AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Best Ramana Maharshi books/book?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, just a quick question, I was looking into getting some books/a book by Ramana Maharshi though on looking I have found many different texts mostly with or completely by other authors, I was wondering if anyone who is well read could advise me on what the better book/books are by him/others. I have been considering the following:

The Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi by Ramana Maharshi and Arthur Osborne
The Spiritual Teachings of Ramana Maharshi by Ramana Maharshi
The Collected Works of Ramana Maha by Arthur Osborne
Be As You Are: The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi (Arkana) by David Godman and Sri Maharshi

but any others that you could recommend would also be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Peace, Love and Light

Om Shanti

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jono, the books you mentioned are really good and kind of summarize it all. but i think that "Living by the words of Bhagavan" is the best book there is on Sri Ramana. it gives the best and most detailed insights on Bhagavan.

Love
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  11:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The books by Arthur Osborne are good. The interesting thing about reading Ramana Maharishi's teachings is, you can stop reading the book after few pages.

The reason for this is, that he is taking us back to the same thing again and again on all the questions. To the Source. 'Who am I?'. For instance, when some one asked a question to Ramana Maharishi, his response was not any particular answer to that question. He questioned the questioner as to "Who is asking this question?". Seek and find first who that questioner is. If we know the who the questioner is, then the question may not even be relevant.

You get the idea after reading few pages or one book. His approach is to keep inquiring, "Who am I"? until we find the true answer.

Who am I?????????? The body? the mind? the intellect? the atman? or nothing? Each one of us have to find this answer for ourselves.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  12:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"I Am That"

Sure, its not about Ramana Maharshi, but Ramana Maharshi is not about that guy in India, its about the realization of that guy. And that realization is well represented in I Am That.

jo-self
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  2:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jo, hope you're doing well. I like the book and all but i am sorry if the content of my post might upset any Nisargadatta devotees or fans and my aim is really not to do any guru bashing but you cannot compare someone like Nisargadatta to someone like Sri Ramana Maharshi (compassion incarnate.)

Yes it's about Self realization, but it's also about It being available and open to everyone without any exception and not according to what DNA one is born with. If my memory serves me right that was Nisargadatta's last stand on the matter of who gets realized and who doesn't.

He said that it is written in one's DNA if he's going to become enlightened or not... which seems pretty darn heartless IMHO.

please correct me if i am wrong!

I don't exactly remember from which sources i read about this stand from Nisargadatta but David Godman who has been in the presence of Sri Nisargadatta might have written about it also on his site.

Love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  2:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think i've read it in this interview which is a pretty darn good one :
http://www.davidgodman.org/interviews/nis1.shtml

sorry if i am not willing to read it again...

namaste
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  3:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

Hi Jo, hope you're doing well. I like the book and all but i am sorry if the content of my post might upset any Nisargadatta devotees or fans and my aim is really not to do any guru bashing but you cannot compare someone like Nisargadatta to someone like Sri Ramana Maharshi (compassion incarnate.)

Yes it's about Self realization, but it's also about It being available and open to everyone without any exception and not according to what DNA one is born with. If my memory serves me right that was Nisargadatta's last stand on the matter of who gets realized and who doesn't.

He said that it is written in one's DNA if he's going to become enlightened or not... which seems pretty darn heartless IMHO.

please correct me if i am wrong!

I don't exactly remember from which sources i read about this stand from Nisargadatta but David Godman who has been in the presence of Sri Nisargadatta might have written about it also on his site.

Love,

Ananda

Ananda,

I agree with you 100%. Ramana Maharishi is on a whole different level. He gets compared and talked about at the same level as many other teachers. He did not even preach, or had a desire to "change the world", or bring about spiritual progress to any one. This is what many other so called teachers do, or want to do. Every word Ramana Maharishi uttered is in compassion to the people who came to him seeking relief. The one who has truly realized that everything is 'ONE', has no desire to change anyone or anything or bring about any progress. The change, progress etc., make sense only when we are in the level of duality.

Everything is good as it is as Krishna said.

Regards,
Ram.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  4:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ananada:

Interesting. If he said that, I am even more in awe of him. I am also of that opinion. Even in the Yoga Sutras there is mention of this. But, in the bigger picture, who gets together to conceive is part of the process no? The paths in life that two people take just to be together and procreate is sometimes magical, even traveling across oceans, and facing untold struggles.

Anyway, at this point such talk is just philosophical and helps no one.

Who's got the bigger Guru is a poor contest.

jo-self
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  4:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Jo, it's not about who's got the bigger guru or not... in the end the guru is inside us...

What i am saying is that Nisargadatta was teaching something at first and talking the same way as the two other Jnana titans of the twentieth century Sri Ramana Maharshi and Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon but at the end he has changed his opinions somehow...

While writing and looking at it now, it might've been something he has said to someone in order for him to stop trying and just being or maybe not... Got me really thinking

okay back to no mind, it's all just philosophical nayways so who cares... Let's drop the useless discussion "I Am That" is one great book anyways.

namaste brother
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  10:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ananda:

You are correct. I never heard of Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon. Looked him up in web. Thanks for the tip. It is good to read about people who realized. Their stories and words saturate the mind and turn it toward That.

Jo-self
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  02:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jo, and Sri Atmananda is quite something. You can read his beautiful biography (which is worth reading) in the book spiritual discourses, it's for free on the net and i have opened a topic about it in the gurus and higher beings forum perhaps...

namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000