Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 preferences
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  9:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If I think, "I dont like that" or "I like that" this seems to be a limiting way of thinking. In doing so I may avoid something "I dont like" That can lead to a lot of avoiding or placing value judgements on somone or something. For example if I like brunettes I may not see the beauty in a blonde, if I like red or white cars, green ones may seem repulsive. In essence everything is just as amazing as everything else, however preferences can lead to suffering when doing something I don't like or avoidance of enjoying myself. Then this can lead to what one is doing in one moment may be more valuable, exciting, etc.. then another moment. many of you may have had this type of experience at some point. whar are your thoughts or experiences on this.
thanks
brother Neil

Edited by - brother neil on May 03 2010 9:58:12 PM

Smileyogi

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  02:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Smileyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

For example if I like brunettes I may not see the beauty in a blonde, if I like red or white cars, green ones may seem repulsive.

Hi Brother..like/dislikes belong to the mind level...if you like brunettes,that's because of the karmic mind levels...be aware that there are many of those.The idea is to go for the brunettes,if you love them..but don't hate the blonds.The true beauty is not in the color,but the pure shinning clear light essence manifesting.But this don't means that you'll have sex with blonds,brunettes and red haired wild ones,(or maybe gay men)just because you and them share the same essence(pure spirit)...cause and manifestation of source.. requires individualization of the preferences on the mind/karmic level..that's all.

The same sex drives/karmic influences...preferences..will STILL act as before,but you'll not hate the opposites mind forms when they appear...and you will see thru them,as the lonely coyote in the desert witnesses the majestic sun rise...he witnesses the shadows of the cactus flowers.(mind levels)
You just love them all,but choose the brunettes for a hot date.Do not confuse the source with manifestation of it,or the individualized preferences.

In other words..you'll still go for the brunettes,even when you get enlightened..why is that?..because that makes your individuality,even so you become universal.The difference is in knowing and seeing them(the mind forms)..that's all.(well..if you see them,you can modify some of them up to a certain point..but good luck to you trying to modify the karmic make-up totally and decide what you like or not is not important..but that's other topic,I guess,because the purpose of self-realization is mainly to understand your true nature)
love,danny:)

ps..and I have no idea why someone would prefer brunettes..I love the blonde ones.:)))

pps..This business of meditation is all about knowing the one whom is watching ..but not for a second think that is a thought...I already explained in my posts to NOT block the thoughts,or preferences.. (since you'll create a super-thought,or preferences) but allow THEM and see THEM as they arise..The true YOU is the Watcher,but to get to that you must understand clearly the trips and traps of the process,since the witness is not a thought,but the origin of it,and also the whole mystery of creation itself he contains.You are that...ponder my words..I speak the truth...I gave you the key to immortality.

To us all towns are one, all men our kin. Life's good comes not from others' gift, nor ill. Man's pains and pains' relief are from within. Thus have we seen in visions of the wise !." - Tamil Poem-

Edited by - Smileyogi on May 05 2010 04:41:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  04:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is such a good question for me, Brother Neil - so thank you

I found an extract from Ramesh Balsekar's book Peace and Harmony in Daily Living, which addresses preferences:

"The man of understanding certainly sees preferences being made in daily living between the polaric opposites, but is totally aware of the fact that the preferences happen according to the individual programming in each case, and are not made by any individual person doing the preference. The man of understanding is, therefore, always in tune with the Source. When the final flash of total understanding happens, it is not at all unlikely for the individual to realize the unbroken wholeness of the universe and to clearly see the whole range of polaric opposites as a great illusion or a play of a feigned quarrel between lovers. The result can be an uncontrollable fit of huge laughter or intense weeping."

The whole extract is very interesting, and I am so glad I found it because it also makes very clear the difference between duality and dualism, which hadn't occurred to me to even wonder about
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000