Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Can I meditate 3 times a day?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

viru

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  3:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

If a health condition requires, is it okay to meditate 3 times a day (total of 60 minutes)?

Suppose that meditating 3 times is giving more relief than meditating 2 times.

Is it safe?

Thank you.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  6:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of meditation do you practice?
AYP?

If yes to AYP, I would not recommend more than twice a day. It is a very powerful practice and although it may seem like not much is happening and/or you are feeling better after 3 sessions, the overloads can sneak up on you.

If however, you are doing some other form of practice, I cannot comment on that. I am not familiar with other forms of meditation and some forms it may be OK to do 3 times a day... I really don't know.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

viru

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanthi,

Thank you for the response and the wishes.

My meditation is repeating 'AUM' mantra.

For now, I am meditating only 2 times a day. If it is safe, I would like to do 3 times.

Go to Top of Page

AlanCrawfordUK

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  2:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert, but I know that in some other traditions (my experience is in Buddhism) meditation is encouraged three times per day (15 minutes each), however this is usually in the form of a breathing meditation or contemplative meditation (such as cultivating Loving Kindness).

Many Buddhists gradually increase their meditation time up to an hour in duration each day, with two or even three hours at the weekend (breaking up sitting sessions with a walking meditation or mindful eating for example). I can't comment on the safety of mantra meditation three times per day as I am new to mantra. Buddhists meditating in this way would not normally be undertaking advanced practices advised here (Spinal Breathing, mudras etc)either.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  10:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by viru

Hi Shanthi,

Thank you for the response and the wishes.

My meditation is repeating 'AUM' mantra.

For now, I am meditating only 2 times a day. If it is safe, I would like to do 3 times.

Hi Viru,
For how long do you meditate on the 'aum" mantra?

AYP recommends, 20 min twice a day with the "i am" mantra. More than that, we could feel overloaded. Signs of these are feeling irritated during the day, or feeling tired and/or lethargic/dull. At times feeling too heavy in the head.

Since it's almost 6 months since you posted this (sorry I missed it and thank you AlanCrawfordUK for reviving this post ), do let us know how things are working out for you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000