proof liqueur as it were.

Once I had a problem with modifications being so enamored of Lahiri Mahsaya but now I do not. Is it not the nature of life to continue to evolve and adapt? Should one use bronze to make a pot when Stainless Steel clad with copper sandwiched in-between is available? Should one do as others when something else suits them better? Should one not do as there inner being requests and shows the way. When questioned thusly the answers like the questions are simple and forthcoming. Getting to the point of asking this way however is not.

As you already understand being a friend of Ennio I have a veritable plethora of information on the different ways Kriya is taught and dear Ennio has helped me through some of the rough patches that came from practicing this brand of Kriya which has indeed forced me to self pace as this board calls it and even perform different Kriyas from other lineages at times, during the coarse of sadhana I listen to my feelings and pay attention to where the energy wants to go and what it wants to do and let the Pranayama take over. This is the life force and it is intelligent. By doing this many new techniques were learned but I always find myself coming back to this KYI way of Kriya. Even though at first the side effects of rapid change brought on by it were difficult to adapt to.

This way of Kriya as it is taught does not specify Talabya Kriya exercise I learned that from Ennio. This lineage however calls partial Kechari simply Kechari and acknowledges that when the time is right the tongue goes up on it's own no need to force it. I found this to be very true. Within 3 months of practicing Talabya as taught by Ennio and two months after initiation I achieved full Kechari behind the nasal septum ( without cutting the lingual frenulum ) what is described as stage 3 Kechari.

This largely occurred due to the energy flows that were caused by the KYI way of Kriya which involves the Sahasrara center and Ajna is treated as just another center.

The 7th center creates a strong pull on the energetic system and this strong pull demands the energy circuit closed in Kechari be made. When this connection is made it defies words. Nothing is ever the same again and no sadhana is complete nor as fulfilling with out it once one knows the difference and even if I attempt to stay out of kechari it will go on its own slipping into position with a will guided by demand for energetic closure of the circuit.

In other words it is like trying to keep a cat in the house that wants out. The minute you open the door just a crack and your attention is not on it, that cat, it will slip past you every time. So it is with Kechari.

When people read the warnings and the things others report when opening the crown they should be headed.

I encountered a great many things not all of them pleasant, most were very difficult to deal with at times, this is what caused me to practice different Kriyas closely related to spinal breathing which eventually allowed me to return to what feels right when it felt right to do. The other forms were not satisfying to my inner being which is this form of KYI Kriya involving the 7th center.

Bare in mind these issues occurred prior to full kechari. When full Kechari occurred it did so because by practicing Talabya the tissues of the mouth were made conditioned and the demands for closing the circuit became incredibly forceful while practicing KYI Kriya.

When Kechari occurred my entire life changed literally I truly am not the same person I was before but still me if you know what I mean. Just more adult more grown up more quiet of mind more the witness to everything than ever before including my own thoughts and emotions compassionately detached from everything in this world and everyone including this little I EGO that is writing these words but not aloof, estranged or disconnected, it is very harmonious.

The initial side effects of Kechari were dangerous as that which animates this flesh kept attempting to exit via the crown center, if this happens to anyone just focus in the heart center and re-root your animating principle there, this is what I had to do and at times it took constant attention not to slip the frame. When this happened the body would literally drop like a puppet with slack strings until this I took up the strings and made them tight again by reentering the animating principal into the chest / Heart Center Anahata.

I also had to stop all efforts in the crown center and return to ajna in sadhana stopping Kriya only made energy pile up and create very ill side effects that only kriya would level out.

In a way after a certain point on this path you have to stay moving foreword, there is very little effort required after a certain point it is not like making yourself go to the gym to do your scheduled workout, when I wake in the morning it is always before the alarm and I am not always ready to practice Kriya so I sit and practice any way and within moments of practice I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for being able to do so and slip into practice like a seal into water it is all very nice.

Time has passed and I now find myself very much at home in the crown center. In daily life I am there and here all at the same time and the integration continues to evolve become more natural and easier. There are no longer any negative side effects nor emotional instabilities where emotions were at times greatly magnified beyond a reasonable level warranted by a set of given circumstances. In fact I actually feel more than prior to this sadhana and have developed the faculty of love of God to a greater extent which is a major Key to any sadhana practice.

I practice twice daily and the times when I feel tired or the mind is rough from circumstances of the day are when I least feel like practicing but are the times when I also gain the most comfort and growth from doing so anyway. For this person the path I am describing is wonderfully suited to my needs.

Now there is a feeling of hunger at the crown a feeling of desire a magnetic pulling drawing when practicing, a desire for focus to be there a desire for the circuit to be made there.

