Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Newcomer questions - sensations during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lklein

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  6:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit lklein's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

Thanks for this wonderful group and support forum.

I'm asking these questions because I couldn't find a suitable post by searching. If these are already answered, feel free to direct me there.

During meditation, I experience a few sensations that I hope some one else has also experienced and/or can explain:

1. A gentle swirling/crawling feeling all over my scalp, sometimes reaching down up to my forehead and nose. Nothing unpleasant but just interesting.
2. A feeling of tight band around my forehead (again very gentle). The feeling tightens a bit more if my mind focuses on my legs.
3. A gentle breeze-like feeling on my scalp/forehead. The first few times this happened, I actually put my hand above my head to check if there was a draught!

Are they telling me something? In terms of where I am in my practice, and in terms of what I should do more/less?

Thank you, and all the best,
Larry.

Edited by - AYPforum on Apr 03 2010 6:24:06 PM

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  01:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Larry, I'm kind of new here, too. Welcome here!

I am having something similar to 1, after meditation. I take mine as clearing of obstructions. Please tell your yoga routine, what kind of practices you do etc, so people here can better understand what is going on. What I can remind you now, is to gently return to your mantra, and don't be carried away by these symptoms, usually they go away after a while, and you'll feel better and know you've made some progress by then.

Good luck!

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  07:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
During meditation or other spiritual practices any number of energetic phenomena may occur. The sensations you described are fairly typical energetic experiences. They will come and go. Then new phenomena will develop and that too will pass on into something else. Just observe the sensations as mindfully as possible without getting too attached to them.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  3:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome, Larry

quote:
Originally posted by lklein

Are they telling me something? In terms of where I am in my practice, and in terms of what I should do more/less?

These are signs that purification is happening in the nervous system. As far as doing more/less, a more reliable indicator is how you feel when this happens and during your daily activities. If these symptoms are uncomfortable, it's good to back off until they pass. If during daily activities you feel irritable, or negative emotions are coming up, that's also a good indicator to cut down on practice times.

As Clear mentioned, these energy experiences come and go. If you feel good during practice and daily life, they are nothing to worry about.

Enjoy!

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lklein,

quote:
1. A gentle swirling/crawling feeling all over my scalp, sometimes reaching down up to my forehead and nose. Nothing unpleasant but just interesting.
2. A feeling of tight band around my forehead (again very gentle). The feeling tightens a bit more if my mind focuses on my legs.
3. A gentle breeze-like feeling on my scalp/forehead. The first few times this happened, I actually put my hand above my head to check if there was a draught!

These are Classic kundalini/ stirring of energy symptoms.

I am kinda surpised you've been able to identify them so accurately as it can take a while to know what you're looking for,identiy what you're feeeling, even with textual confirmation.

No.3-The breeze on the forehead- yes it actully feels like a breeze as if there's a mini-haridryer going off on your forehad or scalp- but it's a cool very pleasant breeze.. like someone is fanning your head- Very Goood!

No. 1- this is normal stirring of Third-eye and associated Crown activity -subtle sensations of the movement of prana/energy again & assoicated neurobiolgical re-wiring.(No.2- you might want to free up abit but everyone responds individually or differently-sounds roughly normal though-.)

This is all very good because the sensations- in particular the prana are typically rather subtle- but you gain a feel for what it , well, feels like.

These symptoms tell you that the practices are working, and it's just a matter of carrying on. And self-pacing if neceesarry-depends of you are a sensitive practitoner or an insensitive- i suspect i'm on the latter end of the scale so i can tend to feel i have to double up the tools i'm using, in a balanced way of course over the long-term, for extra potency.But that's just me. Everyone is different in terms of some practices can work for some folk but not as well for others.As a beginner to AYP you are making astonishing progress, and doing very well indeed.So i would say carry on .Just continue what you're doing. It's working.Nothing to unduly alarmed about or worth worrying about.

Any other problems, queries concerns you just report back here- can't go wrong.The self-pacing principle , a pillar of AYP, means hopefully you can avoid any negative consequences arising from charging ahead too fast.A matter of balance but sustained and steady progress.

You're doing great!

And welcome to AYP.

Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  06:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Iklein, your symptoms sound really similar to mine! I'm a beginner as well, started practising last November and have been doing a steady, twice daily routine since the start of the New Year. Best New Year's Resolution I ever made!

I'm glad you managed to articulate the feeling of the band around the forehead so well, I've been searching for the right way to describe this properly. Sometimes an interesting thing happens, my head begins to dip down towards my body (another normal phenomenon I understand), remains there for a while, and then I have a feeling as if someone has looped this band around my head and is hoisting me back up to the vertical position!

None of this is uncomfortable for me, I enjoy these interesting little occurrences and take it as a sign that the practices are working. At first I also noticed a lot of movement in the tongue during meditation, which I found quite distracting. This abated once I began pranayama sessions but has recently returned in a more subtle manifestation.

Thanks for your thoughts, would be good to hear more about your feelings as they develop. :) The breeze sounds very interesting, not something I've ever noticed myself!

Love x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000