Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Can Yoga cure High blood pressure ? / Alt remedies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  1:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I just got off the phone with my mum, she is saying that her blood pressure medication is making her feel sick and giving her arthritic pain etc and was asking me for an alternative.

I don't know for certain but I am pretty sure that I have heard of people regulating there high blood pressure through meditation, Asana, Pranayama etc. I try to encourage her to practice anyway (as with most people I love (not in a pushy way, only if i get an opening/they ask)), but I was wondering if there was any specific practice that can help her, or if just starting AYP or some other form of AYP would do the trick or if not that was wondering if there were any well known alternatives that had little or no side effects. She tells me that she needs to regulate her blood pressure or there is a chance she will have a stroke, it is fine most of the time but she just needs to maintain it.

If anyone can give me any advice that would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone can pass on my message to an expert in the Yoga/physical health / Alternative medicine field that would be grrrreat.

I may be posting this in one or two areas as I am not sure where the question would go best.

Kind kind regards

God bless

Love and light

Jono

Edited by - 11jono11 on Apr 22 2010 1:45:44 PM

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jon Kabat Zinn's book Full Catastrophe Living reports on his mindfulness based stress reduction programme, run over 8 weeks, which can be done at home. He reports a decrease in blood pressure as one of the effects for some participants. It's an excellent programme that can be done at home, if you get the accompanying cds. It involves 45m a day, doing one of various things - a body scan, sitting meditation, one of two programmes of asanas.

I hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  12:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 11jono11:

For high blood pressure, I suggest three things, all to be done:

1. Twice-daily deep meditation.

2. The DASH diet, which is low salt, low fat, and proven to reduce hypertension (high blood pressure).

3. Moderate cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise at least three times per week. That is 20+ minutes of walking, light jogging, biking, swimming ... anything that elevates heart rate for 10-20 minutes.

Be sure to keep in touch with the doctor on all this, and for adjustments in medication when results occur.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  2:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your answers/help, I am forwarding both messages to mi Ma right now.

God bless
Go to Top of Page

Mark Lehman

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  01:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Lehman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Friends,

There are so many yogas.
For this you can visit yoga.about.com

Thanks
Mark.
Go to Top of Page

perdev

Nepal
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  01:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit perdev's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
...Yah yoga definitely is the science of body which helps to increase immunity against various ailments. I especially recommend kapalvati for hypertension(with care and without stress). Anolambilam is also perfect. Try these two yogas. And respond here

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 22 2010 02:51:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  03:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second Yogani on the DASH diet, it's recommended by most nutritionists. The bihar school of yoga has a book out called 'The effects of yoga on hypertension'

here is a link to it on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Effects-Yoga-...p/8185787271

they have a pretty well respected practice and I am under the impression they have been involved with some decent research in collaboration with the Indian gov so It's worth a look.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000