This school is also known to teach the use of an 8th Chakra above the 7th outside of the body as the focal point.

In recent days it has come to me to do this and treat the 7 the center as all the others. Profound silence is experienced here. After yesterday afternoons Kriya practice I was in a great stillness and it felt correct to lay down so I did. I was out like a light for over 2 hours when I awoke feeling very refreshed. I awoke this morning after the best nights sleep I can remember in quite some time, practiced Kriya the same way this morning and feel like an infant learning a new dimension of being that is so profoundly silent words fail to describe the experience.

Member threearrows the techniques are something that needs to be learned from a person not a book or a PDF file even Ennio will tell you this. Many think that initiation is not needed in my experience after experiencing both false initiations and 1 true initiation from one who truly is qualified to initiate the difference is profound and there is no need to argue the point even as gravity works so does this thing called true initiation.

If anyone wishes to learn from Kriya Yoga institute just go to the website and look up the events there you can also find out more about this lineage one could do far worse than to learn from these kind people.

In Fact I feel so strongly about the good that can be gained by learning from this lineage I recently invited my Mother to a Friday evening open discourse. I asked her at the end of the discourse what she thought did she wish to take initiation ? She replied I don't know what do you think? to which I replied you already know what I think or else we would not be here, but this must be your choice alone know this though I will stand by you whatever decision you make.

My dear sweet Mother is now a Kriyavan. I guess this makes her my Kriya sister now? Hmmm I will have to ask about that one? I of course took care of the initiation fee and attended both days with her so she would not have anxiety. She is so happy to be a part of this lineage and is getting such nice results she thanks me every-time we meet for this gift. For me I feel as if it is the whole reason we were bonded in this life as Mother and Child & I have fulfilled a sacred duty promised perhaps in another life.

Yes it is that powerful and yes I am keeping an eye on her to make sure she is ok.

Edited by - kriyawit on Apr 11 2013 1:11:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  2:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So super you contribute so much personal spiritual info Kriyawit!

Its especially sweet that you even share your Mother's progress and your close relationship with her as son and spiritual friend.
Go to Top of Page

kriyawit

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  2:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

So super you contribute so much personal spiritual info Kriyawit!

Its especially sweet that you even share your Mother's progress and your close relationship with her as son and spiritual friend.

God is in all of us to share Gods adventure in me is only right.

I do not share the techniques nor teach because I understand the inherit danger of misdirecting someone. Between the posts I called to check on my Mother only to discover she has only been practicing the first Kriya of the sequence and she remarked how much more energy she has and how she could never spend the last few days the way she has sorting clothing for the homeless the way she has before this. Being in a body aged 66 years is not easy from what she tells me.

I had to explain to her it was time to do more this is not easy because the one who initiated my Mother put me in a position of aiding her in Kriya in front of her telling her that to come to me I already knew everything that was needed and she has taken this to heart but sadly her faith in me is misplaced as I failed to explain that she needed to do more than just the first technique.

To understand this, one has to understand that learning all of these techniques in one or two days is difficult. I just happen to have a very good memory for this sort of thing and take very good notes.

My Mother was worried about not doing things correctly from memory so I asked her to just do the first technique for one week twice per day from her notes until she had it down. I then asked her to add the second on the second week and so on. Today 3 weeks later she informed me that she was only doing the first one because I had not told her to do the second one yet.

So I gently asked her to begin doing the second one after the first for 1 week and then add the 3rd and so on as time goes on. I also suggested that we should get together soon and reminded her that the grouping of techniques is synergistic in effect and all need to be done. All of this was done kindly not in a reprimanding or authoritative manner.

So this is exactly my point one may never know for certain how it is they are being interpreted in person let alone on-line. Being taught by one who is truly able to teach is priceless, during my Mothers initiation and training the teacher even corrected a facet of one of the Kriyas I was not doing 100% correctly and it made all the difference between night and day.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  3:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the input Kriyawit :)

A very good friend of mine and his mother were also students of Prajnananda, so from the same Hariharananda lineage. The mother still practices the techniques learnt from him, while her son has switched to Gurunath. Both are highly advanced, the son even nearly master-like. Both live in harmony and her mother attempts to kriya retreats lead by his son where a lot of Gurunath practitioners come, in the same way the son still visits Prajnananda with his mom.

It is known that Hariharananda loved the crown chakra :D http://www.hariharanandakriyayoga.o...WithBaba.jpg

Lahiri speaks of Paravastha in Kutashta, means in the third eye, while after Hariharananda Paravastha switched to the crown or even above. Gurunath continues this Paravastha in the crown, but his kriya pranayama only goes up to the third eye, so I'm not so sure if this alternation of the main kriya breath comes from Hariharananda himself or from some of his students. Gurunath learned from Hariharananda and practiced under him and later continued to practice under Sathyananda, another student of Hariharananda.

