Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 kundalini yoga?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maynard

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  09:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit maynard's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Do any of you guys practice kundalini yoga, having had an awakening already? I had an unexpected awakening a couple years ago, and would like to try kundalini yoga, but dont want to accelerate the process more than i can handle.

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  09:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maynard....

I used to practice kundalini yoga after having a kundalini awakening and yes, it did cause some overload issues. I was only doing it once a week, but I was doing it on top of my twice daily AYP practices, and there were a couple of instances where things got out of control. In the class I was taking (a 3HO class) the teacher often used the "Breath of Fire" technique and this would almost always give me "spine sweats" and make me very uncomfortable. And there was one class in which, after doing the kriyas and pranayam but before we started in on our "chanting meditation", we were resting in savasana and the teacher started leading a guided meditation in which we brought white light down from above the crown and filled the body with it. As soon as the white light touched my crown I started having automatic yoga happen along with some very loud bastrika type automatic pranayam....the teacher thought I was having a seizure and wanted to call an ambulance....don't remember if she did or not. Everyone is different in how they react to practices, but I would be careful in combining Kundalini Yoga with AYP. It can easily push one into overload in my experience. Your experience may be different, but I would still caution you.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been to 3 kundalini classes since starting AYP. I'm using yoga classes to learn some basic asanas. First class was a couple months ago, and it also used the breath of fire. Afterward I felt warmth at the root for several days. It was fine - but was hard to fall asleep for a couple days, the tingling at the root was keeping me up. So then I took a month or two off from it. Then I began again a week or two ago, and there have been no energy problems since then. After a few classes now I can start to see what I like and don't like, and bring it home. Now I can practice the asanas I learned in class as part of my regular practices - which immediately balances the energy and cuts down on the overload I experience after the relatively intense 90 minute kundalini classes. In other words, it's not the style itself that's causing overload, so much as the 90 minute long, high intensity format it's done in.

I tried a couple other class types, and found this kundalini class to be the most in line with the spiritual aspect of asana. But I think that has a lot to do with the individual instructors. The spiritual side of it brings more energy to the practices. I went to different yoga classes that were purely physical instructions on stretching. And they also had a good opening effect, but were much less energetic. So, try kundalini, if kundalini is too much energy, try out other instructors and yoga styles.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000