New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  1:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
if not probable? My understanding is that suitably gifted masters have actually achieved flesh and blood immortality.

Now some may ask what the point is. Thats not my angle.

My angle is, is it possible?

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  12:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some say it is possible. So far I have not met any immortals so I am skeptical. If it is possible it is so rare as to be basically irrelivant in our daily lives. Best just to practice daily and not worry about it. Maybe within our lifetime there will be some breakthrough, anything is possible. People fly through the air, have conversations across the world,have gone to the moon. You never know what the future will bring....
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  05:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its said that master babaji has an inmortal body achieved by him during his physical-mortal live many centuries ago.Living in silence between us (with a few disciples) in the himalayas (near bradinath i think)guiding us and giving his blessings to the humanity.

This is an example.

Edited by - miguel on Apr 21 2011 05:15:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  05:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mahabaratara
Thats not my angle.

If you can turn your angle and become the very light which projects this physical world, yes.

Here is the chapter:

Babaji, the Yogi of Modern India
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Autob...i/Chapter_33

The next ones are quite interesting as well.

Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  5:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Some say it is possible. So far I have not met any immortals so I am skeptical. If it is possible it is so rare as to be basically irrelivant in our daily lives. Best just to practice daily and not worry about it. Maybe within our lifetime there will be some breakthrough, anything is possible. People fly through the air, have conversations across the world,have gone to the moon. You never know what the future will bring....

I practice daily without ego of such attainment, truly. But I do believe that advanced practices and their side effects (eg kechari and the nectar) HAVE to aid longevity.
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  5:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by miguel

Its said that master babaji has an inmortal body achieved by him during his physical-mortal live many centuries ago.Living in silence between us (with a few disciples) in the himalayas (near bradinath i think)guiding us and giving his blessings to the humanity.

This is an example.

His example is extreme.

See reply below.
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  5:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:
Thats not my angle.

If you can turn your angle and become the very light which projects this physical world, yes.

Here is the chapter:

Babaji, the Yogi of Modern India
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Autob...i/Chapter_33

The next ones are quite interesting as well.

Yes this is the master I speak of.

I am very drawn to this personage. I cant say why specifically but I believe we may have a shared past. I have read most of the books written by the masters written in the chapter. I guess Yukteswar would have been my master now as I have a "western" mind thats highly analytical and intellectual.

These guys meditated for hours on end, just think how much purification was going on!

I am slowly following in these giants footsteps.

As an ant!

Go to Top of Page

davidg

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  5:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
'Your mind is omnipotent. It is capable of accomplishing everything. As you imagine
within your mind, so things happen forthwith. Whatever is intensely thought by your mind, that
comes to be materialized and effected.'

a quote from.....

http://www.dlshq.org/download/thought_power.pdf

very thought provoking stuff.
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  6:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I have come across that book/pdf before but never fully read it.

In a totally left field manoeuvre I came across a free book/link to immortality.

The link is at the bottom, you do have to sign up mind.

http://www.avatarbabaji.com/

Edited by - mahabaratara on Apr 21 2011 6:27:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  02:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am very drawn to this personage. I cant say why specifically but I believe we may have a shared past.

Why not contact/call him directly and ask him yourself?

You know when Babaji and Yukteshwarji called their beloved disciples, both Lahiri Mahasaya and Yogananda didn't know that they were their masters in the past.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  6:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to tell what is true about Babaji and what isn't. He is so well known that hundreds of people claim to be in his lineage, or know stories about him, or actually be him. There are many people around the world named Babaji who are gurus. So if you try to follow him, you are in for a whole lot of made up fables, burying a little bit of truth somewhere. . .
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  6:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But about immortality: Why be anxious to hold on to this body? You can easily have another one. And the exciting thing is - there are many other realities besides this one. Scientists are beginning to discover this now, especially in sub-atomic physics. The fact that there must be many other dimensions that we are not aware of.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  12:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mahabaratara,

Short Answer: No.

The main problem is in the question itself. Asking if physical immortality is possible is like asking if motionless waves are possible, or if dry water is possible, and so on.

Physical and Immortal are mutually exclusive terms.

The good news is: our true nature is ever, already eternal / immortal.

Energy is the activity of our true nature.

Matter - physical form - is energy, perceived as a static condensation, but really still process (as, per Etherfish's comment, atomic and sub-atomic physics indicate).

At the quantum level, matter winks in and out of existence billions of times per second -- oscillation so rapid that it seems solid, to human perception.

Now, relative immortality (i.e. Babaji, etc.), per other posts in this thread, may well be possible; as Nisargadatta Maharaj pointed out repeatedly: "anything is possible with training".

However, my sense of it, based on both experience and observation, is: the more in-touch with our own true nature (i.e. changeless awareness, and the changing happening within it) we become, the less interest we have in such things.

Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  1:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by miguel

This is an example.

the legend of babaji is interesting.. i still think about the mountain climber story each time i find myself climbing mountains.. never met him (babaji) though, not even in dreams
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  9:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't exactly what you're asking, but scientific progress is showing us that we may be close to physical immortality without the explicit help of Yoga. http://www.ted.com/talks/aubrey_de_...d_aging.html

The above link raises some interesting questions. I predict/assume that the potential new longevity means that a larger majority of humans would be looking at awakening in one lifetime.