Don't know about the kriya breath of Prajnananda, but obviously Atmavidyananda teaches the breath including the crown. According to the official site:

http://www.kriya.org/about__swami.php?id=53

He has learned from Prajnananda aswell. Perhaps Prajnananda teaches the breath with crown involvement aswell, or even Hariharananda himself has changed the practice after some time, but in the beginning only taught the route up to the third eye.

It looks like 2013 is a year were kriya yoga becomes more transparent :) To my experience knowing more of the techniques and details would still cause the truly interested to see some advanced kriya practitioners, get inspired and relearn the techniques. It is not about the techniques but about the support and inspiration. Endless potent techniques are available but to see this working is the really valuable part.

Thanks again for the input and happy practicing :)
Go to Top of Page

kriyawit

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  10:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

Thank you very much for the input Kriyawit :)

A very good friend of mine and his mother were also students of Prajnananda, so from the same Hariharananda lineage. The mother still practices the techniques learnt from him, while her son has switched to Gurunath. Both are highly advanced, the son even nearly master-like. Both live in harmony and her mother attempts to kriya retreats lead by his son where a lot of Gurunath practitioners come, in the same way the son still visits Prajnananda with his mom.

It is known that Hariharananda loved the crown chakra :D http://www.hariharanandakriyayoga.o...WithBaba.jpg

Lahiri speaks of Paravastha in Kutashta, means in the third eye, while after Hariharananda Paravastha switched to the crown or even above. Gurunath continues this Paravastha in the crown, but his kriya pranayama only goes up to the third eye, so I'm not so sure if this alternation of the main kriya breath comes from Hariharananda himself or from some of his students. Gurunath learned from Hariharananda and practiced under him and later continued to practice under Sathyananda, another student of Hariharananda.

Don't know about the kriya breath of Prajnananda, but obviously Atmavidyananda teaches the breath including the crown. According to the official site:

http://www.kriya.org/about__swami.php?id=53

He has learned from Prajnananda aswell. Perhaps Prajnananda teaches the breath with crown involvement aswell, or even Hariharananda himself has changed the practice after some time, but in the beginning only taught the route up to the third eye.

It looks like 2013 is a year were kriya yoga becomes more transparent :) To my experience knowing more of the techniques and details would still cause the truly interested to see some advanced kriya practitioners, get inspired and relearn the techniques. It is not about the techniques but about the support and inspiration. Endless potent techniques are available but to see this working is the really valuable part.

Thanks again for the input and happy practicing :)

Thank you what a nice post.

From what I have determined the alteration might be the work of Prajnanandaji. I see the similarities in what Atmananda describes on his site
http://www.kriyayog.org/index.php?o...96&Itemid=72

even though he does not acknowledge his former affiliation with KYI nor Hariharananda any longer and instead has set himself up as a Guru.

I have read scuttlebutt about the separation each side has there own story to tell so I do not know nor care about the why of it that is between them, but I do not trust one who would erase his past and not be truthful about his lineage no matter what bad feelings they have, that is just common sense.

So back on the topic as far as I know Atmananda split from KYI while Hariharananda was still in the body. If this is the case then we can assume the technique was changed by Hariharananda himself as he was still present in charge and both Prajnananda & Atmananda students of his are teaching the same or so it appears

( I have no knowledge or information on what this Atmananda teaches, only speculation based on his websites descriptions which are not only close but watching his video I see the same formula being used in the sales pitch.)

It may also have been the work of Hariharananda towards the end of his time in a body. I have documentation of how Kriya was taught while Hariharananda was in the body and was younger and it is different from what is taught now in both cases the earlier and the current method are different from the spinal breathing type of Pranayama.

From what I am told Gurunath teaches a similar form of Kriya Pranayama that SRF does.

I practice that which Prajnananda teaches as I was initiated by Atmavidyanandaji who teaches as Prajnananda has said we are to be taught so the method is the same the different Kriya yogacharyas and Swamis that initiate and teach all teach the same thing.

Different people of-coarse teach with there own style and personality. Yogacharya John Thomas Lopategui is an excellent teacher I have had the pleasure of learning from and spending time with, he is truly a remarkable loving person & an excellent teacher.

I think that for many he is a good choice to get initiation from as my dear Swamaji whom initiated me is very intense and may be too foreign for some westerners. John is more how shall I say it American flavored and easier to understand. Indian accents for me sound like music and melody to my ears but others have difficulty understanding them.

