AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Body state in the morning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  08:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody,

I do Sun Salutation before DM. In mornings, I'm not able to touch the ground in "Head to knees" position but at nights, I am. So I just wanted to ask why there is this difference and if this is a common experience? Isn't body supposed to be more relaxed in morning and tensed in night?
Thank you

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  08:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I experience this too.

Its true that muscles are more relaxed in the morning, however (I think) the muscles stretch better when they are heated up, and all the activity of the day heats up your muscles and hence you feel more flexible during the afternoon practice than the morning one.

Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  09:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thank you Shanti. I was thinking something is wrong with my sleep so i wakes up tensed:)
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  09:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kaserdar

This has been my experience as well.

There may be a few different factors coming into play here from my experience, but a major one is likely the quality of mattress you are sleeping on at night. It was for me anyway. My wife and I replaced our mattress at the beginning of December and I have noticed a drastic increase in my morning flexibility since then. I'm still nowhere near as flexible first thing in the morning as I am in the evening though.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Carson,
I'm moving in a new flat so I will definitely consider a buying a good mattress then:)
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  10:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Its true that muscles are more relaxed in the morning, however (I think) the muscles stretch better when they are heated up, and all the activity of the day heats up your muscles and hence you feel more flexible during the afternoon practice than the morning one.

What she said

When I took hatha classes, I also found morning classes more difficult than evening classes. I think part of it is also because your body has been laying in bed all night and becomes somewhat stiff.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson & Kaserdar,
practically everybody is stiffer in the morning - body and mind. That's what makes morning the best time for yoga practices. The practices work deeper then - body and mind, whereas in the evening, you can't play with, or confront, a rigidity that's no longer there.
Another important plus of a morning practice is empty stomach, bladder, and bowels.
Apart from practical everyday reasons, beginners like evening classes because it feels comfortable and safe, but it's worthwhile to complement the evenings with at least a minimum of morning practice.
My 2 Cents
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  4:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As everyone has noted, this is completely normal and logical.
Go to Top of Page

Hussey01

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  07:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think in such situation there are some effecting factors like mattress.I have experienced it but never take it serious , However it is cool to know.Shanti has also good idea to share.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  12:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HathaTeacher...very good explananation....morning practice is the best...and when u notice u are stiff and ur unhappy about it..then it is time to work on your mental acrobactics....sit in DM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000