Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Back pain / ache, affecting practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  4:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello wonderful Souls/God/Consciousness/Oneness, I have just been initiated+started Kriya Yoga. I don't know wether it's the focus on the spine but my back pain has become more prominent recently.

I have had occasional boughts of back pain ever since I was doing some heavy lifting for a friends relative (about 4 years ago), they didn't show me how to lift properly (+i didnt know how) and I did something to my back. The pain is mid to lower back and feels odd, feels like a trapped nerve but the doctors don't agree, might get it looked at again. A physio has given me some exercises that don't help massively.

Now it's getting in the way of my practice/focusing on the movement of prana in the spine and meditation. My kriya routine requires Maha-mudra, I am wondering wether doing this more will eventually help it.

I am here just asking for general advice + help with my back pain. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to get rid of it? any asanas/anything you can recommend? I have Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha by the Bihar school of Yoga that suggests a few+ all backwards bending asanas (Makarasana, the croc pose seems to help), which makes me wonder about maha mudra which requires a foreward bend. As I said Maha mudra is essential to my practice so I can't really give it up.

Has anyone tried inversion therapy/inversion tables? I have met someone who swears by them.

Any advice at all would be great ANY, healers, asanas, herbs, whatever.

God bless

Om Shanti

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  2:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
You can try this routine maybe, I find it quite nice. Guaranteed, there is no risk to aggravate your condition, it's that easy to do.

The sound is pretty bad, but its not important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkaZr8Bvnq4

http://atbsnr.tripod.com/

Hope this helps.

Edited by - thibaud05 on Jun 18 2010 2:40:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  3:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I have tried it once or twice, I will give it more focus this weekend. Has it helped you?

Blessings

:)
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  9:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I keep Rodney Yee's 'Back Care Yoga' on dvd on hand. It has given me such relief when I've hurt my back---repeatedly helped me several times. Like yours, my issues were sporadic. The routine is only about 20 minutes long.

I initially found it in the public library, tried it and eventually bought my own copy.

hope you feel better soon,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000