I also must consider that even though it saddens me to not have met Hariharananda in person even when I lived near him over the years without knowing it in my many travels that perhaps it was not for me to learn directly from him but rather God's will that I have done as I have instead.

On the topic of technique it really is about the technique in that without technique different states of awareness are not reliably able to be entered nor are the ongoing benefits derived even after ones Kriya Session is finished taking place in the background.

There is a certain kind of momentum that Kriya builds and the effects are cumulative those who practice know this better than I may ever describe.

It is also about cultivating the capacity for love of and for God. The secret here is that just like in Kriya developing ones capacity for love of and for God is cumulative as well. You must be able to withstand the Grace of God when it descends on you and permeates your being. This is very powerful and one has to develop themselves to be a good receiver overtime ones capacity to receive this Grace increases and so does the beauty in ones life to the capacity of one to bear it. When too much is had at once a breaker kicks in and manages the flow. The secret is to Love God thats it Love, Love, Love, Love Love God the doing and the developing of capacity to do so are one.

These are the two major components to kriya first you have a reason for seeking it in the first place in my case it was my innate nature and tendencies from childhood I knew I was not with God the way I should be and so wanted to be one with God even though I could not put the yearning into words.

I would be taken to Church and I would hear about Jesus and God being described and waves of energy would break over me and I would cry for the separation of being here and not with God, it was terrible both knowing and not knowing at the same time.The agony of separation was heart rending and felt physical all I wanted to do was hold Jesus hand and walk with him and learn how to arrive at the kingdom of God.

Later I had multiple near death experiences and being the witness to many extraordinary phenomenal events as well further made me seek for answers.

I have always enjoyed a deep love and devotion to and for the formless GOD from which all originates whom has been proven to me to be real over and over again in many ways.

I am not the property of any religion however.

Without cultivating love for God Kriya can be dry and depleting. Here is a practical example: If I am practicing Kriya and the energy is weak or not flowing properly I know I am focusing on technique only.

Hariharananda always says mistake is not for mistake it is for correcting. I remember this smile and thank him with great affection and correct my mistake by loving God then all of a sudden a titanic roar can occur and the influx of energy peace joy and bliss take over and I go without breath & without thought for I know not how long nor do I care. When it is time to breath again I do and continue my practice but now everything works nicely and proper energy and bliss is present.

I also agree that obtaining Kriya knowledge actually gets people to go and become taught in person this certainly has been the case with me. I had the knowledge first and then obtained initiation afterwards.

The knowledge was good but after initiation and one on one being taught my Practices took on a whole new life. It has been the the difference between breathing stale humid air in a basement and breathing fresh cool crisp clean air on a mountaintop.

The funny thing is that I wound up using intuition to decide whom to take initiation from and prayer. I would practice Kriya and ask Lahiri Mahsaya in prayerful request to please guide me as to where to go and get initiation.

I would keep hearing go see Baba, go see Baba as a reply.

Yeah I know this sounds strange.

So I thought ok Baba is a pretty common term, maybe I should see Shibendu Lahiri after all he is the genetic Heir to Kriya. All paths stayed blocked there were many circumstances and going to see him was not the thing to do. I asked his American coordinator if people called him Baba the coordinator said sure you can call him that if you like. This was confirmation enough really.

Then I came across this old wizard looking dude on youtube talking about Kriya, he was so comical and funny and happy looking I just had to watch I thought who is this divine nut?

Turned out he captured my heart he was none other than Hariharananda. So I looked into him more and saw Prajnanandas videos and liked him also. As I was looking at the site I saw the picture of Swami Atmavidyananda and there was an immediate Magnetic Attraction to this person I felt like I knew him my whole life like he was an older brother or something. I knew right then and there I had to obtain his initiation specifically no one else would do.

So I went and got his initiation. His personality his familiar presence were exactly the way I imagined they would be which is rare in my experience usually if I think a person is a certain way, they are not.

In this case it was so and we had a very nice easy way together eye contact was all that was needed he could see I had a question and would nod to let me know he would get to it and we both understood. He would also ask me and answer me at the same time without my speaking hardly at all.

So I think that we are family in this way and this is what is wrong when most people who go to get initiation and have a null experience. I think based on my own experience that initiation must be had this way. I think that it must be not only intuitive but in the heart as well one must have a feeling for the one doing the initiation and this is difficult because these things can mislead you with a professional trixster or con artist. So you have to approach initiation with both of these things but keep your discriminating reasoning and judgmental faculties about you at the same time and guard your wallet and passions.

