Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Spirit Masters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nayarb

Colombia
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  3:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Yogani,
I would like to clarify your recent mail when someone questioned “Spirit”. You stated that, “Abiding inner silence (witness), the essential quality of spiritual growth, is beyond the realm of spirits”.
When I was young, I was drawn to the realms of Spirit and eventually joined the Spiritualist Church and have been part of this organization for 30 years. It is all about Spirit and Spirit Guides etc. My desire has always been to become Clairvoyant and a healer, to use these gifts as a service to mankind. Besides the Spiritualist Churches which are world wide organizations, there is also the Shamans of North and South America who rely on Spirit. The idea of not using Spirit is new to me. I am trying to get round the idea that those who practice yoga don’t need the help and guidance of Spirit as you mentioned?
Q1. Is this because as our abiding inner silence increases or grows, that we become or develop psychic powers, whereby we don’t need guidance from the masters etc?
In these 30 odd years, I have changed course or direction a few time when I felt I was going anywhere and found other similar spiritual paths. It has taken me all these years to find your site AYP, and this is exactly what I have been seeking. My path to enlightenment is all important to me
Q2. Surely this has to be the guidance of Spirit?
I was also taught that before we incarnate, we choose our next life path, the lessons and journeys we need to undertake to grow and also to work through karma.
Q3. Is this correct, and is this where our Bhakti comes from to pursue our journey?
Another matter which I would like to mention is that for some time I have been praying for Enlightenment and other aspects of life, where I would like to help people. Now it is like my prayers have been answered, I found your AYP site, my Numerology chart maps out my life in exactly the way I have been praying it would happen. I really feel that I am on the right path here which makes me very happy. Everything seems to be coming together for me.
Q4. What is going on here?
Lastly, I came upon another site all about Sodarshan Chakra Kriya Yoga, which really appeals to me. Do you know of this type of yoga? Briefly, the right nostril is closed while breathing in through the left. The breath is held while pumping the stomach 3 x 16 times to a mantra and then exhaled through the right nostril whilst hold the left side closed. The whole procedure is done for a period of 30 minutes and as long as 60mins to 2 hours as one progresses.
I have started this yoga and fit it in at noon between my early morning and late afternoon AYP. I am a pensioner so have some spare time on my hands.
Q5. What are your thoughts on the Sodarshan Chakra Kriya Yoga please?
I am very grateful to you for all the love and work you have put into this site, it is amazing and anyone wanting to start their journey to Enlightenment has found the right place. Thank you very much.
Regards,
Brian

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  11:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nayarb:

Belief systems and objects of devotion serve their ultimate purpose by enabling us to go beyond the externals to their (and our) source -- inner silence. Living in inner silence (divine Self) while active in the world is the objective of all systems that lead to the truth.

Our chosen ideal (ishta) can be anything, and its value is not in conceptualizing and sustaining identification with it, but in refining it through prayer, meditation, samyama and other actions we take on behalf of our spiritual progress. This process of refinement is covered in detail in the AYP Bhakti and Karma Yoga book.

"Spirit guides" can serve that purpose just as any other ishta can. In the case of living gurus (or any other interactive teacher), it is incumbent on them to encourage the transcendence of reliance on their presence in time and space.

Yoga is therefore not at odds with religion, but in support of it, always encouraging us to look beyond the surface of objects and doctrine, to the depth of inner silence that is the One supporting us all.

As we have said: "The One is the many and the many are the One."
This is what Lesson 421 on spirits attempts to convey in practical terms.

Sounds like good things are happening there. Deep meditation will fulfill the truth in our beliefs, regardless of our culture or creed. The human nervous system is the doorway, and we each have one of those.

Sorry, not familiar with the kriya yoga system you mentioned. Perhaps others here will have some perspective on that.

Wishing you all the best on your continuing path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Kriyaban

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Nayarb. In regards to the Sodarshan Chakra Kriya Yoga you mentioned I would like to tell you how we look at that in our system. Firstly, many people use the term "kriya" and "yoga" due to the various meanings and thats fine. But it also can confuse many and sometimes it is meant to do just that because many people "know" (i use that term lightly) Kriyayoga as in Kriyayogasadhana and it is popular to some extent so you will find some playing on that and you will have others that are using the term to mean yoga(ic) action. In this case it is surely the latter. I read that supposedly that technique is the "highest" of 20 yoga systems, like it is the end all or something. do not believe that. also, in our tradition, pressing with the hands to close the nostrils and doing alternate breath work is not only incorrect it is dangerous. It is considered hugely an INFERIOR method. Yogiraj Sri Lahiree Mahasaya from The Autobiography of a Yogi, says that it is practiced wrongly when doing it that way, with external motion, it leads to disease and that originally it was done with Khechari in place. Those that couldnt do that started doing it the other way. Now what i do know is that many systems use it and thats fine. its irrelevant what came first and what is the so called proper way as systems are different. in mine we would never do that. it also depends on the purpose of doing it as well. and this might be in the context Yogiraj was thinking. If trying to merge the breath into the sushumna then using the alternate breathing method, especially the one you mentioned, is quite useless due to the fact you are using the Ida and Pingala and this is exactly what you dont want to be doing. So with all that said my only real point is to take what you read (including my posts) with a grain of salt. do not think that any way is the best or the most correct. i tend to do that sometimes because i am devoted to my path. that is wrong. LOL but it would be best if you did much research on something before adding it to your practice, just because it is on the net and says its great for this and that, doesnt make it true. Good luck.

Edited by - Kriyaban on Jul 18 2010 3:01:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nayarb

Colombia
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  9:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Yogani and Kriyaban,
Many thanks for your replies, I appreciate it very much. I understand what you are saying Kriyaban about this other practice, what really caught my interest when I first read about it was the fact that it opened the right hemisphere of the brain, whereby giving me the benefits of the arts, music etc, all of which I am interested in and which could enhance my gifts I already have.
However, I will take heed and do some more researching on this particular yoga practice and maybe stop it.

One question please, does AYP open the right hemisphere of the brain?

I really enjoy my AYP, I do feel I am making head way, at times I feel the most beautiful love flowing which tells me that there is ecstatic conductivity between the root and the 3rd eye which pleases me no end.

I think Samyama is the best, when I have finished my 10 minutes, I feel so special.

Many thanks again,

Warm regards,
Nayarb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000