Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Need suggestions on exercise routine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  2:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Not sure if anybody else has this problem, but I have no time to exercise. I do my AYP routine in the morning before the kids are awake. The only additional thing I do in the morning is Surya Namaskar. After that, between home, work, kids I don't have a single minute to spare. Yes at work I am sitting all day, then at home I am standing while cooking and cleaning, in the car sitting and driving between various kids practices, homework with kids..sitting down, dinner, cleanup....as you see I don't get any exercise. How do I fit exercise into my day..something quick and effective..any suggestions?

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 06 2007 9:03:56 PM

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti

What about weekends?
You need a FUN exercise....something that will motivate you during the week. What are your previous favorites?

Personally I swim. I love swimming. My children are active handball players. When they have their training I will swim (the hall contains both swimmingpool and game halls).

What do you do after you have taken your kids to an acticity? Could you exercise while you wait for them?

I walk every day. Usually in the morning before work (20-30 min). Then about 40 min in the evening. Just simple look-at-the-trees-and ground-and air walk. (Of course - sometimes it turns into "dog-meets-other-dog-and-bang"-walk)

Is it possible for you to take a walk during lunch?

May all your Nows be Here
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  2:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
At work I will put in 10 min of Qi-gong. Have you tried it?
What do you mean with "effective"? What is your expectation; your primary motivation for doing it?

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  3:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
>> The only additional thing I do in the morning is Surya Namaskar.

Great, you are 90% there -- speed up your Surya Namaskar (sun salutation), and you have one of the best cardio-pulmonary ("aerobic") exercises I know of.

I do this sun-salutation quite rapidly -- I think about 12 seconds per full cycle. That's 50 cycles for me in a ten-minute period. Depending on how fit you are, and how much you want to push yourself, you may or may not want to meet this pace.

You can build it up to whatever speed you want and therefore to whatever heartrate you want, producing whatever strength of cardiopulmonary (aerobic) exercise you want.

Sun Salutation done at speed is I believe a far superior aerobic exercise to jogging.

Funny you should ask this now when I wrote about my fast sun-salutation regime just a while ago.

One great advantage of it is that it is an all-weather exercise, not requiring you to leave your home. It has no preparation time (no putting on/taking off your running clothes etc.) either which makes it ideal for someone who is short on time.

If you wish to take this path, don't expect to be able to reach the high speeds immediately. You should gradually speed up over time.

Rapid sun-salutation doesn't seem to be known in the yoga world as well as it should be.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Mar 02 2006 3:05:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  3:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Katrine. I have never done any kind of exercise really. In India, I did a lot of Yoga, and we walked like crazy. It was expensive to take a taxi, and the buses were really crowded, so we walked a lot. Out here, during summer, I do walk a lot, but in winter, with coats and hats and gloves..and a frozen nose.. I don't find it very appealing. Where I live, we have winter for about 5 months. The pool is very appealing in summer, but in this crazy town we live in, there is only one covered pool and that too it is an outside pool covered over by a dome.. no windows, I have been there a couple of times, and feel like I am going to suffocate. Actually in summer, I do a lot of gardening... I love my garden, growing flowers and my own organic veggies.. there is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable. So the problem is in winter.. it almost feels like I hibernate..
By effective I mean, it would be grounding -esp. since Yogani told me that, too much sitting practices are causing energy imbalance in me, and I need to do some grounding exercises.
I have not heard of Qi-gong. But at work I don't take a lunch break, I work through lunch, so I can be home when the kids are back from school.
Weekends are gone even before I know they have started. So something I could fit in between my chores would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  3:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see...
Hmm
I think Davids suggestion is great. Would it work for you?

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  3:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David, I love your idea, never thought I could speed up surya namaskar.. I will try it tomorrow morning. I enjoy doing the sun salutation, I love the stretch it gives me... so I am sure speeding it up will be a lot of fun. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  3:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti
Since you don't know qi-gong:

Here is the website to the qi-gong I do:
http://www.holisticwebs.com/shengzhen/

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks interesting. How did you learn it?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same situation here.

two thoughts for desperation moves on this:

1. sleep less. seriously. you may find that you're sleeping a certain amount of time out of habit, and that AYP is making you actually need less. Reduce in 15 min increments.

2. walk. it's not aerobic, but it's good. and you don't need to change, shower, or otherwise set aside a hunk of time to do it. when in doubt, walk. when in doubt, walk more. park in the furthest space from the store, etc etc.

3. don't eat late at night. better energy, less weight gain.

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
About how i learned qi-gong:

We have something called "Alternativmessen" every fall in Oslo. It is a...gathering of different alternative directions in the society; everything from chrystals to clothes,food, different therapies etc.

Anyway, about five years ago I walked by their stand and immediately felt a pull. I ended up going to a demonstration; and then I bought some videos and started doing the exercises. I also went to a qi-gong class in Oslo (once) - but it was a different kind of qi-gong and I didn't like it as much (I mean...I liked it; but the other one I fell in love with)

After just a few sessions at home (or at my cabin)I could really feel the energy moving (not Kundalini, but chi..or qi). And my first experience of a pleasant buzz in the third eye happened during this qi-gong.

