AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Will i become a sanyasi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thundu

17 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  11:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit thundu's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
We all are meditating to move towards infinite love or bakthi.... Small fear develops into my mind when i think of meditation...If i meditate , will i lose interest in sex , family, committment ,personal goals and success in my office..... Will all this become meaningless finally will i become a sanyasi..
i know sanyasi is a very sacred and pure way of life.... But i want be with my family ,society and want to contribute to this world in a big way and also understand meaning of life , god , love.... is it possible?.. Every time when i meditate this fear comes to my mind at the starting... i know its a very silly question..but help me yogis

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  12:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you need to worry about it.
You will follow the path that your heart tells you to follow. AYP meditation should not make it more difficult for you to maintain your responsibilities and commitments aside from the need for times for practice. I have personally found myself become more grounded in my life since practicing AYP rather than less so. Have no fear and just make practice part of your daily routine like brushing your teeth and eating dinner.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  1:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think everyone who gets seriously into a practice asks themselves the "will I withdraw from society and make this a full time thing?" question. For some it's fear, for others it's compulsion. In any case, it's an evergreen!

You've found the right practice. AYP is geared to householders, not monks. It's simple, pragmatic, and specifically includes measures to AVOID your practice taking over your life.

All practice involves surrender, and surrender is slightly scary (until you do it and find out your fears were completely unfounded). But it doesn't lead to roaming naked through the woods, it leads to bathing in the beauty of each moment (even if your personal goals aren't met).

It does involve letting go of assumptions. But you won't lose your memory or identity or your ability to do what you do (on contrary...you'll do it all better and infinitely more cheerfully and energetically!). You won't lose the people and things you love, you'll just fall in love with everything else just as much. You'll open your doors wide. It's what you've always yearned to do.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The other thing to keep in mind is that things do not have to be forever. You can be a sannyasi for a few years and then .... quit, if that is the right word.

Some traditions tend to unfortunately have all-or-nothing-and-forever mind-sets about this sort of thing. In my own Catholic background, thre is a lot of richness of monastic tradition, but unfortunately it is all-or-nothing-and-forever -- they just don't have the point of view that it would be good for someone to be a monk for a few years.

Some Buddhist traditions are tuned in non-permanent monkhood. There are places where it is quite accepted for a man to go and be a monk for a few years and then go out into the world.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Feb 08 2006 3:44:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  04:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How about conscription for Monkhood.
Your choice - the Army or the Monastery!!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  06:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You'll only become a sanyasi if that's what you really want to do in your heart!
Go to Top of Page

thundu

17 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  1:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thundu's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone....somehow i am satisfied with your replies
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000