Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Bob Cooley's Yoga system
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2006 :  3:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just read "The Genius of Flexibility" by Bob Cooley. Great book. After an accident, he discovered he could cure himself through stretching. He essentially reinvented yoga stretches and the chikung meridian explanations.

Dara Torres who won five medals, two golds swimming in the Sydney Olympics at age 33 after a 7 year layoff credits Bob for her success.

His stretching system is similar to the Russian high-tension forms of contracting the muscle as it's stretched which results in much faster flexibility gains.

It's a very uplifting book. Any comments on the Russian techniques welcome. He likens his system to the way people stretch upon waking up with their hands in the air--we don't merely stretch, we contract our muscles against the stretch to get a superior release with greater safety. He notes that cats stretch in the same way. He's at www.meridianstretching.com and appears to be a happy chap.

-Yoda

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  9:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Incredible book, Yoda! I got the book too. He doesn't call it yoga, but flexibility and strength exercises. What initially attracted me was that the flexibility is supposed to last. but on receiving the book I found out it has medical and psychological effects also. He says he learned to connect with the "genius" in each person he works with, and learn something from each one, if he honors what they say and doesn't detract from it. I think this system is another sign of the increasing spiritual energy of or age! A quote from the back cover:
"It is my strong impression that you have uncovered an entirely new discipline of healthcare." - Dr. Joseph Mercola

and from the book:
"Another day I was stretching the muscles that twist my spine, and I found myself also being affected psychologically. I was becoming more trusting and less paranoid. I decided to see if other people could get the same psychological effects that I was experiencing. I got twenty people together (oh, my trusting friends!) to practice the same stretch for forty five minutes. To our astonishment, everyone in the room began to behave identically. We began to speak the same, act the same, and use the same words to describe our experiences of that particular stretch. We then selected a different stretch for the next forty five minutes. And once again, the whole room changed its personality en masse. I had to conclude from this experiment that different stretches could elicit specific ways of being- personalities, if you will. The exercises were calling forth distinct personalities within each of us. I wasn't just having one "eureka" moment. I was having thousands...and so were my friends. These moments of elucidation continually reinforced my perception that personalities and stretches matched up. The stretches were becoming conjurers calling forth distinct personality types. This ultimately evolved into my theory of the sixteen Genetic Personality Types. I call them the Sixteen Geniuses. People with the same behaviors had the same flexibility patterns. People with the same high personality traits had identical muscle flexibilities. People with the same problems had identical muscle inflexibilities. Identical twins had identical muscle flexibilities."

Etherfish

Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  1:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm impressed with the book, but haven't really gotten into the stretches. I'm following Sonnon's Intu-flow program which is a perpetual motion form of yoga which is entertaining enough for me to stick with. I'm glad that I'm finally getting into some form of stretching as it's really foundational to pranayama and meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Stretch

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  12:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stretch's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meridian Flexibility and Strength Training is a fantatsic system. I've heard Bob Cooley's system called Restistance Strength Training also.
I have read the book and I do all 16 self stretches with FANTASTIC results.We have a local studio in Austin,Texas that teaches Bob Cooley's system and we love it. Unless you try the system you will never understand it because it's so simple and so complex.I've lost 20 yrs of lower back and foot pain and 20 pounds of weight. That's just my 2 cents first hand from a horses mouth.

Edited by - Stretch on Jun 30 2006 12:20:51 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000