Lately I have been lazy and not done it as much. I think it is due to my infatuation with the ecstatic experiences I'm having these days. A few days ago I shoveled a ton of snow (it just keeps coming down this winter...)and my back disaligned itself (or whatever you call it). I know - from previous experience - that this would not have happened had I done my qi-gong.

So. I have some balancing to do. But....I THINK LIVING IS FUN!!!

Edited by - Katrine on Mar 02 2006 4:29:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim wrote:
quote:
you may find that you're sleeping a certain amount of time out of habit, and that AYP is making you actually need less.

In the past 2 years this is definitely true for me. I sleep about an hour and a half less than I used to. I didn't control it...it just gradually happened by itself. Also - I LOVE early mornings. Everybody at home is sleeping (most of my neighbourhood too). Clarity and peace fills the air.....I just love that time of the day.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim, I get like 6.30 hrs of sleep..as I add one more thing to my AYP, it reduces by 15 mins. How much sleep does a person need? Not sure.
Katrine, do you have the name of the video, or would any video on Qi-gong do. I think I may like this, and if 10 mins is what you think would be enough, that would be perfect.. I could take off 15 min more of my sleep.
Hey, I love my mornings too. The "House" is asleep...it is my time. I would not trade it for anything.

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 02 2006 4:38:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti

If you click below you will see the two videos that I bought (Sheng Zhen Wuji Yuan Gong Video):

http://www.shengzhen.org/bookstore.htm

I sleep about 6 hours. Sometimes a half hour more; sometimes an hour less. I almost always wake up before the alarm.

Good luck with it

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Katrine.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with David that some sort of "power yoga" type of a program is good for meditators.

Here's a new program that I'm diggin:

http://www.clubbell.tv/flowfit.html

Even a moderate program done while staying in motion really adds up in 15-20 minutes a few times a week.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some little exercises you can do while sitting at work.
I'm sure you could google them. If you just lift a little off your chair and stay there it's great exercise; squeezing muscles, stuff like that.

How much sleep you need depends on the person. However, if you do some aerobic exercise you will find you need less sleep!
Don't do it right before bed though as it wakes you up.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I myself need 8 hours minimum. But I'm an anomoly (anomaly? anenome?).
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  7:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to sleep about 7 hours before starting with AYP, now I need gradually less, maybe about 6 or 6.30 hours. But even if I sometimes get 4 or 5 hours I don't feel tired during the day. When I wake up during the night to turn or go to the bathroom I have to try to keep the mind fuzzy, otherwise it's very easy to get clear and concentrated, and then it's very hard to go to sleep again.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  09:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
MMMM something in common Jim. I need 8 hours too, I must be an Anenome as well.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Lavazza

69 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  11:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lavazza's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest that you change your kids' practices to something were you can practice yourself. My parents only brought me to stuff they liked themselves, I could choose myself when I was old enough to take the bus.
Go to Top of Page

rabar

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  5:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit rabar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hallo, Dear Fellow-AYPs!
I am going to once more 'toot my horn' here because there is nothing easier and more bliss-inducing that I have found over my thirty-plus years into yoga and meditation, and that is the smile-purr on the inhale and exhale exercise. I've put a 20-second video on my website. It's in .mov Quicktime format, which may cause problems for some PC users, but I'm working on offering also a .wmv version. for now: http://www.raysender.com/purr-snarl.mov
The anatomical theory behind this is explained at: http://raysender.com/2006/01/happy-...earlier.html

Just thumb down the page to the exercise and explanation if you don't want all the odds and ends.
Sorry to be such a pest about this, but frankly I try to spend every moment when no one's around to bother exercising this way, and frankly I don't need anything else to fill me with amazing, rapturous bliss! All I'm working on now is raising my bliss tolerance capacities, and that's a whole other topic for another time.

Feedback and comments always welcome. I keep hoping I've stumbled on an easy access route to nirvana, but of course it may just be something that works best for me. (sigh)
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  5:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you sure LOOK happy!

I'm (ignorantly!) guessing this acts on the throat chakra, which is a major, major block for most people (especially westerners). I find that any sort of work in that area brings some great currents.
Go to Top of Page

rabar

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  8:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit rabar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jim, you may be right... Between nursing on the uvula/soft palette and the purr-snarl, and voluntary blinks to keep thoughts just drifting by, I'm doing okay... Now practicing being aware of being aware of being aware. Someone recently called it 'thinkinging,' which I thought was kinda descriptive.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  01:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rabar

Thanks, Jim, you may be right... Between nursing on the uvula/soft palette and the purr-snarl, and voluntary blinks to keep thoughts just drifting by, I'm doing okay... Now practicing being aware of being aware of being aware. Someone recently called it 'thinkinging,' which I thought was kinda descriptive.

At some point you back up the camera far enough that you just want to drop the entire recording.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  9:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000