Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 mulabandha question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  01:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm going to try adding in mulhabanda and sambhavi over the coming weeks. I have a question on the mulabandha lesson.

"What we want to do is develop the habit of holding this light flex of the anal sphincter throughout our pranayama session. At the same time, while we do this, we lightly flex and pull up above the flexed anal sphincter, through the pelvis, and into our lower belly."

My question is about the part that I have italicized. As written it is confusing, and I need some more detail. Flexing and pulling up above the anal sphincter. Flexing what? Pulling up?

Here's the way I feel things down there, going from back to front. I can sense a muscle behind the anus, at the base of the spine. I can barely flex that one. Maybe it was once related to moving the tailbone. Then there's the anal sphincter, which I can flex. Then there's a muscle that corresponds to my perineum, which I can flex. Then there's the PC muscle, which I can flex to stop my stream during urination. Then there's the lower and upper abdominal muscles.

Could somebody describe proper mulabandha with references to the above listed muscle groups?

Thanks.

JDH

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  04:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, impressive that you can isolate all of those seperate muscles! Mulabandha is a gentle lift of all of those muscles really. Contracting and gripping those muscles is not the way to go. It is more of a general lift of the lower pelvic muscles to first of all prevent a doawnward pressure from inhaling and holding the breath and secondly to encourage the energy in that area to move upward without gripping or constricting the energy flow through too much muscle contraction. I would describe it as the same muscles that you would use to hold back urine or ejaculation when it feels near. You don't want to block off the area nor is it desirable or likely to isolate individual muscle groups. more like if you fill the lungs with air that the pressure does not push down into the pelvis area. It is a mainainance of pelvic tone throughout pranayama.
In correct mulabandha the chest naturally lifts as a result of the lift in the pelvis

Edited by - Victor on Feb 26 2010 04:32:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  2:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Victor, you're a great resource. I became aware of the different muscles from practicing some of the tantric principles long before I found yoga. While it's possible to isolate individual muscle groups, they're still somewhat connected. In a way similar to trying to move just one of my toes and having all the rest of them move also - so are the pelvic muscles related.

Anyway, I just tried out mulabandha and it was quite clunky. Does the belly still go out with full yogic breathing during mulabandha? It seems like any "lifting" comes from the abdominals. The lower muscles groups don't seem to be liftable, but only contractible. So if I'm lifting on the abdominals, I was unable to still do smooth belly breathing.

Maybe you could clarify further. If not, that's fine. I can just lightly flex everything until it starts to make sense.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  2:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah .. that is confusing for me too
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  5:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't puff the belly in pranayama. When the ribs open the diaphragm will open as well. The breath follows the spine
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

The Spinal Breathing Pranayama book has instructions in it on full yogic breathing (belly breathing+), offered as an enhancement for spinal breathing.

It is true that mulabandha involves a slight lift that can bring some compression in the lower abdomen, which can be done near the end of inhalation in a normal full yogic breathing cycle.

As mudras and bandhas refine internally, this compression will be barely noticeable and can be present continuously according to its own need, a mere feeling with little physical manifestation. This is the beginning stage of whole body mudra.

Natural (not exaggerated) full yogic breathing remains primary in spinal breathing and does not conflict with the subtle effects of mulabandha in the pelvic region, or any other subtle mudras and bandhas. In time, all of these elements become quite natural and complementary. It is the inner connectedness of yoga occurring.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that reply Yogani. It has been a month since adding this, and I won't say too much, because I see now how easily mulhabandha could refine differently for different people. But for anybody who's still wondering...

The upward lift makes more sense now. As a recap, I mentioned previously here, none of the lower abdominal muscles or pelvic muscles have the anatomical ability to "flex upwardly" or "pull upward" or cause any physical movement in an upward direction, which was confusing me.

The "upward lift" comes from a slight compression of the abdominals as mentioned by both Yogani and Victor. The light flexing of the lower abdomen increases the pressure there, and causes an internal upward movement of the lower organs (like a liquid or gas in chemistry/physics moving to an area of lower pressure). Compressing the abdomen also counteracts the downward movement of the diaphragm on inhalation. Since the lower organs are compressed, the diaphragm doesn't have as much room to expand downwardly. As a result of this, it expands more upwardly, pressing out more against the ribcage, and the chest tends to lift more naturally at the end of inhalation. All of this means increased internal pressure in the whole torso, and especially the lower torso. So in addition to the direct muscular stimulation of the spinal nerve at the root from mulhabandha, it is also getting a gentle pressure stimulation all the way up to the base of the neck (at full inhalation).

As I'm learning with all the practices here... just do it and it will eventually make sense experientially.

Edited by - JDH on Mar 31 2010 10:58:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  12:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
that sounds right to me, JDH. The chest will lift and widen and as long as it continues to lift and widen during inhalation and retention then you are doing fine. When that opening wants to stop it is time to exhale.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000