I can vouch for Swami Atmavidyananda & Yogacharya John Thomas Lopategui I also have great appreciation for the monastic who aided Swami Atmavidyananda in teaching us his name is Swami Prabuddhananda Giri and you will never meet a kinder more gentle disciplined soul. When he teaches you feel it in your bones and do not want to disappoint him, he has a way about him that makes you want to do your very best for yourself.

Wow I did not think I had this much to write but I guess I did. Best wishes to all and may this writing be of some help to someone somewhere. In closing I agree there are many potent techniques but one must do the work for themselves to discover which is the path for them I may only speak of my own experiences and can not speak for another.

Oh and by the way I only discovered much later everyone always affectionately referred to Hariharananda as Baba. His original students now teaching still do. So I did indeed go to see Baba without even knowing it. How strange, How wonderful.

Edited by - kriyawit on Apr 12 2013 11:40:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  2:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  2:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kriyawit,

again thank you for the detailed posting :)
quote:
It may also have been the work of Hariharananda towards the end of his time in a body. I have documentation of how Kriya was taught while Hariharananda was in the body and was younger and it is different from what is taught now in both cases the earlier and the current method are different from the spinal breathing type of Pranayama.
So you are saying that neither the first version of kriya pranayama, nor the (right now) taught kriya pranayama are similiar to spinal breathing, aka to breathing through the sushumna nadi?
quote:
From what I am told Gurunath teaches a similar form of Kriya Pranayama that SRF does.
The very first version of Yogananda, that was taught to the westeners, would breath in through sushumna and breath out at the back of the spine. A later version finetuned by Yogananda himself while he was still in the physical body, had the description of breathing in and out through the sushumna nadi.

Gurunath, as he explains, has the same kriya breath of Yogananda's kriya, that Yogananda taught in India. There is a difference between the SRF-kriya and Yogananda's kriya while being in India. But both variants do breath through the sushumna nadi.

Don't know, if you know Hans, a great kriya yogi, having practiced for only 5 years but 12-18h per day with sucessfull nirvikalpa samadhi. After having repeated nirvikalpa samadhis he started to create the homepage: www.kriyayoga.com

After some years you could find the kriya technies there, they were hidden in links behind some beautiful pictures, but due to maintanance costs of the homepage, he transformed everything into an offline-version and packed that into a torrent file that can now be downloaded from that Homepage (via torrent).

The kriya yoga of Hans is also a little different, there is no breathing through sushumna at all, but just breathing at the back of the spine. Plus the composition of his kriya is different aswell.

Many years ago this Body-mind here practiced Hans' kriya with superb results, but could not continue that practice for reasons of balance and unknowing wich practice to continue (back then it was still the testing phase =)

So we have three different types of breathing:

1. breathing up and down through sushumna
2. breathing up through sushumna, breathing down at the back of the spine
3. breathing up and down at the back of the spine

Then there are the variants of the starting and ending point of the breath, aka Perineum/Coccyx and Medulla/Kutastha/Brow/Bindu/Crown.

If you calculate, you will get xy variants of the kriya breath :D At least all do breath up and down and all have to do with the spine somehow :D

Currently this body-mind here practices Gurunath's version for some years now with very good results. Its kriya breath (shiva shakti kriya) is comparable to SBP. The other kriya elements can be read here: http://www.siddhanath.org/his-teach...inikriyayoga

As it seems, even though there are differences, the kriya techniques seem to still work with a little different focus of intensity perhaps.

So happy practicing that which works for the body-mind and lifestyle :)
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  09:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great to read about KYI methods from actual practitioner. There is an initiation ceremony and training of 1st level kriya next week in Cleveland. I am in Pittsburgh. Might be a great time for me to get a refresher in the 1st kriya techniques.
As I reported a few years ago, I became overwhelmed by the power of this technique, and stopped due to fear. I started AYP and have been practicing AYP ever since. Perhaps I have ripened to the point where I can resume KYI kriya.
Go to Top of Page

elbers

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  6:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit elbers's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also a follower of KYI and have been initiated by Swami Atmavidiyananda, like Kriyawit. Like him I can say it was a very deep, sacred experience. I have practiced the KYI methods faithfully twice a day for just over two years now and I have noticed a pronounced increase in my Bhakti (love for God). Prior to KYI I studied AYP and followed Gurunath for a year and prior to that studied Eckankar ( a Sant Mat derivative) for 25 years. The KYI path so far has been the most satisfying for me.
Go to Top of Page

mohanp71

Malaysia
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  12:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Forum members and Kriyawit,

I was recently initiated by Swami Samarpananda into KYI Kriya practice. However, there was no written material provided, so I was wondering whether anyone who has been initiated in this lineage has obtained the instructions in written form from the the organization.

Thanks.

Mohan
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  09:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000