Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 words from the fringe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  2:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

i caught a notion

that no outward motion

is necessary

but here's one
for fun

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  6:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Alan,

thanks for the inspired poem.

Let me give one interpretation. By the way, I don't see any particular interpretation of a poem of this kind as being valid, or invalid, even if it was intended or not intended by the poet. Rather, some of the best of poems come from a place of depth from which several interpretations can follow.

" I caught a notion that no outward motion is necessary " -- this is from the perspective of the transcending principle, or 'Shiva' energy. The sense that all the Self needs is within the Self; the abidance in completeness beyond Form.

"But here's one [outward motion] for fun" -- the perspective producing the outward motion is Shakti energy, or the energy of Creation. Creation is done for fun.

In the empty void, the single god Shakti-Shiva recites the poem, and that creates the Universe. When saying 'Here's one for fun', Shakti-Shiva blows a bubble, and that is the Universe.

Of course, the 'one for fun' can mean the poem itself. So on one level, it is the writing of a human poet who experiences two currents, Shiva (transcendent) and Shakti (creational), and produces one (poem) for fun. So the poem (child) is the result of love-making between Shakti and Shiva within the poet.

And yet ... the poem could have an alternative title, 'On peeing against the wall', which gives a nice, alternative, irreverent interpretation.

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Mar 15 2006 6:28:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  7:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you D. that says it very nicely, although i find beauty on peeing against the wall ;0)
-a
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  11:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK here's an example of how much smarter David is than me.

I thought it meant that meditation is the most important thing, but he's making a motion that we should have physical fun too.

Which I completely agreed with. The two most important things in my life.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  01:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the sufis are right and we should all be dancing.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  09:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim said:
Maybe the sufis are right and we should all be dancing.

-ditto-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000