Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Some basic "I" analysis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  10:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If "I" is the body, when the body dies there would be nothing. Total annhilation.

If "I" is Brahman, death of the physical body would not matter at all.

So "I" logically must be something in the middle.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Jan 11 2010 12:39:42 PM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  11:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi alwayson, don't know what kind of inquiry or practice you're in to but in Sri Ramana's Self inquiry the I has to go in the end even the concept of Brahman and God until there is nothing left but ....

L&L
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  3:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What we call "I" cannot be found in the elements of the body, in the feelings, perceptions, actions or consciousness. Yet, at the same time, we refer to it, "my body," "my feelings," etc. This is the middle view of "I." The reality itself is beyond views or analysis.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  2:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The thought "I" feels relatively solid and static, even though every aspect of you (and everything) constantly changes.

Your body, emotions, thoughts constantly change. Yet the thought "I" seems static.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  2:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

The thought "I" feels relatively solid and static, even though every aspect of you (and everything) constantly changes.

Your body, emotions, thoughts constantly change. Yet the thought "I" seems static.

The solidity of the "I" thought is the illusion. All the practice of shamatha and vipassana are designed to reveal the transparency and ultimately the non-existence of it. Because the body doesn't identify 'I,' nor does any other skandha. This 'I' is just another fleeting thought, repeatedly pointing to a mass of fluctuations. When I investigate the source of 'I," I get a jumble of waves.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  2:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a quote from this page here: http://the-wanderling.com/muzika.html written by and about Ed Muzika's enlightenment experience....thought it was relevant.

A few moments later came the feeling that even this consciousness, the sense of presence, of Am-ness is unreal, a kind of visual-auditory-tactile illusion added onto pure silence, pure emptiness. About this time, all the forms, sounds, sights and feelings and began to flow together, and I could see their temporary and evanescent nature. There was no I, no world, no body; there was only presence, and even that, I am not. Even the I-Amness, consciousness, was only mindstuff--a construct. I am that I-Am only as long as I live in the illusion of consciousness. Imagination, ideas, and all phenomenal experience were all just mind. The mind does not create the world, the mind is the world; mind is everything. With that I began laughing. What my teacher had said was true, it is all a joke, a tale told by an idiot, implying nothing. Anything said here too is only a conceptualization, mindstuff, therefore a mistake!

Love.
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  2:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the joke part. It is a big cosmic joke.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Jan 13 2010 2:33:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love that Carson. I'm sappy and it brought tears to my eyes. The problem is taking the joke seriously, because that seriously hurts. It feels like being laughed at by everyone in a giant ballroom. As soon as it's a joke, we don't mind it.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  10:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think that the mind is not the world but the result of experiences.this state of existance and non existance or only real existance called samadhi could be the total experience of the primitive source of all existance,SHAKTI
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  10:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry,i forgot to say that parashakti,mother shakti is worshipped in India and in egypt and all around the world since immemorial times,the concept shiva shakti is the egypyian concept of isis and osiris and the fact is that shakti and shiva are indivisibles.our body is shiva and shakti energy consciousness,we can see the duality in every form of existence,thats way even if we cant explain samadhi we can experience it and acknowledge it or identify it.
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  09:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Virincih panchatvam vrajati harir apnoti virathim-vinasam kinaso bhajati dhanado yati nighanam-vitandri mahendri vithathir sammeelita drsa-maha samhare smin viharati sati tvat patirasau-.The creator reaches dissolution,the vishnu attains death,the god of death even dies,kubera the lord of wealth expires,the indras close their eyes one after one and attain the wake less sleep during the final deluge,but you my chaste mother(shakti),you play with your consort the sadashiva(consciousness).26.stanza of Soundarya lahari,by the great, Adi Shankara.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000