Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Rebirthing / Breathwork - my experience
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

harmony

Hong Kong
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  12:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit harmony's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, this topic has briefly been discussed on AYP but I would specifically like to ask Yogani about the Breathwork / Rebirthing technique by Leonard Orr and how this may overlap or have similar benefits to Spinal Breathing Pranayama

Just to be clear the breathwork technique I am referring to involves continuous, connected in and out breathes without pausing. My experience was profound. After around 25 mins of full deep connected breathes initially through the nose and then the mouth while lying down I reached a point where the Breathing took over. I entered a state of deep altered consciousness. My breaths were loud and powerful and I felt the spontaneous urge to kick up my legs and continue the breathing in a shoulder stand and then in a plow pose to intensify the inhalations and exhalations. I did not actually do that but it was an intense experience. My guide told me to relax and just go with the breath and I went deeper into the experience. This went on for another 10 mins and it is hard to explain the experience. I felt like I was vibrating. It was profound. I felt deeply connected. focused and invincible. The session ended with me in a deep, relaxed meditative state.

I am aware now that breathwork and continuous breathing can cause hyperventilation and that may have accounted for some of the sensations. However I am convinced there was much more to it than that. I was definitely operating at a different level of consciousness.

I would like to know what Yogani makes of this experience. I am eager to reach that same level of consciousness again and keen to practice more breath work or pranayama. I want to be careful not to overdo things and would welcome any comments or advise.

With thanks,

Edited by - harmony on Mar 15 2010 10:22:49 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Harmony:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that system of practice. I would only suggest being careful not to overdo, or to "double up" on similar practices from more than one system in a given session or day. It can lead to overloads. It should also be mentioned that there can be a delayed reaction when overdoing with pranayama. What feels good now may not feel good later if developing a balanced daily routine for the long term is not the first priority.

Note to All: I am asked every week in email and the forums to comment on at least a dozen "other systems" of practice. It is not possible for me to respond to all of these requests. The suggestion to those who are interested in comparing AYP to other systems of practice is to become familiar with the AYP baseline system through study of the writings and daily practice. Then you will be in the best position to form your own opinion about other systems of practice in relation to AYP, and proceed accordingly.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

seekingthelight

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  10:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit seekingthelight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Harmony,

I am currently undertaking a year-long training course on a more cathartic style of rebirthing breathwork. For the past 2 months I have been undergoing at least one (sometimes up to 3) of these hour long (sometimes longer) sessions. These have been very powerful for me, but I have not experienced any overloads. My AYP routine is 10 mins SBP and 20 mins DM.

Obviously this is just my own experience, but my recommendation would be to allow yourself to experience more of this sort of work, but also be mindful of any overload symptoms you may experience and follow the self-pacing techniques as described in AYP.

One more thing I will add is that I have been experiencing a lot of what would be considered overload symptoms in the AYP teachings - namely a lot of frustration and anger has been showing up for me in daily life. This actually isn't something I need to self-pace because the triggers for this anger are actually opportunities for me to resolve a lot of built-up, repressed emotions. For example, I have allowed people to "walk all over me" in the past, and I am currently learning a healthy way of putting boundaries in place to let people know that I'm not ok with that, and as a result I am able to bit-by-bit reclaim the power I have been giving away my whole life.
I also must add that this is only possible for me now because I've been doing AYP practices for over a year now and have developed the witness state to a large enough degree that I can quite easily notice when I'm being triggered into an emotion, and have the ability to react from a place of deeper understanding, rather than an emotional reflex.

So, listen to the guru within, be mindful of any overloads that come up, and discuss any concerns that may arise with your breathwork facilitator and the great folk on this forum.

Hope that helps!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000