AYPsite.org Forum
 Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Compassion: By-product or foundation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2010 :  2:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Moderator Note: For better placement, the topic split from here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=2

quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

Dalai Lama's message on Christmas Eve

"My basic belief is that first you need to realize the usefulness of compassion, that's the key factor. Once you accept the fact that compassion is not something childish or sentimental, once you realize that compassion is something really worthwhile and realize its deeper value, then you immediately develop an attraction towards it, a willingness to cultivate it."

For me, that is essence of all spiritual practices.

I don't think so Steven. I see compassion as a by-product of liberation, which is the real essence of all spiritual practices in my opinion.

I don't mean to belittle compassion by calling it a by-product, however. Compassion, the mature/liberated response to suffering in others, is our natural behavior. Liberation doesn't arrive by itself, but with faith hope love temperance and compassion!

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 02 2011 7:03:28 PM

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  01:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tonightsthenight, sorry I didn't respond sooner. You make a good point, but I don't think you can obtain Liberation without compassion as the foundation to get you there. Hope you have a happy new year.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  4:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

Hi Tonightsthenight, sorry I didn't respond sooner. You make a good point, but I don't think you can obtain Liberation without compassion as the foundation to get you there. Hope you have a happy new year.

That doesn't fit with my experience, but so what

In my experience compassion arrives automatically. Compassion is an expression, liberation is a state of being.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  7:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[i]Originally posted by
That doesn't fit with my experience, but so what

I do not know where I am in the debate above, nor do I much care. We each have our own interpretation and experience. Nevertheless, the discussion got me wondering what Yogani teaches about how best to relate to feelings of compassion. I examined the theme in Lesson 122 - Q&A – Witnessing.

Yogani writes: "Inner silence is an endless well of love and compassion, and moves us naturally to engage in the ecstatic processes in the body, and in loving service to others. We can even get angry and cry in the witnessing state... you can transform emotion easily into bhakti in the witnessing state, if you choose to. If you can, cultivate it. Then you will find it easy to do something -- some daily practices, some service, doing something for someone else."
http://www.aypsite.org/122.html

That teaching is relevant and resonant for me: I have witnessed my body/mind in some solitary, but socially engaged drama of anger and tears quite recently. I am inspired by Yogani's invitation to "cultivate it" -- to "transform that emotion into bhakti."

Edited by - bewell on Jan 03 2011 06:50:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  9:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i agree bewell that it doesn't really matter.

in the end, it's a matter of perspective, and i certainly don't claim a superior perspective to others here.

the only thing i'd really add, is that i think it's prudent to seek liberation first, because you can't fully express compassion without liberation
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  1:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the the Buddhas 12 ignorance factors is even love itself; or really the striving for more; the pitying kind of love. That instead of the above, you have unconditional love you have love for fully embracing the moment; seeing this moment for what it is; being unconditional towards this moment.

Go to Top of Page

B1-66ER

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  2:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

i agree bewell that it doesn't really matter.

in the end, it's a matter of perspective, and i certainly don't claim a superior perspective to others here.

the only thing i'd really add, is that i think it's prudent to seek liberation first, because you can't fully express compassion without liberation

On the path to liberation prudence is among the first things to be left behind. You shouldn't be seeking either or. Liberation is not the goal because there is no goal. Compassion is not the goal because there is no goal. "Do everything you do but offer the fruits of your action to me." -B. Gita Compassion and liberation are both fruits to be renounced as offerings to the one for whom the heart burns with devotion. Liberation can not be found looking for it. Compassion can not be taught only understood. It is the fire in which the self is burned until all that remains is the Truth.
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  4:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
on this easter day i think it is important to fully understand what compassion is. it is to bear the suffering of others, to take it away.

the mechanics of this are quite simple, to feel emotional suffering of others and to offer it to the higher self or deity in order for that to dissolve.

chenresig om mani padme hum does this for emotional suffering, medicine buddha does this for physical suffering, this is relative boddhicitta.

to feel sorry for anothers suffering is to double up the suffering, it is pointless.

but through skilful means one can manipulate this sorrow into a practice which encourages the desire to take away suffering, the only way this can be done is through comprehensive spiritual practice.

the one who takes most suffering away is the one who is liberated, yet seeking liberation itself is not the answer.

The Dalai Lama encouraging the mechanism of compassion is the expression of a liberated mans desire to end suffering through teaching.

joe
Go to Top of Page

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  03:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JosephUK,

I think that the compassion you describe is the christian form in which one great hero die for us all, taking away sins.

The genuine compassion imho is not emotional suffering, but genuine love for others: you do not actually suffer in yourself when you see someone, but your unconditional love gives birth to the desire to help and you find pleasure in helping.

This is my opinion. Hope to be not too far from the truth.
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2013 :  10:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the compassion you describe is the christian form in which one great hero die for us all, taking away sins.

Hi Vimala,

from my experience you may find that compassion becomes a natural by product of your practices, for me it came after i began to practice samyama, it was divine love moving outwards and suffering going into an emptiness of inner silence within me.

The Christian compassion i believe can be achieved by anyone who is on the path of bearing the karmas of others in order to relieve suffering but i don't know the mechanism or mantra for that. You may have heard of enlightened beings who instead of healing others specifically they begin to absorb the physical emotional suffering of others and die as a result (but because there personal burden was so light they are able to help greatly)

When i practice compassion it does not create suffering for me but rather i become aware of my or others suffering and i give it to my higher self and thus it is relieved.

unconditional love is very helpful which can comfort others and when directed inwardly to the ego can turn to bhakti which will purify steadily our egos. Our desire to help is our karma yoga i.e. doing good for others. But what mechanism do we choose to take away the suffering? It can be very practical i.e. putting a bandage on the wound or buying the starving person a sandwhich, but when it comes to things like grief and sadness how do we take the suffering away?

I hope this helps to clarify what i mean by compassion :)

joe
Go to Top of Page

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  08:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000