Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Involuntary Mouth Movements
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tommy

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  10:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tommy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For the past four to six weeks, the activity in my throat has been extremely strong, so strong that it can cause my mouth to move involuntarily in a way that looks almost as if I am a fish gasping for air. It would be no big deal but I have noticed several people staring at my mouth and one child asked me "Why do you do that with your mouth?". I am trying to intentionally keep my lips together when I notice the activity is strong.

Does anybody know what is up with that and how long it is likely to go on?

Any input would be appreciated. I just keep wondering what the deal is and figure somebody out there has had to put up with that sort of thing (or something similar) before. I assume it is something that will change eventually and I need to just ride it out.

Thanks for listening and, perhaps, taking the time to respond with thoughts and experiences of your own!

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  4:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tommy,

I had very strong experience of automatic movements before, including throat moving up and down real quick, sudden opening of mouth and looking upward etc. After a while it passed away. I'm not sure what's going on in your case, because similar things can be caused by different reasons.
What's your routine of your practice like? Do you combine ayp with other practices? Are you overloading? Automatic movement can be a symptom of intense cleansing, thus signs of overloading.
Also the automatic movements might be encouraged by ego, sometimes. The best attitude is not to encourage it or resist it. just let it go. Hope this helps.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  8:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup I experience it. I don't know if it's a solution, but I just lightly smile.

If you ever look into the "homunculus", you find that the hands and the mouth take up the largest sections of the brain...so when our brain is evolving, these areas will be impacted the most.

On the flip side, using the mouth and hands in certain ways will evolve our brain in certain ways.

It's an interesting subject.
Go to Top of Page

Jaycee

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  05:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jaycee's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tommy,

I've also had this experience, although usually only when I'm meditating. It's only a kriya or automatic yoga, and I try not to take much notice. I think Scott's idea of turning it into a smile sounds like good advice.
Go to Top of Page

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  1:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Philaboston, Scott and Jaycee
Thank you for your input and validation of my experience. I've been doing about six minutes of pranayama followed by 20 minutes of meditation in the morning at 6:30 am and 15 to 20 minutes of meditation either around noon or at about 6:00 pm (depending on how tightly scheduled my day is). I think the movements are more powerful when I meditate at noon. While I keep the morning time pretty steady (at most knocking a minute or two off the pranayama, depending on how strongly the energy has been churning in my third eye and root chakras, I vary the time of the between ten to twenty minutes for the same reason. I would like to keep it 6/20 and 20, but sometimes that is just too much.

Regarding my ego, it's as big as all out doors but, hopefully, that won't be the case forever.

Meanwhile, I'll take the advice to turn my mouth movements into a smile! Noticed that sometimes the energy behind those movements will shift up to my third eye or crown if I focus there.

Thanks again!!!

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  3:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It also happens to me... been on and off for several years.

But i can easily stop it from happening if i consciously choose to. If you are in public, just don't let it happen i guess

I don't know what its about, but certainly its the same kriyas that make you hands and feet move, or the bolts of energy that go through one's body.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000