Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Seat of the Atman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AustrianYogi

Austria
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  11:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste! The Atman is described in yogic literatur as formles, identical with Brahman (relatiónship drop/ocean) and so on. The following questions arise:

1) Concerning the seat of the Atman,various places are discussed: above the crown chakra (Choa Kok Sui), crown chakra (many), ajna (many), spiritual heart (between the nipples; variation:hrit-chakra), spiritual heart as innermost self, abdomen, etc... How do these teachings and opinions fit togehter?

2) How can something without form, size, shape have a "seat"?

Thank you for answering.

Andreas, Vienna, Austria

Edited by - AustrianYogi on Mar 05 2011 08:12:37 AM

showup

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit showup's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Brahman is omnipresence. In our body Brahman plays the role of Atman. Because of the omnipresence Atman dose not have a seat.
Go to Top of Page

AustrianYogi

Austria
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  02:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As said in 2): Brahman is everywhere, but why are given several seats of the atman by so many authors ...
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  02:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its because through those "seats" comes the realisation that atman has no seat..
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  05:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AustrianYogi

As said in 2): Brahman is everywhere, but why are given several seats of the atman by so many authors ...

Atman travels from lower chakras/seats to upper until it finally merges with Brahman.

Just as a seed sprouts, becomes plant and then blooms into a flower. So does the journey of Atman.

The body/world is but just a vessel.

A yogi knows where exactly is the seat of his Atman.

Knowledge/Bhakti/Meditatation/Awareness are the foods for Atman to grow/nourish.

Go to Top of Page

AustrianYogi

Austria
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  05:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my teachers said:"You can even meditate on your little finger to become enlightend." Nevertheless in the tradition represented by this teacher, adherents meditate on the crown, as I myself do (Please, I do not want to engage now in discussions about premature crown opening !). So why seem some places in the body (ajna, crown, anahata) more adequate for meditation than others? Why do we find in countless writings that the crown is the seat of consciousness beyond form. (They do not write that the base chakra is the seat of pure consciousness. Of course I am aware that everything is an expression of pure consciousness, but its seat is given in the crown.)
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  06:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Austrian Yogi

I have enjoyed reflecting on your question. As you are probably aware, Yogani defines the term "atman" like this: "The immortal soul of a human being. The divine Self that exists in every person. Upon beginning meditation, it is first experienced as stillness, peaceful inner silence, and, later, as ecstatic bliss and outpouring divine love."

He does not say where the "seat" of the immortal soul is, but it is implied in his definition when one understands the AYP paradigm. The "seat" of the soul -- the central place where the Atman becomes manifest as spiritual experience -- is the human nervous system. In AYP we focus on the root to brow, or later, the root to crown channel in the process of purifying our nervous system.

Bewell

PS On further web-searching of aypsite, I have found that Yogani addressed a question very similar to yours in the lovely month of March a year ago:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=7489#66517

Edited by - bewell on Mar 05 2011 06:48:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

AustrianYogi

Austria
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bewell! Yes the Spiritual Heart ... Paramahamsa Nityananda in his Chidakasha Gita writes that the Spiritual Heart is in the head (really the head - not a "head" in the chest ).

I always wondered about reading that the anandamaya kosha should be located in the anahata center (frontal aspect), because it is a low center and anandamaya kosha = causal body is most fine (or subtle).

I always wonder, why fully realized masters do not go as far as possible with their writngs, as far as it is possible by means of intellect; in my opinion they sometimes create more confusion than knwoledge for still unenlightened people like me ...

Edited by - AustrianYogi on Mar 05 2011 10:49:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

AustrianYogi

Austria
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  11:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm .. the Atman, a traveller, maybe even a tourist! If Atman is - fundamentally - Brahman, so it will be omipresent and will not have to travel at all ?!

Edited by - AustrianYogi on Mar 05 2011 11:04:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  1:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hmmm .. the Atman, a traveller, maybe even a tourist! If Atman is - fundamentally - Brahman, so it will be omipresent and will not have to travel at all ?!

Exactly.

It does not.

You can consider for example Atman as a river and Brahman as the ocean.

Fundamentally, water.

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  9:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I always wonder, why fully realized masters do not go as far as possible with their writngs, as far as it is possible by means of intellect; in my opinion they sometimes create more confusion than knwoledge for still unenlightened people like me ...

Yogani goes perhaps a bit farther here:

"By the way, neuro-biologically speaking, the jivan mukti/christ stage corresponds with the union of inner silence and ecstatic conductivity evolving up from everywhere in the body, reaching maturity in the head, and then migrating back down into the heart where the spiritual rebirth occurs. So the heart is where we will end up with all this. The heart is the final home of our enlightenment in this body, with the neuro-biology of the whole body supporting that. There is much to do in setting the stage for this final outcome, and that is what AYP is about."
http://www.aypsite.org/274.html

But beware of intellectual identification with the concepts apart from practices and experience. Yogani explains,

"...the cognition of "enlightenment" may be the greatest illusion of them all. That helps explain the failures of so-called "enlightened" people. It seems the minute we put on the label, it is no longer that. It is much simpler than that, I think… Joy, peace, love, compassion, energy, creativity, serving the evolutionary flow of life... These are qualities that really do emerge in people who regularly practice effective spiritual methods – deep meditation, spinal breathing, etc. "

http://www.aypsite.com/283.html

Edited by - bewell on Mar 05 2011 9:29:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  9:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

...reaching maturity in the head, and then migrating back down into the heart where the spiritual rebirth occurs. So the heart is where we will end up with all this. The heart is the final home of our enlightenment in this body...

Thank you for this, my friend Be

It makes me curious. Because I feel that my heart has already opened months ago, and the crown is only now opening (and not complete yet). I've heard many others say that the heart is the last to open. So this all makes me question where I really am.

Not that it matters. The Atman can seat itself wherever it wishes.

Love Love Love [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  10:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cosmic

Your observations make me laugh with joy... also there is a surprising warmth in my whole upper-body. I am wondering about cause and effect: Maybe this surprising response is from you, maybe it is from that AYP Navi Kriya I was playing with a half-hour ago, or probably some mix of the two.

Bewell

Edited by - bewell on Mar 05 2011 10:32:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  10:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Be

I don't know anymore. There seems to be some energetic give-and-take between yogic friends. Which I'm becoming more aware of, but have no control over. Maybe you are just receiving something you once "gave"

Love [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  04:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic
There seems to be some energetic give-and-take between yogic friends. Which I'm becoming more aware of, but have no control over. Maybe you are just receiving something you once "gave"

Seems so
Go to Top of Page

AustrianYogi

Austria
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  03:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Atma Namaste! The game seems to be over, so to all: Thank you very much for your writings, ideas, contributions ...
ay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000