Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The I Am mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  10:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am was hoping to know whether the mantra, "I AM" has a long history of use in itself or if Yogani came up with or developed it on his own. Anyone know?

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  4:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by psychicexplorer

I am was hoping to know whether the mantra, "I AM" has a long history of use in itself or if Yogani came up with or developed it on his own. Anyone know?

I guess it has a long history.

This second method comes from the Sufi tradition, from Islam. They worked on it very deeply. Remember "I am" -- whatsoever you are doing. You are drinking water, you are eating your food -- remember, "I am." Go on eating and go on remembering, "I am, I am." Do not forget it! It is difficult because you already think that you know you are, so what is the need to go on remembering this? You never remember it, but it is a very, very potential technique.
~The Book of Secrets - OSHO

Go to Top of Page

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  9:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:

I guess it has a long history.

This second method comes from the Sufi tradition, from Islam. They worked on it very deeply. Remember "I am" -- whatsoever you are doing. You are drinking water, you are eating your food -- remember, "I am." Go on eating and go on remembering, "I am, I am." Do not forget it! It is difficult because you already think that you know you are, so what is the need to go on remembering this? You never remember it, but it is a very, very potential technique.
~The Book of Secrets - OSHO

I am curious , do you happen to know where in the Book of Secrets that passage was from? I looked for it myself and found this passage: "Don't go on repeating. This is not a mantra, you are not to repeat "I am existing, I am existing." If you repeat this you will fall asleep, you will become self-hypnotized."
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  9:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The mantra is designed by the vibrations it embodies, not by the meaning of the words. The meaning of the words in english is not to be concentrated on as you meditate. Any sounds you make can have meaning in some language, but these sounds are not chosen by their meaning.
Mantra meditation is meant to quiet the mind so that the silence within us can be reached. This is different from concentrating on an idea made of words.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am curious , do you happen to know where in the Book of Secrets that passage was from? I looked for it myself and found this passage: "Don't go on repeating. This is not a mantra, you are not to repeat "I am existing, I am existing." If you repeat this you will fall asleep, you will become self-hypnotized."

Its in Chapter 6.

This is the mechanism: the dream is felt as reality because you are missing the selfremembering; you are missing "I am." If there is no remembering of oneself, then the dream becomes reality. If there is the remembering of oneself, then reality, the so-called reality, becomes just a dream.

This is the difference between dreaming and reality. For a meditative mind, or for the science of meditation, this is the only difference. If you are, then the whole reality is just a dream. If you are not, then the dreaming becomes reality.
Nagarjuna says, "Now I am, for the world is not. While I was not, the world was. Only one can exist." That doesn't mean that the world has disappeared. Nagarjuna is not talking about this world, he is talking about the world of dreaming. Either you can be or the dreams can be -- both cannot be.

So the first step will be to continue remembering "I am" constantly; simply, "I am." Do not say "Ram," do not say "Shyam." Do not use any name, because you are not that. Simply use, "I am." Try it in any activity and then feel it. The more real you become inside, the more unreal becomes the surrounding world.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000