Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taopol

France
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  12:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I would like to know more about the AYAM mantra. where does it come from ? from what tradition. How come I had never heard of it before reading Yogani. How does it compare to OM MANI PADME HUM, OM NAMAH SHIVAYA, HAMSA, SOHAM, or the HESYCHAST tradition ?
To be honest, I am a bit worried about its 'legitimity' and reading "DM pathway to personal freedom" didn't help, because there is no mention of a lineage or a tradition.

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  12:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This mantra is from the Vedanta tradition, and it is found as a root mantra in Rig Veda. It's a 100% "legit" mantra. I studied Sanskrit and was trained as a meditation teacher by the late Maharishi Mahesh Yogi--it's one of the mantras we use in TM, in fact! Any mantra with "Om" in it should be used with EXTREME caution, because the syllable "Om" is generally associated with a reclusive lifestyle and is best reserved for monks, sadhus and ascetics. Stop your worrying and find the silence...
Michael
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  08:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Michael, good to know. I wonder why Yogani chose not to mention the origins of ayam anywhere. Maybe he wants to keep the possibility open for better future connection of yogic techniques to science, as opposed by the somewhat "heavy" heritage of the Traditions and our fixation onto them?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  10:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

It should be mentioned that AYP is an experience-based system of practices, and not lineage-based. So attempting to validate (or invalidate) AYP on the basis of any particular lineage is not going to yield anything conclusive. Much better to try the practices and see how they work in daily life. By now, many have been doing that, and so far (since 2003) we have seen good results.

Because we are not tied to any fixed body of knowledge, practitioners are able to make adjustments as necessary based on "causes and effects." In that, the AYP open source knowledge-base (lessons, books, forums) serves as a "baseline system" and "safe harbor" that can be used by anyone to whatever degree desired.

So, yes, AYP is essentially science-based, and this opens the door for refinements and improvements as we move through changing times and circumstances. On that front, the ongoing evolution of "self-pacing" has been a huge advance, enabling anyone to take on powerful practices and optimize them on the individual level without fear of running too far astray. The result has been more progress with fewer mishaps.

As they say, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

The guru is in you.

PS: I was not aware that I AM (AYAM) is also a TM mantra. It was selected for its universal vibrational qualities in the nervous system, which can be directly experienced when ecstatic conductivity has awakened and matured. It makes sense that versions of the same sound can be found throughout the traditions, because the cause and effect is the same everywhere. It supports the contention that the center of all spiritual progress is in each human nervous system, not in any particular body of knowledge, including this one. Bodies of knowledge are aids to help us accelerate the process of our inner evolution. They are not the thing itself.

Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  11:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  4:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Yogani!
Tantra - the cult of the Feminine by André van Lysebeth presented some evidence of that. He says the vibrational qualities were used long before the large religious systems took shape.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  10:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
AMEN , Yogani!!!

Edited by - Akasha on Apr 09 2011 10:22:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  11:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There does'nt seem much to differentiate the mantra used in AYP "deep meditation" and that of transcendental meditation(TM) based on Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The difference is that slight differences were doled out based on personality,gender and so on.The doling out even might have seemed quite arbitrary. The universality of DM it would appear to be based on the scientific properties of the mantra,i.e sound ayam/Iam as it resonates within the central nervous system.There is a curious thing that goes on which is best found out by oneself through practice.It essentiallly sound yoga though within the landscape of vibration.Consciousness affects matter & vv. Perhaps the MahiriSHI Mahesh Yogi got it in a vision, perhaps spent sometime in solitude in a cave, so i might have read somewhere.Who Knows. The greatest scripture or divine authority is your own experience.

Edited by - Akasha on Apr 09 2011 11:14:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

UK_Sadhu

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  4:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all & I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but is it ok to chant the mantra out loud for a minute or two & then go inward? I seem to get a stronger sense of the vibration in this way.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello UK Sadhu,
I dont think it will do any harm to say the mantra aloud a few times,till you get used to DM. I used to begin with a clear pronounciation - and then let it get subtle. It helped me in the beginning. After a while you will not find the need to say the mantra aloud....
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  3:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
UK_Sadhu,
In fact, it is very definitely NOT a good idea to chant the mantra out loud at any time. Being a vehicle for INWARD movement of consciousness, bringing it outward is contrary to its use and mechanics. Mental repetition is not a clear pronunciation, but only a faint or vague idea...
Michael
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  4:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadhu & Mikkiji,
IMO, saying it loud tends to make the activity more rajasic/over-active whereas you need to get it sattvic, a minimum of activity, an almost "inactive activity" ("favoring" the mantra).
Also, it's instrumental to keep the meditation as free as possible from external associations (even to things like singing it), to keep the mind from excessive wandering around during meditation.
Go to Top of Page

UK_Sadhu

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  5:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies guys, interesting range of opinions!
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I AM, aside from having vibrational qualities focuses attention internally. Just saying I AM will turn attention inward and toward the source. This has been my experience. The words uttered mentally immediately bring me to silence.

My awakening to pure consciousness came while in medition when a certain spiritual adept said "I AM" and boom! That's all it took.

Additionally it's very important to surrender to a mantra and stick to that mantra. Minds will do anything to prevent one from reaching self-realization, however minds are very habit forming. If you stick to a certain mantra and create a habit out of utterining it, the mind through it's power of forming habits, has just assisted you in creating a wonderful anchor for you in which you can transcend personal identity and self-referal. Whenever engaged in a mantra your not engaged in your "story" and your are overriding the mechanicality of your story, so to speak.

Pick something and stick with it. IMO there isn't a more powerful or potent mantra then I AM. I AM I AM I AM I AM I AM... In love with the I AM :)

For what it's worth I'm never seen a phrase or mantra that exists as universally across all boarders.

Christianity--- I Am that I AM.... Be still and know that I AM god. Ramana once said that the entire teachings of Christianity can be summed up in those two phrases.

Advaita Vedanta--- Nisargadatta's only practice was to find, come into and stay that the "I AM". Believe Ramana mentioned sitting with the sense of I AMness. Ramana also talked about cosntantly repeating "I" and noticing the sense of "I". Robert Adams, Ed Muzika, Anadi, Swami G and countless others all mention abiding in the sense of I AM or using I AM as a mantra.

Zen/Neo-Advaitists- across the board seemingly, all speak of the I AM in high regard. From Wilber to Adyashanti.

Gurdjieff--- What he coined "the fourth way" which was a combination of ancient esoteric traditions and sufism when he studied in the middle east. He too often spoke of the I AM. Sitting with the I AM.

Yoga--- Apparently I AM has certain potent vibrational qualities. Other members on this board might have more input about this.

Many new age paths--- "I AM" temple(St. Germain)and others I have come across.

Consistently this "I AM" keeps popping up across the board. Stick with it and you will see its potency.

Understand fully your anxiety about the situation. Minds do that. The mind will always look for a way out, look to question, look to jeopordize, look for a loophole in the sadhana to create doubt. Ultimately you wil have to surrender to the practice and try it for yourself. After that, the actual experience will be the incentive you were looking for. That's when you fly in your sadhana.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  6:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How would a subtle or fuzzy pronunciation of I am sound like I wonder!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  7:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's like hearing somebody speak from a distance, or from another room in the house - you can hear the modulation of sound, but can't make out the exact words.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  04:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
or you can no longer hear it at all but you feel like water is dripping in bucket filled to the brim. You are the bucket full of water...'AYAM' is the drop

Sey
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2014 :  4:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sey and blueraincoat for those thoughts. Since then the silence has deepened a little. Thanks a bunch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000