Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Enhanced Memory and Mental Functioning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ethereal_Ecstasy

USA
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  7:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

Although this topic isn’t directly related to AYP, I thought since it involved yogic methods and cultivation of the mind, it had some degree of relevance in these forums. And perhaps they would even have synergistic effects with some AYP exercises!

There was an exercise I had read several years ago in a book called The 100% Brain Course (the book is organized in a similar way to that of the AYP Lessons, actually) that described a technique to help one acquire a photographic memory. I thought it wouldn’t hurt to have one, since I’m still in school and it would enormously help my studies, but I somehow let my doubts and convenient excuses get in the way of actually trying the exercise out for myself.

Recently, as my interest in the subject again began to peak, I stumbled across another book on the internet called A Chakra & Kundalini Workbook, that described nearly the same technique, the only difference being that the latter called it Dharana Yantra.

Since The 100% Brain Course talked about the practice being part of a raja yoga routine, I wondered if there were more techniques out there to achieve a photographic memory/improve concentration/increase attention, so I did a little digging and indeed found additional techniques, including: tratak, sun salutations, alternate nostril breathing, bhramari pranayama, and yoga nidra.

Yoga Nidra in particular interested me because from what I’ve read, it is an extremely effective technique to learn material at an accelerated rate (granted you can get deep enough and you have a way to absorb the material while in this state) because the subconscious mind is predominant.

Additionally, I have read that practices like tratak stimulate the pineal gland, the gland responsible for higher mental functioning, so out of curiosity, I looked up other various ways to stimulate it and came up with: sacred geometry cards, essential oils, color therapy, crystals, magnets, chanting, simple awareness in the head, and the Emotional Freedom Technique.

Even after all this research, I don’t very well know where to start. In anyone’s opinion, what are the best methods to achieve photographic memory/learn at rapid rates, other than these? Could anything be simplified, eliminated, or integrated? Are there practices that are somewhat risky to undertake, like the ones that directly stimulate the pineal gland (in case any of the higher chakras become spontaneously activated, or something?)

And according to the AYP lessons, Cosmic Samyama is an advanced form of Yoga Nidra, so once inner silence has been cultivated, could I practice this in lieu of Y.N. and still achieve the desired effects? Of course, any insight from anyone more experienced in these types of matters is greatly appreciated!

~Ethereal Ecstasy~

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2015 :  2:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Found your post looking for posts on tratak, did you ever decide on a path with any of the above?

I don't know about getting a photographic memory, but DM is helping a bit with my levels of concentration. And I have an iphone app called Focus at Will (Focus@Will) that really does help me focus much better on learning tasks.

I would think that pineal function improves more of your intuitive capacities than your physical memory, but who knows, maybe there is a link.

Would be intrested to hear what you found, or what anyone else thinks about this subject
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2015 :  7:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani mentions about this video in one of his posts. You might like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000