AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 perceiving of time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody,

I was just thinking, probably due to my up coming birthday, why perceiving of time is changing with age? I mean why one year was such a big time span for me during my university years and felt very, very long and never ending why it is not now? I didn't understand that time when people used to say "time is passing so fast" and i do now?
I don't know when exactly I had this brake in my life and started feeling a year span is just a year that passes really quick. Plus I remember everything from last year very clearly. It doesn't feel like really "past" I used to feel about past. It more like feels a closer time. When i feel about past it is not blurry it feels clear:)
Anyway the reason I'm writing this post if any of you know the cause in our psychology perceiving time this way and if spiritual practices would take us back feeling a year is a really a long?

Thank you

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  12:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kaserdar,
Firstly...

() () () |--||---||---||--| | Happy Birthday | |________________|

Now your question:

I am going to explain this as I see it.

Time is, like you experience, created by the mind. Not clock time, the concept of time as in how long a day is experienced as, depends on if you are enjoying yourself or not. Time passes fast when you are busy or enjoying yourself, when you are sad/depressed/stressed time crawls. When you are engrossed in what you are doing, or having fun, there isn't much mind evaluation of what is going on, not much thinking, but when you are sad/depressed/stressed, you mind is doing a lot of thinking.

There is something called the "gap" between thoughts (you can look here for more on this).

thought    thought     thought    thought
        [gap]      [gap]       [gap]

Most of our life we spend in thoughts and miss the gap. The mind cannot experience the gap, it only experiences thoughts. The time between two gaps (the thought) is "time" as seen by the mind. The more focus is on thoughts, and less the focus is on the gap, the more "time" we are experiencing, making a long shaft of mind shaft of (mind) "time".

As we practice meditation, we being to experience "the gap" (at first unconsciously, later consciously). When our focus goes from the thoughts to the gaps, and we start living more from this gap, (mind) time becomes less and less.

The more time we spend in thoughts, which is making a shaft of a long (mind) time, the year seems longer.

We also have so much thoughts going on, one thoughts runs into the next to make one jumbled thought.

When we meditate and live more from the gap, with lesser thoughts, then the (mind)" time" becomes shorter, making the year seem shorter. Also, less thoughts are clearer and hence we remember things better.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  3:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi shanti, I think your link is broken, (gap-technique) when I click on it, I get the following error message:

The webpage at http://livingunbound.net/lessons-re...p-technique/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

:-)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  6:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mr_anderson,

It seems to be working for me. Not sure why it gave you that error.

Try it again and let me know if it works this time.

Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  7:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Myself, I have a perplexing consciousness or perception of time. Not sure if its due to practice, mental illness, or aging. But, I don't experience time, its just Now. Its not that I don't notice the passage of time, that would be nuts. But, ah forget it, very subtle. Its a wonder that the world changes at all.

The other day, I said something to my family about how something happened a while back, and they said it happened ten years ago. Wow. I think I need to talk to Dr. House. Maybe it has to do with what I used to experience in meditation years ago (how long?). I would enter a nothingness, but then when I came out of it, I would not remember where I was or what I was, I bet I could have chosen anywhere/anytime/anything.

That Gap stuff was fascinating. I wouldn't try to do anything about it, thats just me, and let my normal practice uncover it more. The Gap is like our blinking, we do it all the time, yet our cognitive process hides it, similar to that visual hole everyone has in the cone of vision. One thing that may be a negative is that someone reading about the gaps thinking that Silence is equal to the absence of thought. Like the article says, the Silence will envelope thoughts, or more accurately, thoughts will not cause so many ripples that the silence is perturbed.

-- jo-self

jo-self

Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  04:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your explanation and birthday cake Shanti. I'm blowing out the candles and wishing everyone here more and more gaps in minds:)
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  08:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You also have to consider it from a purely mathematical standpoint. If I have been alive for only 10 years, 1 year is 10% of the total time that I've been alive. Compared to the total amount of time that I've been alive, 1 year would seem to be a very significant amount of time. However, if I am 100 years old, 1 year would be only 1% of the total time I've been alive. There have been 99 others just like it, versus there having been only 9 of them previously. I think this must play some part in influencing our perception of time.

Edited by - Clear White Light on Sep 24 2010 08:48:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000