Of course, what we truly are is immortal already, nothing needs to be done to become immortal.
Go to Top of Page

nodoubt

India
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  12:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Earth is not immortal.
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nodoubt

Earth is not immortal.

The atoms we are constructed from are.
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  6:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We are infinite made finite.

Then the reverse happens.

Evolution/Devolution/Revolution.

We will live for centuries.
Go to Top of Page

harsharan000

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  6:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Avatars of god Vishnu, and so many others have been coming since ages, and all had to go from here. It is law of nature, anybody born from a mother`s womb, must die. We can prolong our lives with pranayam and yoga up to an extent. According to the karma theory, first our destiny is fashioned, then we are born and go through it...it is like when a film is made, first the shooting is done, then when finished, only then it is projected on a screen, which means it has a begining and an end. On the other hand, all the creation, inclusively our bodies are made of the five elements(earth, water, air, fire and ether), which are transient and perishable, so naturally, we have to go through this phase of changing the dresses, which we get just to settle our accounts of karmas, from some we have to take, and yet to others we have to give. And this is just evolution. Evolution, of growing in sprituality and maturity at the same time. As someone has said, we are spiritual beings going through human experience.

So if our nature and essence is spiiritual, why do we or should we remain away from our source, our origin? Isn´t this antinatural? The more time we remain away, the more chances we give ourselves, to be lost in the craetion. But by His grace, we have been given this unvaluable chance of human life to go back and merge, once and forever, in Him.

Edited by - harsharan000 on Jul 08 2011 4:56:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  6:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Science is learning a lot about how the body works, and it looks like we were built to live to about 120 years old.

But as Carlos Castaneda said; "Death is the greatest adventure of all".
Go to Top of Page

harsharan000

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2011 :  7:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Since creation has come into existence, parlays(dissolutions) and mahaparlays(grandissolutions) have ocurred uncountable times, so many Brahmas, Vishnus and Shivas hace come and gone. In our hindu holy scriptures we can find and see that even these gods with a very long span of life, also have a beginning and an end... so what to say about us, on this physicall level. Different spans of life can be better understood and viewed, taking in accounts of the diiferent periods of history, of the so well known yugas : Sat Yuga, Treat Yuga, Dwapur Yuga, and now Kalyuga, even from internet you can get information about these periods of times, if we do not have a chance to get a book or a person who can talk us about these matters, but the fact behind all this is that all creation from this material and physicall plane, crossing the astral plane up to the causal region, all is perishable.

Edited by - harsharan000 on Jul 07 2011 4:27:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  2:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi mahabaratara...it is called kaya siddhi...but it is to be shunned like all siddhis...siddhis are traps.
Go to Top of Page

harsharan000

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  4:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So in the end...if it is a trap, it means it is false, or better said transient, and transient is the opposite of eternal.
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  6:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wop bop aloom op a wop bam boom....the teeth of a board grow hair.
Go to Top of Page

harsharan000

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  10:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems even with the examples from the history we do not learn. We very well know Prahlad`s story, of how his father Harnakash, after doing a long time of meditation, he asked the boon for inmortality, but then not satisfied with Shiva`s answer, he cleverly asked for not to die morning or night, inside the house nor outside, neither killed by man nor beast, neither heat nor the cold be the causes for his death. And we all know how he became a evil doer, and so he died a miserable death.
Or even Ravana..... so these rascals after doing so much of "tap", for thousands of years......could not become righteouss. How can we expect to be better or different than them?

It is not normal to desire to be eternal in the gross body, it only shows our lack of understnding, or our level of inmaturity.

If He is spirit, and our souls are His sparks, or He is our source of real happiness, our destiny, our goal.... why would we like to remain away from Him? We could never ever merge in Him if the eternity of the physicall body was possible...Thank God, He is the doer of everything and not we....otherwise all would be at best, only disasters, corruption and ignorance.

Edited by - harsharan000 on Jul 08 2011 10:39:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  07:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
apart from mahaavatar babaji there is one more person from south india who has done it. His name is Ramalingam who is called ramalinga adigalar who went disappeared from the meditating room and turned to light being.

The VALLALAR(he is otherwise called by this name) was the one who affirmed openly and clearly in an unmistakable language the deathlessness of his body which he attained by the power of what he called "Arut Perum Joti", the Vast Grace-Light of the Divine which he identified as the Truth-Light of Knowledge, Satya Jnana Joti.

HE who put before the people DEATHLESSNESS of body as an essential part of the realisation of the One blissful Divine. A saint whose very soul-stuff was made of infinite love and compassion, a sage of Truth - consciousness who possessed the divine knowledge and science of deathlessness of body and attained its deathless transformation along with the self creative power of creating all substances of whatever kind including bodily substances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramalinga_Swamigal

Love n Light

Edited by - vijikr on Jul 16 2011 07:21:09 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000