Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 A lesson in letting go
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  10:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been reading to Amrita from a collection of books, called ValueTales, that I myself poured over as a child.

The one we started tonight is called the value of honesty and is the story of Confucius. In it he is teaching some young boys and uses this as a lesson. It's a simple story but it resonated with me so I thought I would share.

quote:
...he held a vase up in one hand so that all the boys could see it. In the other hand he had an apple. As the students watched, he dropped the apple into the vase and put the vase on the ground.

"The boy who can get the apple out of the vase may eat the apple." He said

One of the boys was quite hungry, and he hurried forward and put his hand into the narrow neck of the vase. He seized the apple and tried to pull it out, but he couldn't.

"My hand is stuck!" He cried

"You cannot get the apple out unless you let go of it," said Confucius

The boy did not want to let go of the apple, but at last he did. He took his hand out of the vase and looked puzzled.

Confucius picked the vase off the ground and turned it upside down. The apple fell into his hand. The boys all laughed. It was so simple.

"But not as simple as it looks," said Confucius, holding up the apple. "It is often difficult to let go of a thing. But if you see that by holding on to a thing you are keeping yourself from getting what you want, then you should let go.

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  11:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LucienneK,
This story really resonates with me right now..so clever yet simple. Thanks for sharing
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  08:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love it!!!

Thanks Luci!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000